PDA

View Full Version : spring rolls vegan?

Pages : [1] 2

GreenEnvy
Jul 13th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Hi,

Are spring rolls from chinese take-aways vegan?

Thanks..

Mr Flibble
Jul 13th, 2006, 04:30 PM
erm, my piece of string is 13.5cm long. What about yours?

In answer to your question there is no answer - ask each one individually

Roxy
Jul 13th, 2006, 04:32 PM
A lot of them contain egg, either in the filling or as an ingredient in the wrapping. Mr Flibble is right - you should check with each restaurant because they are all different.

RossClement
Jul 13th, 2006, 06:01 PM
A lot of them contain egg, either in the filling or as an ingredient in the wrapping. Mr Flibble is right - you should check with each restaurant because they are all different.

Even those without egg may have animal based stocks used for cooking the vegetables inside.

Spring rolls are easy and, in my opinion, fun to make.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Mr Flibble
Jul 13th, 2006, 06:29 PM
or cooked in animal fat or in vegetable oil with animal products

maya
Jul 13th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I make mine myself also. Yummy! Yeah but most place use egg.:mad:

Skajen
Jul 13th, 2006, 07:10 PM
spring rolls you buy from supermarket in party packs tend to be ok :o

tilly
Jul 13th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I looked at some spring rolls from ASDA the other day, and they had SEAFOOD in them!!!

I mean WTF?!?! :mad:

I complained all the way home :D

sandra
Jul 13th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Does anyone have a recipe for home made spring rolls? :)

mandycoot
Jul 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Spring roll wrappers are usually rice-based, while eggroll wrappers are egg-based. However, as the cuisine gets adapted for Western audiences, often the wrappers are interchanged or given additional ingredients. Blah.

I'm afraid I don't have a recipe, but you can make the fresh spring rolls with the clearish rice wrapping (Vietnamese banh trang, I think they're called) with any ingredients you like :) I like to fill the wrappings with fresh shredded veggies and TVP or tofu bits and dip in peanut sauce.

sandra
Jul 13th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Thank you they sound really tasty! :)

foxytina_69
Jul 14th, 2006, 02:35 AM
yes, just ask the restaurant!

Roxy
Jul 14th, 2006, 06:29 AM
spring rolls you buy from supermarket in party packs tend to be ok :o

Very true but they are ohhhh soooo fattening! :( It's been a while since I've had a springy.

claireyveg
Jul 14th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I used to get these frozen ones that i cooked in the oven, that cut the fat down alot, they were the mini ones, sooo good, i much prefer rice paper rolls now though filled with shredded lettuce/cabbage carrot, spring onion, mango, bean sprouts, vermacelli noodles, and make a seseme soy dipping sauce mmmm

sandra
Jul 14th, 2006, 10:09 AM
yes, just ask the restaurant!
Hi tina, I'll try that, although last weekend I asked a new restaurant just opened here, what was in their vegetable samosas? The reply was 'I don't know my mother makes them', I think it must be an old family recipe and he didn't want to share it with me. I don't have much luck with restaurants, but I'll give it a go with the spring rolls! :)

foxytina_69
Jul 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM
lol well that was reliable!!! jeez.

most places will be reilable though! just say its an allergy and you get a better quicker response!

sandra
Jul 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM
That's a good idea, I'll say I'm lactose intolerant, and I'm allergic to eggs aswell!

Roxy
Jul 14th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Somebody had a good idea in another thread a while ago. If you want to use the "allergy" option, just say that you are unable to digest any animal proteins.

Tigerlily
Jul 15th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I never had a spring roll. Am I missing out?

moonshadow
Jul 15th, 2006, 11:30 PM
yes, indeed you are, tigerlilly!

so, in the uk, you can get spring rolls by biona from health food stores, one variety is vegan, one isn't. very tasty, but best hot (though you can eat them straight from the pack, too).

the oriental food market in our town sells frozen spring roll wrappers that aren't the spongy rice sort that are vegan. i'll pop over this week and find out what the brand is, if they're still stocking them.

foxytina_69
Jul 16th, 2006, 01:47 AM
yes tigerlily. theyre delicious, greasy (in a good way) filled with veggies/sprouts and theyre a crispy delicious delight. especially if dipped in plum sauce or sweet and sour sauce. mmmmmmmmm.

Tigerlily
Jul 16th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Yum!

Roxy
Jul 16th, 2006, 05:32 AM
The Thai restaurant that we go to occaisionally, make a vegan spring roll. They are deep fried, so not so good for health, but ohhh man - they are TASTY!

sandra
Jul 16th, 2006, 10:59 AM
They sound delicious Roxy, and I must try that 'Can't digest animal protein' thing aswell. Was everyone else off the forum for a day, or was it just me? Anyway, I'm glad we're back! :)

xwitchymagicx
Jul 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I looked at some spring rolls from ASDA the other day, and they had SEAFOOD in them!!!

I mean WTF?!?! :mad:

I complained all the way home :D

I noticed that at my ASDA to, also complained, well until I got to the milk section then started complaining about that. :p