PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

snaffler
Dec 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Anyone know if Merrydown is vegan? :undecided:

You will be pleased to know the entire range is vegan

From the web page FAQ
Are your ciders suitable for vegetarians or vegans?
Yes, all Merrydown ciders are suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

Link
http://www.merrydown.co.uk/about/faq.shtml

snaffler
Dec 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
i asked for more info about Westons' labelling change and got the following reply (helpfully titled 'Enquiry About Suitability of Cider for Vagans'!):

The problem that we have recently experienced is that The Major Multiples have prevented the entering of ciders suitable for Vegans on their websites and, as we use a common database, from which we share our product specifications with the Multiples this has meant that we have had to drop the claim from our specifications. A full declaration of all the ingredients we use is made on this database, including, where appropriate, the use of lactic and malic acid. For consistency Westons made the decision to eliminate the declaration “suitable for vegans”. However, we have received numerous comments from vegans and as such we are looking to reinstate the claim on our own labels.

Earlier in the week I confirmed with our Master Cidermaker that our products are suitable for vegans in particular that we have written confirmation from our suppliers of malic and lactic acid to this effect.

The power of the Multiple Supermarkets is very strong and on this occasion has causes considerable disruption. We are very grateful that you contacted us with regards to this matter.

Westons are still cool I phoned them as well, they are a company that care about the customer, they are like most small companies they are being forced by capitalist multinationals to play by there rules.

Westons need to expand there range into bigger outlets to survive. I know a person who worked for them once they have no animal stuff ever going in the cider at any stage. :)

ALderado
Dec 23rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Cheer's Frank, so the purity law isn't the be and end all??!!:dizzy:
I didn't know they did Hoegarrden in can's??
The Westons Cider company isn't that far from Cheltenham, and I keep meaning to go and visit their visitor centre, where you can sample their produce, which could end up being a "squiffy" day, huh??!!!!:p
AL!!

snaffler
Dec 24th, 2008, 09:12 AM
^ How old is the information on that website though firejuggler? We've had recent communication with InBev who are now saying that it IS vegan and that isinglass is no longer used.

I am not sure now I hear it has not been updated in a few months so you could be spot on ! :D cheers for update

Jase

snaffler
Dec 24th, 2008, 09:13 AM
No.

I cannot show that without asking the permission from the recipient.

Trust me. Its 100%.

If Stella are lying - I will sue them for fish contamination :thumbsup:

LOL Frank phone them and call them Fishists, I am sure they are being un-PC ;) where theres a blame theres a claim hehe

snaffler
Dec 24th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Meantime brewery do some bottles that are labelled vegan. Bought 3 bottles of London Stout for £4 in Sainsbury.

I need to email them and find out if any of the non-labelled stuff is vegan. Really fancy the Christmassy one.

Anyone heard of them? The Stout is ace, btw, very tasty.

WOW cheers pob, I must go in and see whats about, I recently ordered a box of Entire Stout (http://www.hopback.co.uk/real-ale-online/index.php?cPath=6) from the hopback brewery from some ebay proceeds, we cracked one or two last night, nice stuff.

Must keep it quite though, a Somerset boy falling off the cider wagon and trying Beers and Ales could lead to me being the next wicker man, specially if the locals get wind of it :D

Corum
Dec 28th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Did I mention Batemans...?

If I did, I can't get over the fact that Batemans brewery label their bottled beers as suitable for Vegans!!! :D :D :D And very nice they are too! (especially XXXB)

scoultas
Dec 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Did I mention Batemans...?

If I did, I can't get over the fact that Batemans brewery label their bottled beers as suitable for Vegans!!! :D :D :D And very nice they are too! (especially XXXB)

And 4 for £5 in Morrisons too! (although my Morrison's doesn't stock XXXB, they do sell Victory, Dark Lord and Combined Harvest)

bryzee86
Dec 28th, 2008, 10:59 PM
there are issues with fining barrels as some remain active in barrel and would get cloudy etc (seaweed provides a good alternative to this though). Which is why the cask ale from Sam Smiths isn't vegan either.

What.

bradders
Dec 29th, 2008, 12:13 AM
same smiths cask ale isn't vegan (glasshouse stores don't sell cask conditioned only keg), casks are often fined in order to bring particles down as a sediment which is why when you get to the end of the barrel you get horrible nasty dregs

bryzee86
Dec 29th, 2008, 12:29 AM
same smiths cask ale isn't vegan (glasshouse stores don't sell cask conditioned only keg),

thnk christ

casks are often fined in order to bring particles down as a sediment which is why when you get to the end of the barrel you get horrible nasty dregs

I know that much.

bradders
Dec 29th, 2008, 12:32 AM
it's on their website about the cask being the only one that's not vegan

bryzee86
Dec 29th, 2008, 12:33 AM
sam smiths have a website?!

bradders
Dec 29th, 2008, 12:40 AM
sorry I didn't mean their website, however http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Smith_Brewery does show this and I have seen this in quite a few places too

treaclemine
Dec 29th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Hiya! I can't see anywhere that anyone might have mentioned Fullers beer's?? Anyway, all their bottled stuff in Vegan friendly and keg stuff too, but not draught ...

Except for the Fullers Honeydew beer, which contains honey.

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 20th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Although this is non-alcoholic, I cheat and use Belvoir fruits organic ginger cordial with sparkling spring water. A bottle will last me about 2 days, as I love the fiery taste of ginger. :)

Buddha Belly
Jan 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I tried brewing some ginger beer once with yeast and everything. When I got to the step about leaving it somewhere warm like an airing cupboard I realised I don't have such a place so I left it in a sink full of warm water. After a few hours the bottle looked like it was going to burst (I had used a 3l pop bottle) so I very gingerly (ha!) removed it and left it on the draining board for a while. It actually tasted pretty good but was a bit gassy. I'll see if I can find the recipe.

did you ever find the recipe????

Crafterga
Feb 2nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
I emailed Inbev about Stella after seeing this thread, as I'd gone without it for so many years! Here's their reply...

Thank you for your e-mail to the consumer helpline.

Stella Artois is suitable for vegetarian/Vegans in the UK, and as far as I as I am aware also in France.

Once again, thank you for contacting InBev UK.
Regards
Barbara
Consumer Helpline Advisor
InBev UK Ltd
0870 24 111 24

Makes life so much easier in mainstream pubs!!!

ALderado
Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Many many thanx for this post Crafterga!! Well done, have a house point!!:):thumbsup::D;)
But here'a question about if some cider's are Vegan??
Magners??
Strongbow?? (POOR excuse for a cider!!)

Anybody the wiser??

Enchantress
Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Neither Magners nor Srongbow is vegan, Weston's cider is though.

ALderado
Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Yea, that's what I thought Enchantress (enchanting name!!;)), and you're right about Weston's, BOY! do they do some gooooooood SH*T!!!!
Cheer's!!

sandra
Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Is it just me or does the box of Weston's cider taste differently to the bottles? :)

Buddha Belly
Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
Is it just me or does the box of Weston's cider taste differently to the bottles? :)

Where did you get the box from?

sandra
Feb 4th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Tescos sell them.
I found that the cider from the box seems to be flat and tasteless, not like the bottles at all.
Maybe I was just unlucky and got a bad box?:confused: :(

bryzee86
Feb 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Tescos sell them.
I found that the cider from the box seems to be flat and tasteless, not like the bottles at all.
Maybe I was just unlucky and got a bad box?:confused: :(

its supposed to be flat...

says "still" on the carton.