PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

sandra
Feb 4th, 2009, 09:02 AM
So, it's different from the bottle stuff then? :confused:
They don't make that very clear...............the label looks just like the bottle variety!

I didn't notice the 'still' bit............I like the bottle stuff better as it's a little fizzy! :)

ALderado
Feb 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmm,........Westons Ciderrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!:D
Crafterga, did Inbev say whether Stella in ALL it's form's, can, bottle & keg, were suitable for Vegan's?? Also, if it's suitable here and France, why not Belgium where it's from originally??!!!??!!

finnjax
Feb 7th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Meantime Brewery say all of their brews are suitable of vegans and 'No animal products are used in the manufacture of Meantime beers'

Just thought that it was odd that only the Sainsburys own label ones they make and the Meantime London Stout state it on the label, that I've seen.

Still, they do make nice beers, which are hopefully like they say, vegan.

For any Westons cider fans the boxes of still cider are on offer in Waitrose at the moment, I think the 5% first press one is end of line and selling for £4 odd and the Vintage 7% is £5 odd(that's about £2 cheaper than normal!!!) Stock up for summer. :D

Risker
Feb 17th, 2009, 03:50 PM
> Hello. Thank you for your enquiry.
>
> Grolsch is suitable for vegans. Coors Light is suitable from an
> ingredients point of view but it is susceptable to cross contamination.

So I asked them to clarify.

No Isinglass is not used,in fact no animal products or derivatives of are used. However with Coors Light the containers may have been used for a product which did contain Isinglass, hence the possibility of cross contamination

Marrers
Feb 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Nice thorough answer. :)

Mahk
Feb 17th, 2009, 11:38 PM
So containers that have been recycled may have been from animal products in a previous life. Recycled paper possibly was once McDonald's hamburger wrapper, glass was a bottle of non-vegan beer, and aluminum a can of non-vegan beer.

I quit.

(just kidding)

bryzee86
Feb 18th, 2009, 12:54 AM
So containers that have been recycled may have been from animal products in a previous life. Recycled paper possibly was once McDonald's hamburger wrapper, glass was a bottle of non-vegan beer, and aluminum a can of non-vegan beer.

I quit.

(just kidding)

You make me leave this forum for long periods of time, and make me regret ever coming back.

Mahk
Feb 18th, 2009, 02:13 AM
You make me leave this forum for long periods of time, and make me regret ever coming back.

Please elaborate, I'm unclear what you mean, exactly. I'm at a loss; did my (bad) joke offend you?:confused: Sorry, it was not my intent.

Marrers
Feb 18th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I know it was a 'joke' Mahk but I think you are stretching the point with glass (which is no harder to clean than a plate) and paper which has been re-pulped.

The point about cross contamination is that some residue of the previous contents may remain in the casks. Especially if they are a porous material. Clearly the manufacturers think this is worth mentioning so there must be a reasonable possibility of it.
*knows nothing about how beer is made*

Mahk
Feb 20th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Marrers, I had a completely different interpretation to what their email meant (but think you may be right in retrospect). "Beer container" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_open_container_laws) has a different meaning in American English. It is the bottle or can you buy at the store. Here is how I interpreted the reply as indicated by my embellishment:

"Hello. Thank you for your enquiry.

Grolsch is suitable for vegans. Coors Light is suitable from an
ingredients point of view but it is susceptable to cross contamination.

No Isinglass is not used, in fact no animal products or derivatives are used in either the production of Grolsch or Coors Light. However, only Grlosch is bottled and canned [UK: "tinned" ? :confused:] using virgin glass and virgin aluminum, whereas the Coors Light containers, both bottles and cans, utilize RECYCLED aluminum cans and recycled glass bottle material which may have been used for a product which once did use isinglass, for example."

Sorry for my confusion, but even so, I fail to see how anyone could have taken it offensively. I clearly labeled my post as a joke, only. Is recycling glass, paper, and aluminum and/or cross contamination considered taboo topics of discussion for some reason? :confused:

The point of my attempted [bad] joke (which is especially unfunny when it has to be explained) was making fun of the fact that this wacky beer company guy seems to think we should/are be concerned with what the glass or aluminum containers (both bottles and cans) held in their previous life. Clearly a case of "not practical or possible" under our founding definition, IMO. I was commenting that if this were actually true, I might as well "quit" being a vegan; it is just too difficult. Ok, maybe not a good joke, but how is it "offensive"?:confused:

bradders
Feb 20th, 2009, 12:59 AM
A lot of bottles are also reused here as well rather than recycled in the normal fashion. I say a lot there are actually few products where this is still done currently. A shame since the empty crates (solid plastic and reusable containing the empty bottles) can go on the same vans back to the brewery that brought the full ones saving on glass production, recycling costs, waste collection.....

lturner
Mar 19th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone. Back to Weston's, I've had this reply from them after I asked about the source of their lactic acid. So it's definitely vegan :)

You can get lactic acid made from milk but we do not use it.

You can also get lactic acid made by fermentation of Wheat.

Malic acid is the normal organic acid associated with apples.

Glad you can still enjoy our ciders.

Jonathan Blair

Mahk
Mar 19th, 2009, 08:45 PM
You can get lactic acid made from milk but we do not use it.

The exact same statement could be said of water. Here's how you could do it. Boil milk over a stove and place a cooling plate above the rising steam at an angle so that the condensing water droplets trickle down off the plate and are collected in a side container. Bingo! You have manufactured water from milk. [This is called distillation, BTW] But does this mean anyone in their right mind would use this as their means of water production? No.

Yes, the "lact" in "lactic acid" means milk but that's only because the scientists who first discovered lactic acid found it in milk so they named it after milk. Lactic acid is found in many, many other places, however. When your muscles are sore from over use it is because of lactic acid, for example. When sugary food particles that cling to your teeth are then subsequently eaten by mouth bacteria they produce lactic acid and in fact this acid eating away at your teeth's enamel is what causes cavities (dental carries).

Today, bacteria eating common starches, sugars, molasses etc. can safely be assumed to be the source of food grade lactic acid in all ingredients lists, as far as I'm concerned, with the possible exception of dairy products like sour cream, cheeses etc. which we don't eat anyways.

When food/beverage companies are asked, "Where do you get your lactic acid from?" the ones which reply, "Um, milk, I guess." are simply ill informed.

www.lactic-acid.com (http://www.lactic-acid.com/index.html)

bradders
Mar 19th, 2009, 10:23 PM
about five-ten years ago in Irish 'intervention' milk was put to all sorts of purposes as it couldn't be consumed in it's normal state. This did include rather stupid uses such as lactic acid production, bulking things from paint to plastic and anything else they could think of really. Similar things have happened with other European surplus products over the years too. This is what happens when governments start imposing minimum prices and guaranteeing prices to producers. The government is left out of pocket and there is often a literal mountain of waste food that they can't even give away as food for six months.

Risker
Mar 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM
From Inbev;

Thank you for your email regarding brands suitable for vegetarians.

The brands we produce that are suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans are,
Hoegaarden, Brahma, and Beck's, Stella Artois, Staropramen.

Marrers
Mar 30th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I've just come across a website alleging poor workers conditions and hygiene standards at Sam Smiths pubs (http://samsmiths.info/news/). :eek:

bradders
Mar 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I honestly don't know of a brewery that doesn't do this sort of thing. Most chain pubs are pretty awful, private freeholds seem to be the worst of them. I've worked for a lot of different ones and I haven't found a single one that actually pays for the full clean up time if they pay for it at all. Many don't pay for the 20 minute breaks, if the staff get them at all. (30 minutes on a short shift unpaid is required or 20 mins paid).
Tips are often banned or counted towards pay to meet minimum wage requirements and companies frequently steal from staff by saying that their tills are down without allowing staff to jointly tally tills with management.
As for hygiene the Sam Smith's pubs I've been to seem better than most pubs I've worked in. Seriously ice is something to avoid at all costs as buckets used to carry this from the cellar are often used for other purposes and the scoops are never cleaned.
Cellars are generally filthy, I mean really dirty and rodents are normal in them. Drinking out of a bottle is a bad idea if you don't at least wipe it first.
Dishwashers tend to get quite a build up of general gunk in them that doesn't get cleaned properly because people rarely clean them they get to the point where you can never get it clean properly.
Whitbread have been known for treating resident managers badly in the past in many cases this meant that if a spouse died the partner would lose their job and their home.

Risker
Mar 30th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Seriously ice is something to avoid at all costs as buckets used to carry this from the cellar are often used for other purposes and the scoops are never cleaned.

Definately, I've read news reports before advising to avoid pub ice. I used to work in a pub where they had 2 buckets, 1 for carrying ice and 1 for other uses such as putting under leaking urinals, let's just say they weren't marked.

bradders
Mar 30th, 2009, 05:36 PM
yeh a while ago they did e.coli tests on pub ice and essentially said unless you're having an alcoholic drink, don't even think about having ice.

It's just one of those things that there aren't many pubs around that are good on every point and at least the Sam Smith's ones are reasonably cheap and not too noisy.

alisont
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I have thought about pub/cafe ice before after all the warnings not to have ice abroad Ive seen staff use their hands to put ice in a glass if the scoop was not there!

I do like ice in a soft drink but think Il stop having it now!

Our council do the 'scores on the doors' food hygiene tests - many round here get 2 out of 5 stars or less. I have not yet been ill from eating out/take a way meals but know several people (non vegans) that have.

bradders
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM
there is no such thing as 100% food hygiene but there are so called safe and preferred levels. So whilst they wouldn't shut down a place that's not fantastic it's not pleasant to think about but would still be unlikely to make you ill, they more than likely were unwell from kebab meat which often poses a particular problem. Also if they've been drinking people blame everything else but drink.

beanstew
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I've just picked up some of Co-op's own cider. It's bottled and the bottle is labeled 'Tillington Hills Premium Cider'. It's also has 'suitable for Vegans' on the back label.

It's quite nice, fairly sharp and not too fizzy. 6% alcohol by volume.

I had better have some Scumpy Jack as well so I can do a proper comparison. :D

Eat Y'self Fitter
Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:44 AM
anyone use Barnivore.com its a great resource that collects emails from tons of companys regarding whether there booze is vegan. I believe there was a question about Stella Artois in here way earlier and I was wondering myself. http://www.barnivore.com/beer/InBev?keyword=inbev

Mahk
Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:51 AM
^From that link above:

"The labels are attached to the bottle with the following 'glue':
Eticol 700 and Eticol 419 : "casein-glues" = based on dairy-protein (= casein) and starch."

And what about the glue that seals the cardboard box the beer is transported in? Is that also not vegan because it contains casein, a milk protein? And what about the single drop of glue that holds the silicon/rubber gasket in place underneath the metal cap on the bottles?

If one over thinks things nothing is vegan.

Eat Y'self Fitter
Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:54 AM
yea... once again its weird how hard it is to be removed 100% from using animals. I do think its nice enough that companies are willing to provide such insightful knowledge.

But gross fact fosters uses something from the austrialian beef industry rather then fish collagen.