PDA

View Full Version : Barbeques - work of the devil?

Pages : [1] 2

Hemlock
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Am I alone in hating barbeques? What is it with summer and the burnt black on the outside and raw in the inside food phenomenon...and the perpetual stink of them all summer!!!
Even vegan barbeques suck!
If I've got friends coming over I'll cook the day before and have a picnic outside or whatever, not spend five hours trying to light the coals then burn whatever it is to a crisp! I can make much nicer stuff, hummus, salads, cold pasta salad or whatever than burnt veggie burgers and black tofu on a stick!
I think they are the work of the devil......anyone with me on this?:D

Enchantress
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:29 PM
They're rubbish. My parents have a habit of giving me one for my birthday too. Lucky me :rolleyes:. Incidentally, I think Devil's Barbecue is my new nickname, Pob gave it to me.

Pob
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Don't say that!!! :mad:

I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about where VBB would end up if he wasn't careful!!! And it was Satan's Barbecue.

And now no-one has a clue what this is about!

I actually like barbecued burgers. Fry's ones come out pretty nice, and it's not so hot as cooking in the kitchen in this heat. We have a gas one, though, so it's a bit easier not to char everything.

Enchantress
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Oh yeah, it was Satan's Barbecue. It looked like you were talking about me though :p.

Pob
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Only if you have a filthy depraved mind! :eek:

Erm, yeah it did look like it :o

paulvegan
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM
you called

sandra
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I hate barbeques, this past few weeks it has been really warm here but I have to keep my windows closed because of the horrible smell wafting in from peoples barbeques! :(
I wouldn't mind so much if they were veggie ones but when you know what they are probably burning it makes me feel ill!

Tigerlily
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I like barbeques but our bbq is really shitty and doesn't work good. It takes ages to heat up.

Pob
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM
you called* Shuffles up and makes room for another one on Satan's Barbecue *
It's getting quite crowded on here.

Enchantress
Jul 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Tell me about it. *Swats vegan men away*.

Kiran
Jul 12th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I am Indian and in the very short time I have been exposed to the barbecue culture in this country, I have to admit that I like the concept, but not burning animal carcass. I like having a good barbecued vegan burger in the company of friends and chatting away. :)

Vegan cat
Jul 12th, 2006, 01:48 PM
they have an advert on at the moment - its showing some sausages on a BBQ - it is basically warning people to make sure they cook their meat properly. :mad:

sandra
Jul 12th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Yes, I have seen that one, I can't help chuckling though at the thought of someone getting food poisoning through eating animals, I know that's not very nice of me but it's like the animals are getting a little bit of revenge!

Vegan cat
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:20 PM
:p I agree.

It makes me feel sick when I watch it.

Hopefully the look of undercooked sausages will put people off all togther!

Mr Flibble
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM
barbeques are ace! :D

I've got my own big gas one at my parent's for vegan use only. I'm about to buy a small gas one for camping (more environmentally friendly than using disposible ones). Unfortunately my only outside space is a small balcony with glass panels that probably wouldn't enjoy getting hot :(

I do have an indoor chargrilling thing thou :)

mandycoot
Jul 12th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I hate them! At my college, as soon as the weather turns warm there are BBQs every afternoon for some function or another. I live on the quad so they happen alllll the time there, but I can't shut my windows or the ratties will roast as there's no air conditioning :(

claireyveg
Jul 13th, 2006, 12:33 PM
i don't think it's possible to hate bbq's in Australia, lol, even though i dislike or can't eat most of the food served at family, social bbq's i still enjoy the whole "ness" of a bbq, so relaxed, i love eating outside, *snuggles back into her doona, and waits impatiently for summer's return*

aubergine
Jul 13th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I love barbeques. When I get a house I'll have to have a Vegan BBQ housewarming and we'll have some barbequed Fry's burgers, sausages and veggie kebabs.

Portobello mushrooms make a very good burger filling. If there's any left :D

jenny76g
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I like family bbq's! The only thing is if it's at my sisters house, her and her hubby always make way too much food and loads of left over meat :mad: poor animal! :(

There's usually a lot of vegan food, the usual fake meat things, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, bbq'd pineapple on salad yummmm!

puffin
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I like BBQs to (only vegan ones though). I usually have them with my in laws and its a nice chance to get together and drink lots of wine.

Limey
Jul 13th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I'm kind of in love with bbq's.

Mr Flibble
Jul 13th, 2006, 07:01 PM
careful limey, you may get burnt

Limey
Jul 13th, 2006, 07:20 PM
careful limey, you may get burnt
Heh. That was corny, like my dad. :p

Haniska
Jul 14th, 2006, 03:34 AM
I always have a barbequed portebello, nicer than fake meats to me and also people are more willing to try them.

claireyveg
Jul 14th, 2006, 04:39 AM
mmmm portabello mushrooms, mmm *dreams of summer*