PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Buddha Belly
Jun 4th, 2009, 07:49 PM
No trouble, I have a long list of shops that is on my favs for when I visit differant places. Thanks though.

Zero
Jun 4th, 2009, 08:03 PM
yuk, it's hardly cider it's alcoholic pop that has very little juice content and lots of added sugar. Vodka and appletiser would taste better. So at least this stops me from buying that rubbish.

It tastes good to me, most cider is made with about 6 cups of processed sugar per gallon, no one drinks cider for health reasons :p

Aspalls is good. Never had Dunkertons.

beanstew
Jun 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM
It tastes good to me, most cider is made with about 6 cups of processed sugar per gallon, no one drinks cider for health reasons :p

It's fruit. It's one of your 5 a day. :D

Aspalls is good. Never had Dunkertons.

Dunkertons gets the :thumbsup: from me.

Buddha Belly
Jun 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM
And sugar is from a veg so that is actually two.

beanstew
Jun 4th, 2009, 08:59 PM
And sugar is from a veg so that is actually two.

I like the cut of your jib BB.

bradders
Jun 5th, 2009, 09:50 AM
i didn't say we have cider for health reason's lol but seriously koppaberg & co are just awful, it just isn't cider. In many countries it's classed as an alcopop/ ready-mixed alcoholic beverage. You can't start off with carbonated mineral water, add some ethanol, sugar and a little fruitjuice and a heap of flavourings and call it cider.
That's like me going into my kitchen getting a bottle, filling it with sparkling water part way, tipping in sugar, vodka, a lttle apple juice and some cordial and saying that I make cider, no what I have done is to create an ungodly travesty of a beverage the like of which should never be on the supermarket shelf.

Stu
Jun 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Heh, the Frankenstein's monster of the beverage world, if you will.

Gorilla
Jun 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM
regardless of what you think Bradders, i like Kopparberg and have emailed them to ask them to consider using an alternative to gelatine in their filtering. no response so far though.

Buddha Belly
Jun 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM
That's like me going into my kitchen getting a bottle, filling it with sparkling water part way, tipping in sugar, vodka, a lttle apple juice and some cordial and saying that I make cider, no what I have done is to create an ungodly travesty of a beverage the like of which should never be on the supermarket shelf.

Sounds nice. Can you make some for your BBQ? Though add some rum for stronger flavours

bradders
Jun 5th, 2009, 05:18 PM
well there will be vodka, sugar, apple juice, cordial and probably some sparkling water, sadly though I drank the last of my indian rum some time ago.

which reminds me to start preparations, only 6 weeks to go

Buddha Belly
Jun 5th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I have a little of the spiced rum from the London vegan festival left. For now....

bradders
Jun 5th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I have two bottles of blonde beer left from the bristol one...for now
I actually do love rum and apple juice, smile on my face thinking about it now.
How about a tasty cloudy cider with rum :)

SnowyWhite
Jun 6th, 2009, 12:51 AM
regardless of what you think Bradders, i like Kopparberg and have emailed them to ask them to consider using an alternative to gelatine in their filtering. no response so far though.

I agree, I love it too. I'll join you in emailing, although I doubt it'll make much difference if you havent heard anything yet. :(

Gorilla
Jun 10th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Kopparberg never got back to me. :rolleyes: did you have any luck, SnowyWhite? (i'm not quite so upset about it as i was as i shouldn't really drink now i'm back on medication anyway).

Mr Flibble
Jun 10th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I've recently discovered a liking for puy lentils cooked in westons perry.

When they've cooked for long enough whack the heat up then add a bit of fresh alpro soya cream when most of it has boiled off.

Goes rather nicely with fried onion and tofu.

bradders
Jun 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM
sounds amazing

Frosty
Jun 10th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I've recently discovered a liking for puy lentils cooked in westons perry.

Personally I prefer to have them seperately.

Festered
Jun 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Can't find anything online, anybody know if Brother's Cider is vegan?

Enchantress
Jun 27th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I emailed them and they said it was.

Pickled Jhon
Jun 27th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Can't find anything online, anybody know if Brother's Cider is vegan?

I phoned AQA when i was drinking and they said it was! :)

bradders
Jun 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM

bradders
Jun 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
UPDATE: June 2009
"Foster’s Lager and Foster’s Special Bitter made in countries other than Australia do not use finings and are vegan friendly "
anyone heard this from anywhere else?

Festered
Jun 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I phoned AQA when i was drinking and they said it was! :)
Yay thankyou

I emailed them and they said it was.
Thankyou:)

Frank
Jun 27th, 2009, 09:10 PM
anyone heard this from anywhere else?

They did have finings before - so you would need to see conclusive proof that they have changed their brewing methods - and it would be interesting to know what they use instead.

Mahk
Jun 27th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Barnivore
UPDATE: June 2009
"Foster’s Lager and Foster’s Special Bitter made in countries other than Australia do not use finings and are vegan friendly "

That's actually quite disturbing news if you think about it. This means beer and cider companies quite clearly use different methods per country. Ergo, one can't simply go on line and compare what other vegans have discovered in forums, chat rooms, or listings like Barnivore; they have to go a step further and ascertain which country was contacted for the information, which is often not included with the original information.

"I just called them and they say it is vegan"

doesn't actually tell us the full story.

edit to add: Also we can't always assume the bottle we are holding was made in the same country we are standing in. Many beers are imported. Do they always clearly label from which country?