PDA

View Full Version : Labeling on tahini

Haniska
Jul 12th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I noticed a lot of vegan sites recomend tahini for extra calcium. Most tahini I've bought says 2% per serving for calcium and iron, then the other day I bought a different brand that says 0% calcium and 6% iron. How odd! Sesame seeds cannot vary that much can they? Do all companies test their finished product or is it possible they are getting their information from a bad source?
I always thought it was funny that something with only 2% calcium would be noted but now I am thinking that maybe it says otherwise on other brands.

Tigerlily
Jul 13th, 2006, 12:17 AM
If it's been labelled in the Middle East, don't rely on the labels for the truth. I bought a jar that was labelled in the Middle East and it said tahini had no fat. HAHAHAHAHA.

Haniska
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Hahahaha

Tigerlily
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:26 AM
It also said 0 calories.

Oh dear. I pity the fool who believed that.

mophoto
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:27 AM
that would be my dream- tahini everyday!!!

Tigerlily
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Until nothing no longer fit. Haha.

Haniska
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:37 AM
WOW. Zero calories! Did it have a serving size?

Tigerlily
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:38 AM
I don't remember. The label was in Arabic.

Haniska
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Did it have a serving size?

Tigerlily
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I don't remember. The label was in Arabic.

Haniska
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Did you buy it at Big Lots? My family used to buy japanese dream whip there.

Tigerlily
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:44 AM
No, we don't have Big Lots here in Atlantic Canada. I bought it at a Middle Eastern store.

mophoto
Jul 13th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Did you buy it at Big Lots? My family used to buy japanese dream whip there.

that's hilarious. i wish we had tahini at big lots:D

Limey
Jul 13th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Big Lots has some bizarre shit there. I only expect pure crap to be sold there, yet every once in awhile I am amazed.

moonshadow
Jul 15th, 2006, 10:38 PM
tahini from whole sesame seeds (dark tahini) will have a different nutritional value than tahini made from hulled sesame seeds (also called light tahini). could this be the source of the discrepancy?

Haniska
Jul 17th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Interesting thank you, I assume the dark is better?
I get soymilk at Big Lots for $1 a quart, and it is good stuff, even has fiber in it. I also get hummus on a regular basis and various sauces, pasta dinners and soups. Many of them are actually labeled "Vegan" ! The thing about Big Lots is that they don't necassarily sell crap. They sell overstocks from other companies. Whatever those may be. For example if a company bought too many soymilks from the supplier and couldn't sell them all, or if the supplier produced too many, they sell them to Big Lots at a lower rate and Big Lots passes the savings onto the customer. OH! I've also bought peace cereal there several times.

lozza
Jul 17th, 2006, 09:37 AM
tahini smells like peanut butter to me :P

moonshadow
Jul 18th, 2006, 12:00 PM
i like it on toast better than peanut butter. especially with some marmite :)

from what i'm aware of, the dark has more nutritional value and is therefore better for you... it's said to have a bitter taste, but i don't eat the light, so have nothing to compare to. i don't find it bitter.