PDA

View Full Version : Office food

pavotrouge
Jul 21st, 2006, 08:48 PM
Finally, I also joined the club of 9 to 5 office workers.
Usually, I am really creative when it comes to cooking and planning meals, but I always seem to end up with some grain and veg salad and fruit at work.

I haven't got a possibility to heat anything at work (except for an electric kettle) and don't particularly like sandwiches.

One thing I really enjoy is taking onigiri and sushi to work, but that is getting boring, as well.

I'd love to hear what you eat at work!

Steffi

Pob
Jul 21st, 2006, 09:09 PM
Is there no chance at all they might get a microwave?

Maybe all the office staff could chip in. They're not expensive and it would give you more options. I quite often take in leftover pasta, curry, chilli etc and reheat in the microwave.

Otherwise it is a sandwich, salad, cold pasta salad or something like that.

pavotrouge
Jul 21st, 2006, 09:16 PM
Yeah, a microwave would be fab but the others are alle quite happy, bringing something from the bakery or eating Japanese instant ramen noodles (really, each and every day!).
One of my co-workers who would support me with more balanced food is on a raw vegan diet, so no sense in getting a microwave for her :rolleyes:

The boss is also quite stingy :mad:

At least we've got a fridge, so I'm going to stock it with soy yoghurt :p

Tigress
Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:47 PM
How about some soup? You could put that in a thermos flask and it should keep hot enough until lunchtime

insubordination
Jul 22nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
I usually buy lunch. Expensive but there's some great options around my workplace. Too bad you can't heat/don't like sandwiches much.

Apart from obvious things like salad, you could try dips and crudites (I like guacamole/hommous with carrot and celery), gezpacho soup (yum!), bombay/bujha mix, felafel balls and tabouli with stuffed vine leaves/cabbages, home made pesto with crackers (you just need fresh basil, almonds, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice and oil), marinated tofu ain't bad cold either. Chuck in some nice raw nuts for a snack too.

Of course, you have to work up the effort to prepare it all. You could do most of it on the weekend. Does anyone have the link to that vegan lunchbox blog?

Klutz
Jul 22nd, 2006, 04:36 PM
http://www.veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

I literally drool when I read that website. Wish I could make some of that stuff, but a great deal of what she uses is simply not available here. :(

insubordination
Jul 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks for that link. I forgot about loaves. There are so many recipes for lentil loaf etc. that would be nice cold.

Hemlock
Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
I never get bored of sandwiches - I love bread.:)

jennyL
Jul 23rd, 2006, 04:07 AM
I'd probably just take leftovers and eat them cold. Cold rice and beans, cold noodles, cold pasta....but eating them cold doesn't bother me at all. Maybe take a great big salad with lots of stuff in it.

Wildflower
Jul 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
i have a microwave at work, but most days i let my food sit on my desk and eat it room temp!

I bring leftovers for lunch, mainly beans and veggies. I love sandwiches, but not the kind i make at home, they are a bit boring and get soggy before lunch. i love freshly made deli sandwiches.

generally, i eat breakfast at home. i bring a few peices of fruit for morning and afternoon snacks and sometimes nuts like almonds or walnuts. then my lunch is black beans with chopped veggies or some other type of leftover food.

I have been eating sandwiches lately and plan to bring some next week (tofurky with veggies).

there are several instant meal cups we have here in the US - you just add boiling water. rice noodle packets from Thai Kitchen and noodle bowls or instand mashed potatoes or soup cups. you can also make oatmeal with boiling water or some quik pastas if you add it and then cover the mug with a plate/paper towel. hot water can be used to heat soy hot dogs/sausages too.

i also like crackers with sandwich like toppings, it is a bit better than a boring soggy sandwich. crackers with avacado, tomatoes, soy cheese, smoke tofurky, etc. are good. i buy woven wheat crackers (like triscuit brand here in the US).

Wildflower
Jul 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
also, are you allowed to bring your own hot pot? we have electric kettles here that you can put food in to heat up. useful for heating soups, soymilk, pasta, etc and boils water in about a minute or so.

like this is the one I have - > http://www.amazon.com/Rival-4071WN-32-Ounce-Hot/dp/B00006IUXU/sr=1-21/qid=1153674408/ref=sr_1_21/102-0717756-3062547?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen