PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32

matt35mm
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:53 PM
You'll have to bring him a Nut Brown Ale now! ;)

Sam Smiths are actually easier to find in the U.S. than here in the U.K.! I actually can't find them in Brighton at all!

gogs67
Jul 9th, 2009, 11:03 PM
:d PBR !!:lol

DiaShel
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I love white ales and hefes. I enjoy the taste of beer tremendously but it makes me feel... yucky. Since I started being the healthy vegan that I am my stomach just can't handle what it use to. :(

Enchantress
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Old Speckled Hen and Rolling Rock! My two addictions when it comes to beer. One's British, the other American, but they are both good!

I was under the impression Old Speckled Hen wasn't vegan.
http://www.barnivore.com/beer/Greene%20King%20Brewing

matt35mm
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:15 AM
If you can handle whiskey, it makes you feel GREAT!

Enchantress
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:16 AM
^I beg to differ. Whisky is evil.

matt35mm
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Whiskey and water then?

Enchantress
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:32 AM
No, whisky is still evil no matter how much you dilute it.

gogs67
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Whiskey and Whisky are two different things!:cool:

Enchantress
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Yes, but they're both evil.

matt35mm
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Whiskey and Whisky are two different things!:cool:

Actually they're the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky

With few exceptions, the spelling is Scottish, Canadian, and Japanese whisky, but Irish and American whiskey.

gogs67
Jul 10th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Actually they're the same thing.

You're not a connoisseur then?:D

Eat Y'self Fitter
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Sam Smiths are actually easier to find in the U.S. than here in the U.K.! I actually can't find them in Brighton at all!

Sam smith is everywhere in New England! I'd drink it all the time if it were cheaper. I've had the nut brown but I'm partial to the taddy porter.

Lord Perennialist
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I was under the impression Old Speckled Hen wasn't vegan.
http://www.barnivore.com/beer/Greene%20King%20Brewing

Damn... thanks for the heads up! Beer's one of those things like vegetables that I assume are always vegan friendly... technically beer supposed to have nothing but barley in it. Well that's disappointing... I'll have to find a new favorite beer.

Frosty
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Tiger Beer is looovely! I've just bought a 3L box of Weston's Organic :thumbsup:

Mr Flibble
Jul 10th, 2009, 04:29 PM
You've not gone posh have you?

beanstew
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I like Tiger too. :thumbsup:

snaffler
Jul 10th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I can add a less strong cider to the list if it available in other parts of the UK and that is Thatchers Old Rascal, very light, tasty and carbonated, getting mine at Sainsbury at the moment 3 for £4, and of course it is vegan.

bradders
Jul 10th, 2009, 08:59 PM
ooo yummy yum yums

Name 5434
Jul 12th, 2009, 05:23 PM
watch out for the beers, stouts, wines & ciders - most are not VF due to the substance(s) used in the fining process.

beck's bier is definitely VF however, don't assume that other german biers are similar - their purity laws are now rather vague.

replying to another comment - generally, whisky means whiskey - however if you wish to be particular, it just depends upon whether its 'the scotch' (..ky) or 'the irish' (..key).

nothing like a a glass of hot punch made from stewart's cream of the barley whisky.

DiaShel
Jul 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM
This vegan guy told me that all German beers are vegan. Something about their laws regarding the process. I suppose that isn't true huh?

Eat Y'self Fitter
Jul 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Um I'd actually put a pretty good bet that guy is 98% right about that. Thankfully there is no GOOD reason to use animal products in beer. Isinglass is really the only ingredient that is used. Its used to clarify the beer of yeast finings and and general cloudiness. It is the 21st century now and most companies now use centrifuges, irish moss, DE and rice filters to do the dirty work. Beer really shouldn't need to be filtered in the first place but some customers want a crystal clear beverage.

So that said most major operations, all the huge american companies are vegan friendly. And well not that you'd want to drink those but the majority of high quality beers are vegan friendly because companies do believe in a certain purity of their beers. A lot of beers are bottle conditioned anyway with the yeast in the bottle so you can usually rest assured those are vegan.

Diashel since you are around NY, CT Thomas Hooker (out of bloomfield) is not VF they use fish collagen. And most other beers that aren't vegan you really wouldn't wanna go out of your way to drink anyway; Newcastle, Guiness, Smithwhicks, Berkshire etc. I can list more beers that are vegan friendly then not.

Wine is trickier though alot more of them use animal ingredients. Barnivore.com is a good resource or just emailing a company if your concerned. Ironically enough one place seemed really offended that I asked them if they used animal ingredients.

Jiffy
Jul 12th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I must admit to being a big fan of Fullers beer. Nearly all of their bottled beers are vegan, so it goes to show that it can be done.

EJay
Jul 13th, 2009, 04:04 AM
This vegan guy told me that all German beers are vegan. Something about their laws regarding the process. I suppose that isn't true huh?

The Reinheitsgebot! German purity laws. Originally they only allowed beer to be brewed with water, hops, and barley but was later revised to include yeast.
A little bit of info here (http://www.biermesse.de/englisch/reinheit.html).

It only applies to beers actually brewed in Germany, from what I understand. So, there could be beers on the German market that do not adhere to purity laws and, likewise, German owned beers which are brewed outside the country which do not adhere to purity laws.

Thus - the Weihenstephan beers are some of my absolute favorites! Especially the Vitus (light, refreshing unfiltered wheat) and the Korbinian (dark, sweet, thick and molassesy!)

*live*&*let*live
Jul 27th, 2009, 03:24 AM
What's vegetarian or vegan
O signifies that an organic variety is available. NB: Many cask versions of the same beers will not be suitable for vegetarians.
Vegan: Budweiser, Cannabia (O), Carlsberg Export, Freedom Organic (O), Fuller's 1845 Celebration, Fuller's Discovery, Fuller's Golden Pride, Fuller's Jack Frost, Fuller's London Porter (O), Fuller's Vintage, Hoegaarden, Pinkus Muller (O), Special Brew, Vintage Roots beer and lager (O)
Vegetarian: Angel Lager (O), Bannockburn, Beck's, Ben Nevis (O), Black Douglas, Border Gold (O), Brakspear Organic (O), Budvar, Circle Master (O), Coors, Fuller's Organic Honey Dew (O), The Ghillie, Greenmantle, Grolsch, Heather Ale Alba, Heather Ale Ebulum, Heather Ale Fraoch, Heather Ale Grozet, Heather Ale Kelpie, Heineken, Holsten Pils, Lomond Gold (O), Meantime (O), Merlin's Ale, O'Hanlons, Old Jock, Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Range, Sheriffmuir, Stirling Brigg
Not vegetarian: Bass, Boddingtons, Brakspear, Carling, Castlemaine XXXX, Fiddlers Elbow, Fosters, Freedom, Goliath, Hobgoblin, John Smith's, Kronenbourg 1664, Leffe, Miller Genuine Draft, Newcastle Brown Ale, St Peter's (O), Tennants, Tetley's, Wychcraft
Ethical Consumer has been unable to find information on Amstel, Brahma, Corona Extra, Cruzcampo, Peroni Nastro Azzuro, Pilsner Urquell and Staropramen.

Found the above on ethical consumer does it help anyone? Not a big beer drinker I prefer wine and spirits myself but thought I would post for others. List updates regularly it would seem. Sorry can't get the bold off it's playing up! :eek: