PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in England..

speedylemons
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:25 PM
What are some good thrift stores in england? I love thrifting here in the U.S., and that would be SO cool to get a bunch of cheap vintage clothes in the uk during my trip. Also, what are some good gardens to see? Any other suggestions for a couple of 20-yr olds?

Thanks! :D

Nadine
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:05 PM
What part of England will you be visiting?

Maisiepaisie
Jul 9th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I love thrifting here in the U.S., and that would be SO cool to get a bunch of cheap vintage clothes in the uk during my trip.:DI think you're gonna be disappointed, this is rip off Britain. You may get lucky at a car boot sale but other than that everythings more expensive here than the US, even 2nd hand stuff :(

Poppy
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Yep, that's true. I second that Maisiepaisie ;) :) x

Blueshark
Jul 10th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Check out The National Trust, (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/) for interesting places to visit.

I was dragged to these sort of places as a wee nipper.

If you do get chance, take a trip up to Scotland and visit a haunted castle.

speedylemons
Jul 10th, 2006, 02:19 AM
aww.. that stinks about the expensive thrift. :( I'll be staying in cambridge..

herbwormwood
Jul 10th, 2006, 10:54 AM
most towns which have shops here have a good range of charity shops selling secondhand stuff. Some are cheaper than others. Oxfam is a fairly good one but it has supported send a cow schemes. PDSA is probably the best vegan friendly one, also Salvation Army, MIND, and Red Cross shops are OK. Avoid British Heart Foundation, Scope, Marie Curie Cancer Care, Cancer Research Campaign charity shops if you don't want to fund animal experiments.
Look in the local paper what's on section for "jumble sales" These are usually in church halls and raise money for churches upkeep. They are not so common nowadays since the popularity of car boot sales.
Kew Gardens is a must see (London) also Edinburgh has a great botanical garden. The Red Cross does open days in gardens all across the UK, which are private gardens open to the public for 1 day usually. Also, everything is cheaper in the North.

paulvegan
Jul 10th, 2006, 11:10 AM
hi there are a couple of eating places i know of in cambridge the first is
the rainbow
9a King's Parade.

the other is
'The Pear Tree'
Hildersham
Cambridge also try looking at this

www.vegancambridge.org.uk. (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/www.vegancambridge.org.uk)

also try the smaller charity(thrift shops) but i dont think u will get cheap vintage clothes,
good luck and enjoy your stay :)

Mr Flibble
Jul 10th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Also, everything is cheaper in the North.

Except petrol - it's generally about 6p a litre cheaper in the West Midlands than Cumbria :p

herbwormwood
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Maybe so. We live in the North conurbation of Tyne and Wear where filling stations are ten a penny unless you need biodeisel, also I believe much of the UK's petrol is imported just up the road in South Sheilds or Tyne Dock, whereas Cumbria is a rural area where the distribution of filling stations are less dense and the Lake District is a place where tourists get ripped off. We don't often venture West of Haltwhistle!