PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in your dinner?

Pages : 1 [2]

lozza
Jul 17th, 2006, 10:34 AM
i know this isnt the same... but someone at work found a dead fly inside a grape. the good thing was that the grapes were in the fridge to be sold to customers. but this person took them home and ate them. then found the fly.

if a customer had bought the grapes and eaten them & found the fly, we could have been majorly sued/shut down :| yet it wasnt even our fault, it was that of our supplier.

at work once, as well, i found a little bug inside a lettuce we had had delivered. i got a fright and it fell on the floor. i didnt wanna hurt it, but my boss was like "kill it!" and i said no cos i felt bad and she goes "well it couldnt care about you, so why should you care about it?" bitch.

sandra
Jul 17th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Lol. Weevils are cute. Weeble kind of suits them ;)

I like their long 'noses' :) (http://www.doc.govt.nz/whats-new/presult.asp?prID=2168)
They are cute aren't they, the time I had them in flour I thought they were tiny specks of something and then one of them started walking about, I felt so sorry for the poor wee things. I didn't know what to do so I just put the bag of flour in the garden, do you think I did the right thing?

sandra
Jul 17th, 2006, 11:25 AM
i know this isnt the same... but someone at work found a dead fly inside a grape. the good thing was that the grapes were in the fridge to be sold to customers. but this person took them home and ate them. then found the fly.

if a customer had bought the grapes and eaten them & found the fly, we could have been majorly sued/shut down :| yet it wasnt even our fault, it was that of our supplier.

at work once, as well, i found a little bug inside a lettuce we had had delivered. i got a fright and it fell on the floor. i didnt wanna hurt it, but my boss was like "kill it!" and i said no cos i felt bad and she goes "well it couldnt care about you, so why should you care about it?" bitch.
Yes, Iozza, she sounds nasty, what a silly thing to say!
I once heard a neighbour of mine in his back garden saying after he deliberately stood on an insect, 'There you go Mr bug, great life you had' and I thought 'What a pathetic human being you are', I sat in the sun daydreaming that a giant alien would appear and step on him! :)

lozza
Jul 17th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Yes, Iozza, she sounds nasty, what a silly thing to say!
I once heard a neighbour of mine in his back garden saying after he deliberately stood on an insect, 'There you go Mr bug, great life you had' and I thought 'What a pathetic human being you are', I sat in the sun daydreaming that a giant alien would appear and step on him! :)

hehe, funny imagery :) silly man!

Gorilla
Jul 17th, 2006, 01:18 PM
when i buy lettuces or cabbages etc. from my local wholefood store they're always absolutely covered in aphids on the inside. i don't really know what to do about them so i don't buy them from there anymore. i found a big spider hiding in some broccoli once too.

Haniska
Jul 17th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Lol Juice. Yeh the eggs are in the food, which then hatch a while later in your cupboard. They're not real 'worms', they're the larvae of insects.

Weebles!??? :D You mean Weevils? Weevils are little tiny beetles.
Aren't these (http://www.feelingretro.com/view_toy.cfm?id=81)weebles?!:D

YAY! "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down! The Playschool Weebles farm!"
Hehehe.

As for the posts about buying prepackaged produce to avoid bugs, I do the same, but of course that just means the company rinsed them themselves :( Gah. Another reason I find it uneasy being chreesly.

sandra
Jul 17th, 2006, 06:11 PM
YAY! "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down! The Playschool Weebles farm!"
Hehehe.

As for the posts about buying prepackaged produce to avoid bugs, I do the same, but of course that just means the company rinsed them themselves :( Gah. Another reason I find it uneasy being chreesly.
Haniska, I love that song, they used to sing that to my friend at work sometimes, I don't know why, she found it funny too! :)

Wildflower
Jul 18th, 2006, 01:21 AM
I find bugs in dry goods like flour and pasta sometimes. :( It sucks cause once you buy a bag of flour with those weeble weevel things they spread all over your house and you are stuck with them until winter. It happened a few years ago to me with whole wheat flour and tiny little ant like things which then infested all the rest of my food promptly. :mad: And it has happened to my mom with white flour.

Recently I bought I huge tomato with a dead worm in it... :eek:

Jamie
Jul 18th, 2006, 06:25 PM
yeah I feel the indecision as to what to do with (live) bugs - I always thought when I started buying organic/farm produce that was likely to have bugs that I could wash them off... but now you mention it that is killing them. You can't really just leave it on a table outside for them to move out of naturally....! :(

I'm sure I've read somewhere that keeping flour in the freezer avoids bugs, but I'm not sure if this kills them or just keeps them from hatching.

lozza
Jul 18th, 2006, 09:07 PM
today i tried to explain to my supervisor why i dont like killing bugs. (she would happily do it) because all creatures are equal and she looked at me with a puzzled look on her face & she was like "why do you care?" and i tried to say to her that a bee has the same value as a dog or a cat, for example.

she still didnt understand :p

Haniska
Jul 19th, 2006, 08:10 PM
yeah I feel the indecision as to what to do with (live) bugs - I always thought when I started buying organic/farm produce that was likely to have bugs that I could wash them off... but now you mention it that is killing them. You can't really just leave it on a table outside for them to move out of naturally....! :(

I'm sure I've read somewhere that keeping flour in the freezer avoids bugs, but I'm not sure if this kills them or just keeps them from hatching.

It's likely that it keeps them from hatching. And then we eat them. Wow, another reason I'm glad I seriously reduced my grains.

cwih57
Jul 22nd, 2006, 03:02 AM
I've had green worms in my dry pasta a couple of times, so did my grandma, she now keeps every single dry food item in the deep freezer, she has 3 large size deep freezers, everything from pepper to pasta to flour to crackers goes in the deep freeze.

I wash my fresh stuff carefully and check dry goods, I know it kills bugs when I wash them down the sink off the veggies, but thats one of the places I have to draw the line.

Frank
Oct 24th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Some figs have a dead tiny wasp inside. I've stopped eating figs, not because I might eat the wasp (it's rotted away by then anyway) but because some farmers exploit the wasps. See here....

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/pljune99.htm

I think there's a thread about this somewhere.

I was happily reading here and eating my dried figs....!

I looked at the link and it was quite interesting.

I wouldn't really fancy eating any more, just on the basis that a female fig wasp might be in there (doubt I would find one in a dried fig anyway).

I've always kept dried food in a cupboard, never thought of using a fridge before.

Before I start on the dried sultanas i've got in the cupboard - has anyone got a horror story I need to hear?!:(

Risker
Oct 24th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Two that I find prevalent are maggots in chestnuts and a larvae of some sort in blackcurrants (Not sure what it is now, I know I identified it and posted about it in the garden thread)

I've got fruit flies in my kitchen at the moment, they're driving me nuts.

yasha
Oct 24th, 2006, 11:52 AM
I was eating a nectarine once and upon getting to the sweet, juicy, yummy center, I discovered I had been eating the apartmet complex of a dozen or so white worms, all wriggling about the core of the fruit, as if to say "STOP EATING MY HOME!"

I have since cut every fruit in slices prior to consuming.

doglover
Oct 28th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I don't know about bugs, but I always noticed that when I ate dulse or other seaweed I'd occasionally bite down on a tiny piece of something crunchy. I finally realized these were teeny tiny little snail type shells. Hopefully the creature that used to inhabit the shell was gone, but I don't know for sure so I always inspect my seaweed now.