PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ALderado
Dec 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Cheer's Bradder's!! Yea, that's what I'm hearing about Stella!! Not that I'm gonna rush out and start drinking it again, well, maybe in some time to come?!?!?!
Gotta go!! AL!!

snaffler
Dec 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Stella is not vegan, information supplied to the is it vegan website by Interbrew
"Isinglass is used in the brewing process"

Another commercial brand, Kronenberg also uses Isinglass, if you are a fan of lager stick to german brands, Becks (all brands), Carlsberg, Holstein, Heineken, Hoegarrden etc are a safe move.

Hope that helps

Risker
Dec 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
^ How old is the information on that website though firejuggler? We've had recent communication with InBev who are now saying that it IS vegan and that isinglass is no longer used.

sandra
Dec 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
Oh dear, I hope the 'is it vegan' website information is out of date as my husband has just bought 3 boxes of Stella! :undecided::eek:

Risker
Dec 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Unless they lied to both me and Franks contact it should be fine, you could always drop them another email though, it can't hurt to let them know they have a market for vegan beers.

Frosty
Dec 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
I think that'd be a rather good idea Risker. I have accepted that Stella is vegan now; but if they receive more contact from people enquiring about this, it clearly shows the people there that there is a market for vegan beer.

ALderado
Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hi folk's!
It seem's that Stella being Vegan again is still up for question??!!:eek:
Firejuggler, you're RIGHT about those lager's you've mentioned, and yea, sticking to German beer is a good move indeed!! If they can do it without using any animal rubbish in the brew and have a beer as popular as Becks,.....well then, why can't the other's??
Sandra, the "isitvegan" website doesn't appear to have been updated for age's and age's?!?! I did e-mail them nearly a year ago and they said they would be updating it when they get the time, but unfortunately it doesn't appear so,....shame that!!:surprised_ani:
Anyone ever tried San Miguel's 1516?? It's called that after the German purity brewing law of 1516!!!! So that's defo Vegan!!!!:thumbsup:

Cheer's guy's!! AL!!

SoggySoyNuts
Dec 22nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Alaskan Brewery hass some great brews. Their Amber is pretty good. Their Oatmeal Stout is solid.

vercimus
Dec 22nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
I don't know if this was posted already since I didn't search through all ten pages of posts, but www.barnivore.com (http://www.barnivore.com) is a good site if you want to know which drinks are vegan and which aren't.

bradders
Dec 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
I don't know if this was posted already since I didn't search through all ten pages of posts, but www.barnivore.com (http://www.barnivore.com) is a good site if you want to know which drinks are vegan and which aren't.

http://www.barnivore.com/beer/InBev :

Products
Brahma Vegan Friendly Hoegaarden Vegan Friendly Jupiler Vegan Friendly Stella Artois Vegan Friendly We've had some conflicting reports on this one, with the "nays" tending to come from other booze lists online as opposed to from direct company contact. It's possible that the process differs by region for this one (the UK version of Stella may be different than the US, for example), but we're waiting on confirmation.
Jessica got this from a North American rep, where Stella is distributed by Labatt:
We appreciate you taking the time to contact us. You will be pleased to
hear that we do not use any animal products in our beer or the production of it. Thank you for your interest.
Nykle got the following information about Hoegaarden:
The beer itself is vegan, it does not contain isinglass or gelatine. The labels are attached to the bottle with the following 'glue':
Eticol 700 and Eticol 419 : "casein-glues" = based on dairy-protein (= casein) and starch.

I note here that bottle labels may be an issue that we hadn't even thought of.

bradders
Dec 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
thanks vercimus

vercimus
Dec 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Ok cool. Yeah label glue is something I had never even thought about. I guess we could just all make our own beer... lol

bradders
Dec 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
we could indeed, then again I hate the smell of breweries and don't fancy the problem of bottles exploding in my kitchen very much lol, just not gonna drink out of bottles with adhered labels to I get confirmation on glue.

Frank
Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
^ How old is the information on that website though firejuggler? We've had recent communication with InBev who are now saying that it IS vegan and that isinglass is no longer used.

The Vegan Society have that updated information from Stella so i'm still comfortable.

There are many outdated sites out there.

Frank
Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
[B][COLOR=#0000ff]Anyone ever tried San Miguel's 1516?? It's called that after the German purity brewing law of 1516!!!! So that's defo Vegan!!!!:thumbsup:

No - that's not a rule any longer.

Just because something utilises German purity law - does not mean its vegan.

Someone is looking into that - can't remember who off the forum or what organisation.

emzy1985
Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Maaan I love Hoeegarden! Don't make me think about fucking glue...how far can you go?

bradders
Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:19 PM
just get the cans instead

emzy1985
Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
They do cans?

bradders
Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
I think I've seen cans in the offie

Buddha Belly
Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
OMG! just tried my first bottle of my cider and it is shit hot. Had half a pint and feel a little woozy.....Hee hee. Will be making some more this week!!!

Mahk
Dec 23rd, 2008, 02:40 AM
Maaan I love Hoeegarden! Don't make me think about fucking glue...how far can you go?

The person who got this "we use casein based glue/ brand X, model b for the labels") response in that other forum is being "played" [made a fool], IMO. The beverage product itself is vegan but the vegan-antagonist (vegan hater) who responded to the email has decided to mess with us vegans on purpose, perhaps due to the annoyance of repeated vegan status requests, I suspect. He happens to know that some glues are casein based so he did an internet search to find the name of one in particular to then spit back at us to be mean. He doesn't know the ingredients of the actual glue they happen to use, it's not like full ingredient disclosure for glues is on their labels (not here in the US at least, UK people, please go check your containers and report back) any more than we would know. That's my read.

Or what about the rubber seal underneath the metal crown top of the bottles? That actually touches the liquid product! How do we know that rubber, like most rubber and latex compounds, hasn't been produced with the use of stearic acid, casein, etc,? Most/many are after all.

Worried about glue? Name a product that isn't distributed/shipped from one location to another in larger cardboard boxes sealed shut with an unknown glue, even raw organic produce/fruit for that matter:
http://www.cabbage.net/FarmPics/imgPage2/BroccoliBox.jpg

This is taking things too far if you ask me. No need to think about glue, Emzy/Bradders; it's out of our control.

Roxy
Dec 23rd, 2008, 04:15 AM
I haven't had a Stella in years. I wonder if it's vegan in North America too?

SoggySoyNuts
Dec 23rd, 2008, 06:29 AM
Flying Dog Gonzo Porter is awesome.

Lagunitas IPA and most of their beers are Vegan friendly. Just don't drink their Barley wine. Can smell the hops in their IPA. I love the green smell.

bradders
Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
wasn't there an issue with the crown caps on grolsch, the seal not being vegan or something on them.
I will worry about it so far as I have control over it and where I don't I will be writing to the companies involved

sandra
Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
This is taking things too far if you ask me. No need to think about glue, Emzy/Bradders; it's out of our control.

I agree Mahk. I think we would be back to the 'having to sit in an empty room until we die' scenario if we are going to start worrying about things that are out of our control! :)