PDA

View Full Version : Black & White Ball - recipes wanted

Squeakity
Jul 20th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Howdy all,
My husband and a friend are having a joint b-day party in September; The Black & White Ball, for which everything is to be, you guessed it, black and white. We've got oodles of dessert items lined up, but just a couple of regular food items that fit the theme. Recipes would be great, but just a concept would also be smashing. Stuff so far is white rice w/black beans, blackened chicken...I'm sure there's some kind of white dipping sause in there. Thanks in advance.

Squeak

Cherry
Jul 20th, 2006, 05:36 PM
blackened chicken

:eek: ????????????

Vegan white chocolate and darkest choc you can find cheesecake?

Haniska
Jul 20th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Chicken?

Wishin986
Jul 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Try and make a vegan version of those half moon cakes/cookies

Squeakity
Jul 20th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Naw, you read right- blackened chicken. Of course, I won't be partaking of any, but seeing as how the guests of honor are both omni, I can't very well ask for everything to be vegan. I'm sure if I asked, we could include some blackened chik'n. ;)

Squeak

Pob
Jul 20th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Of course you could make everything vegan! There's nothing stopping omnis eating vegan food! It's not like it's horrible and full of nasty crap!

Making the food black and white does kind of restrict choice, though. :(

absentmindedfan
Jul 21st, 2006, 10:51 PM
Black olives, silverskin pickled onions, and a black and white crowbar to open the omni minds to vegan food! :)

Besides, meat&dairy isn't even food. It's just about edible. Instead of nourishing you and keeping you healthy, it kills you. You can eat and digest leather and Playdoh but that doens't make that food, the same goes for meat and dairy.

aubergine
Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Mmmm. Black olives.

VeganJohn
Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately, some people 'can't not eat meat' and hate vegetables and fruit etc. People are so damn fussy about food that they are afraid to try anything new. A lot of omnis seem to find hummus and soya milk particularly vile.

How about some vegan caviar?

Make some quiches, cheesecake, mock meat snadwishes and have loads of different dips and breadsticks etc. How about a trifle? I know, strawberries dipped in chocolate - mmmmm. Plenty of vegan cake too.

VeganJohn
Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
OMG 'snadwishes' - sandwiches I meant to say :D

VeganJohn
Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:50 AM
Aaaarh, forgot it was 'black and white' food. I'm totally stuck then, sorry!!

Black olive tapenade and white breadsticks.

insubordination
Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:12 PM
You shouldn't have told us about the chicken, we'll dwell on it. It's great you're introducing a lot of vegan food though.

*Eggplant has black-ish skin. What about that roasted and stir-fried in some dark lookin' noodles with dark green leafies and soy sauce?

*Black/pumpernickel bread cut into squares topped with white bean hommous or baba ganoosh and skinned cucumber and a black olive half.

*Black bean nachos (Amy's brand has 'em canned) with tortillas or white corn chips.

*Nori rolls with white rice and cooked, dark coloured mushrooms in the middle.

You're right, the desserts are much easier. I know you have some ideas already but I couldn't resist. How about...

*Blackberries/mulberries dipped in 70% dark chocolate.
*Dried blueberries look black.
*Dates stuffed with macadamia butter.
*Vegan marshmallows dipped in vegan chocolate.
*Coconut cream pie with crushed chocolate biscuits for a crust.

Found this recipe - have never tried it.

Super Snowballs - Sue Belfitt

1/3 block copha (that's hydrogenated coconut oil)
2 tblsp macadamia paste
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups raisins
2 cups sultanas
Shredded coconut

Melt the copha with the nut paste. Place rolled oats, raisins, sultanas and melted copha in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture forms a ball around the blade. Shape into large balls and roll in shredded coconut. Refrigerate until set.

Wildflower
Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:05 PM
mushrooms are black when cooked/grilled.

how about grilled portabella mushroom caps?

tofu is white, you could stuff them with tofu, or do tofu kabobs or blackened tofu for the veggie people.

cauliflower is white...i don't like it so i don't have any recipes, but you could do an au gratin (with soycheese) or a creamed (with soymilk) cauliflower soup.

fingerling potatoes with olive oil and spices - like a warm or cold potato salad

let's see...what else is white? rice, potatoes, bread, cauliflower, white asparagus, raw white mushrooms, macadamia nuts, soymilk, tofu, soycheese, edible flowers, coconut, sugar, white beans, white chocolate, flour products like biscuits or cakes or cookies.

And for black...a little harder. cooked mushrooms, black olives, licorice, black beans, dark chocolate, coffee, black soybeans, soysauce, blackened seeds - like seasame or naturally black seeds like poppy, blackened sugar (like on creme brulee). look at this link for japenese black foods -> http://smt.blogs.com/japanese_food/

Squeakity
Jul 25th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Wow! I tell, you leave these forums to simmer for a few days and...wow. I was not expecting anything nearly so complete or creative; thanks oodles everyone!