PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

bradders
Jun 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I sent them a request for the info (scottish & newcastle) and am waiting to hear back
my main suspician is that they still use isinglass or similar in the UK etc but in australia to avoid telling people what crap they use they changed to beef collagen and that people somewhere along the line have got the wrong end of the stick and said that everywhere else it's free from fi nings because it isn't on the label

Risker
Jun 27th, 2009, 09:30 PM
That's actually quite disturbing news if you think about it. This means beer and cider companies quite clearly use different methods per country. Ergo, one can't simply go on line and compare what other vegans have discovered in forums, chat rooms, or listings like Barnivore; they have to go a step further and ascertain which country was contacted for the information, which is often not included with the original information.

"I just called them and they say it is vegan"

doesn't actually tell us the full story.

edit to add: Also we can't always assume the bottle we are holding was made in the same country we are standing in. Many beers are imported. Do they always clearly label from which country?

That's always been the case hasn't it? I know that guiness in this country is not suitable for vegans but is in others.

All the cans you buy here are marked with both where it was brewed and where it was canned.

Frank
Jun 27th, 2009, 09:31 PM
they have to go a step further and ascertain which country was contacted for the information, which is often not included with the original information.

You sometimes need to know which brewery the beer was made in - within a country(!)

Take San Miguel. If brewed at its current location it is vegan.

Once the production goes to Scotland - it will be made with fish finings.

Mahk
Jun 27th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Yikes! Thanks guys.

Buddha Belly
Jun 28th, 2009, 12:07 AM
From what I always understood about Fosters here is they are vegan, except when a batch is not too great and they chuck fining's in. It is only occasional and they never say when they do, so I have always avoided as it is vegan Russian roulette

bradders
Jun 28th, 2009, 11:06 AM
that is part of their line on their products. They only use finings on stored beer products when the results require it. If only they would use alternatives such as a vegan Irish Moss (seaweed preperation).
It will be interesting to know what their response is on the issue.

Gorilla
Jun 29th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Take San Miguel. If brewed at its current location it is vegan.

Once the production goes to Scotland - it will be made with fish finings.

i hadn't heard that - thanks for the warning Frank.

i always thought Fosters is non-vegan, it's disgusting stuff anyway :p

bradders
Jun 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM
if it turns out that it is vegan in the UK it means that there are vertually no bars left where tehre is no vegan beer on draft, it's not the worst beer on the market in terms of taste so it would be useful.
I am still waiting for a response though

Daffodil
Jun 29th, 2009, 02:33 PM
It tastes good to me, most cider is made with about 6 cups of processed sugar per gallon, no one drinks cider for health reasons :p

Aspalls is good. Never had Dunkertons.

didn't know this about the sugar....I always drink scrumpy jack since going wheat-free (as opposed to lager).... i'll have to re-think my drinks again!??

Risker
Jun 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
6 cups?! bloody hell, if I added that amount of sugar to my home made cider you'd have to call an ambulance before you started drinking it.

Frosty
Jun 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM
no one drinks cider for health reasons :p

I beg to differ. I add mine to my five portions per day :thumbsup:

KayJay
Jul 6th, 2009, 09:25 PM
My local Morrisons are doing the 500ml bottles of Westons ciders (among others) - 4 bottles for a fiver. My personal favourites are Stowford Press Export & Old Rosie : )

bradders
Jul 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM
local waitrose (upminster) has it reduced to £1.19 a bottle! also Aspall's is in for £1.39 which is pretty cheap for truly good cider

*live*&*let*live
Jul 7th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Tiger beer is suitable for us guys and gals. Sorry not read the whole thread so if already posted - sorry! I did check via the search box but nothing came up :smile:

Eat Y'self Fitter
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I've always had a love for beverages, coffee and tea in particular. But since I've turned 21 and can purchase alcohol legally I've really developed a love for beer. Before I was of age it was whatever you could drink because it'd make you drunk.

Before I've viewed wine as a classier and complex beverage but since I've gotten into beer I've realized it can be be elegant and complex and a really diverse beverage. Its easily become an obsession after learning and tasting the different styles and traditions that is beer.

I know theres a decent amount of teetotalers and Xedgers on the forum who are against the negative mental, physical and soical effects of alcohol, but I've stopped looking at beer as a means to end, but rather a fine art that you need to respect. Intoxication is obviously the effects of alcohol in excess but that comes back into the respect of the beverage. I feel you really need to respect the creators of the beverage and their intentions it is their craft.

I can no longer drink hard alcohol or wine I am devote to beer. I really enjoy Belgian styles, Duvel, Chimay, Brewery Ommegang and Unibroue in particular. But also good American IPAS and English porters and stouts. Sierra Nevada is also a personal favorite of mine. Beer is a beautiful beverage and exploration.

Who else hear has a love of beer?

Buddha Belly
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hee hee. From earlier posts there is no doubting my love of ciders and beers. My favourite beers are bitters and occassionally lagers. I have to be in the right mood for them. I quite like American ales as they tend to be fizzier than UK ales and I find it helps to mix the flavour in my mouth. UK ones are so flat at times it is a struggle to get down after a while. With fizz burps make room.

I too like the Belgian beers and enjoy their fruity beers (I am aware that 'fruity beers'could have another meaning in the US). If you can find it try VB beer, it's Australian and ok if in bottles.

Eat Y'self Fitter
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
do you mean Lambics by fruity Belgians (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/10)? I have yet to try them. Is this VB buddha? http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/353/1541

Buddha Belly
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM
That is VB. There were a few good ones in there though. Oh well don't care. I liked it. The site is a real ale one and VB is like a lager/ beer cross. Ale folk disdain lager unless it is made by Nun's closeted in a Belgian well and not for sale to the masses.

Persoanl choice and all that!

Read it back...why am I so defensive? it's a bloody beer!

Eat Y'self Fitter
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM
haha understandable. I love beer advocate and am quite involved with it. I know what you mean though I get real down when my friends hate what I drink. I don't know why but I take it personally as well. Perhaps if I see it I'll it for your sake can't promise I'll like it though

Buddha Belly
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I tried my favourite beer out on some friends at the Cambridge Beer festival this year and was really upset when they did not like it then said it was tasteless. Bear in mind this beer was Champion Best Bitter of GB in Camra best beer 2008.

matt35mm
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Excellent. Well I went through a phase of being really into beer. That stopped when I got to the UK due to money and because, well, I don't really like what's regularly available at pubs and shops here (uh, for vegans, Grolsch, Carlsberg, and now Stella). Except for Sam Smith's pubs, because they serve my favorite beer! So now I drink whiskey.

When I was in California we had a lot of cheap local stuff and good imports available, which is why I got very into it. I even was on Beer Advocate quite a lot.

My favorite beers are Samuel Smith beers (the Nut Brown Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/576/) in particular!) and Deschute's Obsidian Stout (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/197/).

It's perfect that I'll meet you first in my U.S. tour, EYF. Let me buy you a beer!

beanstew
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I'm partial to Indian beers.

*takes sip of ice cold Cobra. :D*

Marrers
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM
My favorite beers are Samuel Smith beers (the Nut Brown Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/576/) in particular!) . . .
It's perfect that I'll meet you first in my U.S. tour, EYF. Let me buy you a beer!
You'll have to bring him a Nut Brown Ale now! ;)

Lord Perennialist
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Old Speckled Hen and Rolling Rock! My two addictions when it comes to beer. One's British, the other American, but they are both good!

fiamma
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Nastro Azzurro - an Italian lager by Peroni - is my fave... and it's vegan :)

However my current love is wine :heart: