PDA

View Full Version : Almond Milk

Pages : [1] 2

busdedinde
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:46 AM
My sister and I are not too fond of the taste of soy milk, and are thinking of trying almond milk.

Rather than buying it, and risk not liking it, I figured I'd get a vegan opinion or two. :) Would anyone care to share what they think of it?

Steph
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:52 AM
I've only tried the chocolate almond milk bought from Trader Joe's, and it is quite the bomb, very terrific tasting.. I plan to sample more of the nut milks soon, as this whet my appetite for them! but do definately try the chocolate almond one, you will probably love it..

busdedinde
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:58 AM
There is just something about the taste of soy milk that turns me away.

Thanks alot! I've heard so much about Trader Joe's too, but I've yet to visit there. I am definitely going to have to now.

Seaside
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:00 AM
I love almond milk. Its all I drink when I want something other than water or juice. The unsweetened kind is wonderful in mashed potatoes, and leaves no aftertaste like some soymilks can. Though I do like soymilk too. :)

Roxy
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:13 AM
I tried the vanilla almond milk and I thought it tasted lovely. It was a little too rich for me to drink a glass of it, but it was very nice with cereal.

busdedinde
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:18 AM
That is one thing that I miss the most. A nice big bowl of cereal, soaked in nice cold milk. Thanks for the tip. :)

Roxy
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:21 AM
You're welcome :)

cedarblue
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:57 AM
i love almond milk and you can make it easily with a soya/nut/oat/hemp milk maker.

alternatively, i've heard you can make it at home by whizzing up soaked almonds and water in a blender and letting it steep for a bit? maybe too grainy to drink but might be good on cereal, in baking etc?

DancingWillow
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:54 PM
I eat cereal with almond milk pretty much every day for breakfast...I love it! Seaside is right: it doesn't leave aftertaste like some soymilks, although I don't mind the aftertaste (I limit my consumption of soy for health reasons). To me, almond milk seems more liquid (less dense) than soymilk. It does taste like almonds, but the flavor is not overwhelming. You can try it in smoothies, in coffee, on cereal, by itself, and in any recipe that you'd like ;) Go ahead and try it! :)

codebug
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:28 PM
I just recently tried almond milk and I liked it. I don't dislike soy, but soy adds its own flavor to whatever you put it in. My complaint with almond milk is that I so far have only found it in 32 ounce sizes for about $2.50. I can get 64 ounces of soy milk for the same price.

Blueshark
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:24 PM
The unsweetened kind is wonderful in mashed potatoes, and leaves no aftertaste like some soymilks can. Thanks for the tip :)

Tigerlily
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:04 PM
TRY IT. :) If you don't like the taste of it in your cereal or whatever, you can always hide it in your foods (like bake with it).

veggiegirl3
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:00 AM
To me, almond milk seems more liquid (less dense) than soymilk. It does taste like almonds, but the flavor is not overwhelming. You can try it in smoothies, in coffee, on cereal, by itself, and in any recipe that you'd like ;) Go ahead and try it! :)

I just finished a carton of unsweetened almond milk (vanilla) yesterday. I think it's perfect for smoothies, baking, hot carob/chocolate, ect, but a little too watery for my taste. Maybe the sweetened kind is thicker. I recently tried rice milk for the first time and was in love! It's creamy and nice! I highly recommend it.

DancingWillow
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:14 AM
Imo, the sweetened kind of almond milk is not thicker than the regular kind. But thanks for reminding me about rice milk! I tried it a while ago and really liked it, but then went back to buying almond milk out of habit. I think I'll buy rice milk again tomorrow or Friday when I go shopping:)

codebug
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
I like almond milk but don't drink it. It is twice the proice of soy milk in the equivalent size. Blue Diamond doesn't offer any discount from ordering it in bulk directly from them. Almond milk would be my choice if it were better priced.

rantipole
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:49 PM
You can also try rice milk and oat milk. I use vanilla rice milk in cereal and like it a lot. Sometimes I splurge and buy almond milk. It's really good, too.

Vanilla almond milk is fantastic in chai!

Cheers,
rant

Wildflower
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I really like Chocolate and vanilla almond milk, especially chocolate - it is the only way to go, IMO. premade chocolate soymilk tastes like mushrooms.

I bought unsweetened chocolate once though and it was extrememly vile! I just could not drink it, it tasted like salt water. One of the worst things I have ever tasted.

the thing that bugs me most about almond milk, is that there is hardly any protein and they don't fortefy it with calcium and b12. it does have lots of vitamin E though.

DancingWillow
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:30 PM
the thing that bugs me most about almond milk, is that there is hardly any protein and they don't fortefy it with calcium and b12. it does have lots of vitamin E though.

Yeah, that bugs me a lot too!

indianvegan
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:05 AM
I use mixture of mixture of Almond Milk+Coconut milk together with various chopped fruits,raisins,figs or use it for smoothie.

Blend all together and strain:-

Thandai-

Almond Milk+Black pepper+Milk of Poppy Seeds+Orange Juice+Rose Water drops+dehusked seeds of water melon+green fennel seeds

Manish Jain

DancingWillow
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Manish, those combinations sound very interesting! I want to try them! I've saved the recipe, so I can try it when I have all the ingredients.

indianvegan
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Yes it is must try.

Please soak Poppy seeds overnight in a bowl to get good and easy milk of it.

It would be better, if you prepare almond milk and poppy milk separately so that to avoid any wastage.

DancingWillow
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the tips. How exactly do you get the milk from poppy seeds?

Also, can you please post approximately how much of each ingredient you put (e.g. Half cup, one tablespoon, etc)

boombalada
Aug 8th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I find soy milk completely horrible. I must have tried at least 20 different brands, sugar/no sugar, malt/no malt, vanilla, choc, berry - I just can't stomach the beany taste. And soy products always gives me a tummy ache.
Rice milk and oat milk are great though, naturally sweet but not sugary. I heat rice milk with a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg which is oh-so yum.

insubordination
Aug 9th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I'm not a fan of soy milk either. I've always disliked it. I gave up on milk and just have porridge cooked in water. Then, recently, I disovered hazelnut milk (on the recommendation of someone on this site). It's a bit pricey but you can buy it in powdered form and it would work out a lot cheaper. I prefer the liquid kind. It's so nice to have cold cereal again and it's nice in coffee too. I will have to try oat milk. I bet it's cheaper. The brand I buy is called EcoMil. It's organic and is from Germany I think. www.nutriops.com (http://www.nutriops.com)

indianvegan
Aug 9th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the tips. How exactly do you get the milk from poppy seeds?

Also, can you please post approximately how much of each ingredient you put (e.g. Half cup, one tablespoon, etc)

Well, Poppy seeds milk can be made by repeated grinding-straining of over night soaked poppy seeds.

Well 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/4 cup poppy seeds milk/coconut milk, 1/4 cup orange juice, rest you can use according to self judgement. I am not much in cooking.

Manish