PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Healthy
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Skye Vodka is vegan AND raw.

Absolute Vodka is vegan too. They had all flavors the Farm Sanctuary Halloween party last October.

Mahk
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I'm not really sure how any company can claim a distilled liquor, such as vodka, can be "raw". All distillation uses at least one stage of boiling a liquid, turning it to steam and then re-condensing it elsewhere to form the final product. Although potato was once common as the base material, most vodka now uses grains.

Healthy
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Mahk, I'm going by raw chef Juliano who said vodka sky is raw.

Here's a link to an interview where he says he uses raw vodka: http://www.rawguru.com/html/julianointerview.html

As a professional writer, though, I must say that is a crappy interview. I would have told him to elaborate on that answer.

I looked up more interviews and it was more of the same, no elaboration. Perhaps they were email interviews, which are pretty tacky.

escarmalanes
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I was informed yesterday by a barman that Koppaberg is not vegan. I'm still waiting to receive a reply from the distributors myself, but he works in a veggie/vegan cafe, so I'm inclined to take his word for it.
According to veggiewines it is vegan

http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/popularbeers.htm#cider

ellaminnowpea
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:47 AM
Bells, Troegs, Otto’s, Legacy, East End, Victory, Stone, Voodoo, Lancaster, Middle Ages, Jolly Pumpkin, Sly Fox

Anchor, Stone, Sierra, Redhook, Rogue, Bear Republic, Great Divide, Lost Coast, Breckenridge, North Coast

So, does anyone know if these are vegan? I'm going to a beer festival the first weekend of March and would love to participate in the beer tastings!

Marrers
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:35 AM
http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/popularbeers.htm#cider
Interesting to note that this list has been revised earlier this month (I seem to recall it was quite out of date for a while).

ellaminnowpea
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:48 AM
So I did some researching and I found this site (http://www.veganconnection.com/veganbeer.htm). The following bolded ones are vegan. The other ones are not on the list.

Bells, Troegs, Otto’s, Legacy, East End, Victory, Stone, Voodoo, Lancaster, Middle Ages, Jolly Pumpkin, Sly Fox

Anchor, Stone, Sierra, Redhook, Rogue, Bear Republic, Great Divide, Lost Coast, Breckenridge, North Coast

Risker
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:51 AM
Sure it's been mentioned before but this site is quite good, sure it needs updating though - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint.bevan/Vegetarian_beers.html

Marrers
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:55 AM
Ah, maybe that was the out of date site I was thinking of.

alisont
Mar 11th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I will be travelling by train to Scotland next month, my dads has saved some vouchers from a paper so i have in fact got a 1st class return for £35:) now i have never had any luck getting vegan food on Virgin trains:rolleyes: (apart from a linda mac sos sarnie once!) but they do offer complimentary drinks fairly often on the journey.

The alcohol options are heineken beer, gaymers cider and hardys wine (i cant see the wine being vegan) but are heineken or gaymers vegan?

If not i shall stick to water/juice!

Risker
Mar 11th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Heineken is, not sure about gaymers, I think it's not.

escarmalanes
Mar 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Which Hardys wine is it?

sandra
Mar 11th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I know Hardy's Nottage Hill Chardonnay is vegan! :)

ellaminnowpea
Mar 12th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Heineken is vegan, I'd go for that!!

Marrers
Mar 12th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Definitely look up the Hardys as a lot of it is okay.

Mahk
Mar 12th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Heineken is vegan, I'd go for that!!

That is good news! That means a long slow comfortable screw against the wall with a Heinie chaser would be vegan too.

Translation: A screwdriver (OJ + vodka) made in a tall (long) glass with additional sloe gin, Southern Comfort, and in the style of a Harvey Wallbanger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Wallbanger_(cocktail)) (a splash of Galliano) with a side drink (called a chaser) of Heineken. ;)

ellaminnowpea
Mar 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM
oooh I love screwdrivers, but I've been told I make them too strong and then black out... but Heinekens are great for avoiding that :)

Cumin
Mar 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
So I did some researching and I found this site (http://www.veganconnection.com/veganbeer.htm). ......

Personally, I am extremely sceptical about the reliability of that site. Particularly as it lists Greene King as vegan. I asked them myself some years ago and was given the following reply (in the UK):
"Unfortunately for you, Greene King along with the rest of the Brewing Industry are reliant on the use of isinglass finings to help to clarify beers...."
Greene King is also listed as not vegan on Geraints site - so which do you trust? Geraints is several years out of date, but if it was not vegan then, it's unlikely to have changed.

The vegan connection site also lists "Carlsberg Tetley" and "Whitbread". Both of these are huge brewers with a lot of beer varieties including Bitters which are almost certainly not vegan. It's possible that the difference comes from them being brewed in the USA - but it isn't clear.

In general I would say that relying on out-of-date lists on websites is a bit like Russian Roulette. You can never be sure what you are going to get.

alisont
Mar 12th, 2008, 08:48 PM
The Hardys wine choice is Hardys Riddle Shiraz - cabernet sauvignon or chardonnay semillon.

Must see if they list it on their website if they have one?

I normally ignore the over priced drinks on trains but as its included in my ticket price id prob have a couple of drinks as its a 4 hr 20 journey:eek:

Noticed they offer a vegetarian toasted sarnie on the outward journey which use to be Linda Mac, but i shall take my own food supplies.

ellaminnowpea
Mar 12th, 2008, 11:58 PM
well, I've found several sites with beers listed. I usually cross reference, if its on multiple sites, I'll go for it if its around.

Frosty
Mar 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM
A while back there was some confusion as to the veganness of Koppaberg Cider. After several emails, and lack of responses from myself and other members from the forum, I have come across this on the interweb...

Hi!

According to our consultant product developer our cider is suitable for vegetarians/vegans.

Best Regards

Fredrik Bjornehall
Customer Relations
konsumentkontakt@kopparbergs.se

Risker
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Mmmmm... Beer...

From: "Carlsberg Feedback" <Carlsberg.Feedback@carlsberg.co.uk>
To: ********************
Cc:
Subject: RE: Carlsberg.co.uk - Contact Us
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:24:24 +0100

Dear *****

Thank you for your email which we received via the Carlsberg website.

We can confirm that the following Carlsberg UK products are suitable for
vegans:

Carlsberg
Carlsberg Export
Carlsberg Elephant Beer
Carlsberg Edge
Carlsberg Special Brew
Holsten Pils
Holsten Export
Holsten Tuborg
Skol
Skol Special
Skol Super

Kind regards

The Lagers Team

Pickled Jhon
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hey guys, i was wondering about Kopparberg also... this site ( which has been updated 2 months ago) seems to think it is!

http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/index.htm

cheers! x

RossClement
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I'm going to try this recipe, it sounds great.

I'm also thinking of trying to "brew" some ginger beer too, but the above recipe sounds much more convenient and, presumably, "ginger ale" like.

beanstew
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I tried brewing some ginger beer once with yeast and everything. When I got to the step about leaving it somewhere warm like an airing cupboard I realised I don't have such a place so I left it in a sink full of warm water. After a few hours the bottle looked like it was going to burst (I had used a 3l pop bottle) so I very gingerly (ha!) removed it and left it on the draining board for a while. It actually tasted pretty good but was a bit gassy. I'll see if I can find the recipe.