PDA

View Full Version : New Luna Bars

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Limey
Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:36 PM
I got the Lemon one, just to try, and it had that same awful fishy taste. :mad: But I DID figure out exactly what the taste was - scallops with lemon juice. That's the taste. Nastiness.

xwitchymagicx
Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
I don't think I'm buying any of them again, the three I tried were disgusting. :( So I'm not wasting money trying the others.

FR
Jul 27th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Wow. I know everytime a new flavor comes out I'm like "these are the best ones ever"... Well, this time that statement has never been more true!! I've tried the "Morning Sunrise" Luna Bars. I had strawberries and creme, and the even better blueberry yogurt ones. OMG'z, freaking fabulous. I especially loved biting into the blueberry one and to my surprise chewing whole blueberries burried under crispy oats and a hella sweet soy yogurt topping. A few guys and I at Trader Joe's were talking about how they say "made for women" on the packaging, but how we eat them anyway because they're so damn good!! One of the workers there said they say that because they are lower in calories when compared to their cousin, Clif Bars, and because the high soy content helps to prevent breast cancer.

flvegan
Jul 27th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Veganbear, I totally understand where your coming from with the whole sour & tart thing. I also agree about it not tasting like "real" lemons if it's sweet, but most things that contain lemon flavor usually has the sweeter taste to it, I guess it just appeals to more people if it's a tad sweeter? I'm not really sure about the reasoning for it.:confused:
But for the most part, I think that the Luna bars have a bit more of the "sweet" factor going on, at least that's been my experience with any of their flavors.

Xwitchymagicx, I can't say that I blame you for not wanting to try anymore, they are a bit more expensive than say a regular ole' candy bar, but of course candy bars don't have all the good stuff in them either!:p
But don't give up on protein bars altogether, I'm sure that there's a brand out there that you'll find that you'll like.

FR, I'm with you. I still love them, I haven't seen any of the Morning Sunshine line, but will be looking for them.

There seems to be a defiante, Love or Hate relationship when it comes down to the protein bars, or pertaining to this particular thread, to certain flavors. I really think for most people they are an acquired taste, no matter what brand they buy, although I'm sure some are really horrible. They are not something that I buy on a regular basis, but love having one occasionally.:D

Thanks for posting about the Sunshine line, I'll be excited to find them!

Michelle

cedarblue
Jul 27th, 2006, 06:00 PM
where in the uk can i get them from to try???

Haniska
Jul 27th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I gotta buy some tomorrow, I will be out with my friends at Busch Gardens. Too bad I don't drink beer

maya
Jul 27th, 2006, 09:23 PM
BOOOBERRY!!!! STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM!!!!! Double yum! Must add thise to Sundays shopping list! Thanks for the info Mista FR.

Veganbear
Jul 27th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I especially loved biting into the blueberry one and to my surprise chewing whole blueberries burried under crispy oats and a hella sweet soy yogurt topping.

WHOLE BLUEBERRIES??? Next time I come across them I HAVE to try one!!!

meggymaggoo
Jul 28th, 2006, 04:46 AM
where in the uk can i get them from to try???

Hello :)

They sell them at:

www.veganstore.co.uk

If they are in stock! I haven't tried them yet but shall do asap.

:)

cedarblue
Jul 28th, 2006, 03:05 PM
thanks meggy, must have missed them there :)

meggymaggoo
Jul 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Cedarblue, I love your profile picture - you look SO nice!

The Luna, Trek and Cliff bars are under Baked Goods in the Sweet Things section. Expensive though!

FR
Jul 29th, 2006, 05:37 AM
I tried the new mint flavored Clif Builder bar yesterday. It's probably the best of the four flavors.

Haniska
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:08 PM
Ok, after reading all these posts touting the great taste of these Luna bars, I went out and got three to try. And all I have to say, IMO, is: awful, awful, awful.
To me they have some sort of weird flavor in there going on that basically tastes like dried fish guts, in all honesty. I don't know how to describe it other than it being kind of fishy and mangey. Ugh.
I used to be addicted to Zone bars and those, other than the Balance Trail Mix bars, are the only ones I could deal with. They're not vegan, though, which is probably good for me since I used to eat them like they were candy bars. :rolleyes:

Oh man Limey,

I bought a lemon luna bar and a peanut butter bar like I said. AND NOW I KNOW what you mean! EEEW! I think it it the fortification.

ALexiconofLove
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Question:

At the end of the ingredients lists for Luna and Clif Bars, there's a long section of "Vitamins & Minerals." Are all these things definitely from Vegan sources? I'm specifically worried about the B12. I've been searching around online but haven't figured it out yet.

Fuhzy
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:32 AM
"Are there any animal products in LUNA bars?
LUNA bars do not contain animal products or ingredients sourced from animal products."

but if you care

"What is the Organic Palm Kernel Oil in LUNA bars?
Organic Palm Kernel Oil is an ingredient in the creamy, soy coating of LUNA bars that keeps the coating from melting at room temperature. Palm kernel oil is a natural saturated fat, which is not a source of trans fat."

Kitteh
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Tried to get them imported to Australia but no go for the time being, but now I have read all these mixed comments about them! I had only read good comments before now..

fondducoeur
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I love Luna Bars.
My favorites are Dulce De Leche, Lemon Zest, and Peanut Butter Cookie.
I don't like the Chai one (which is surprising because normally I love Chai).
I eat one for breakfast very often:)

vava
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:03 PM

sainsburys in the free from section in my store

cedarblue
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:13 PM
thanks vava! i'll check it out, but that section in my local store is not very good.

vava
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:28 PM
thanks vava! i'll check it out, but that section in my local store is not very good.

I know I can buy some and then have a nibble at them to try them and then send them on to you!:D

Gorilla
Oct 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM
just checking back on this old thread because i'm having a big Luna Bar phase at the moment. i've never seen them in Sainsburys, i can only get them from Veganstore and they're VERY expensive, but SO yummy. we can only get four flavours here i think, the S'mores one is my favourite but i also like the Chocolate Pecan Pie. no fishy taste there!

imblissful
Oct 7th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I like Lara bars. They used to be hard to find, but now they are in every store I go to, and so many flavors. I noticed that you gan buy them by the case on amazon. They have a pruney taste, but I like them that way. I may have to get a couple cases. I put them in my truck and eat them as a snack, between meals.

Gorilla
Oct 7th, 2008, 03:08 PM
i wish Amazon sold them by the case in the UK! i don't find them pruney at all.

green woman
Oct 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM
just checking back on this old thread because i'm having a big Luna Bar phase at the moment. i've never seen them in Sainsburys, i can only get them from Veganstore and they're VERY expensive, but SO yummy. we can only get four flavours here i think, the S'mores one is my favourite but i also like the Chocolate Pecan Pie. no fishy taste there!
I've seen them in my local Sainsbury's (two varieties, but it was some time ago and I can't remember which ones). I tried them but didn't like them very much so didn't buy anymore.

Don't Infinity sell them?

Gorilla
Oct 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM
no, i'm pretty sure i've never seen them in Infinity.