PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32]

Mr Flibble
Aug 6th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Cool :)

twinkle
Aug 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM
That would be great. I've been looking at some online but there are some things i don't understand.

First it sounds like they require a LOT of attention, I'd be scared to go to work in case they exploded? Don't they need depressurizing every few hours?

Also, once the brew is ready or ripe (?) you've got how long to drink it all? Does it stop carbonating or do you have to keep on depressurizing until you're ready to drink it?

I've made a double batch which is in a big stainless steel preseving pan at the moment. Because I can't be arsed to sterilise a couple of demijohns with bubble valves I will have to depressurise the ginger beer a few times once I've strained it into 2 litre fizzy water bottles, because I want it to carry on fermenting to produce a reasonable amount of alcohol. I'll probably leave the bottles out of the fridge for a day and have to open them a couple of times to let out the air build up, or I might cover the tops with plastic bag and put a couple of elastic bands around, which apparently works as well (I've also heard of putting balloons over the top to stop flies in and let the gas out of the bottle).

Once they're in the fridge you want to keep an eye on them, but the cold slows the yeast right down. You might want to open them to relieve the pressure once a week. I've never drank it after more than about 6 weeks, but it was fine at that point.

This is a link to my recipe - http://geocities.ws/acorns_rule/ginger_beer.html - I no longer have access to the site, so can't change it, but where it says boil 3 pints, just boil 2 instead.

I don't think I've ever actually gone for the cream of tartar option, it was in one of the source recipes, I think.

Firestorm
Apr 18th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I emailed Inbev about Stella after seeing this thread, as I'd gone without it for so many years! Here's their reply...

Thank you for your e-mail to the consumer helpline.

Stella Artois is suitable for vegetarian/Vegans in the UK, and as far as I as I am aware also in France.

Once again, thank you for contacting InBev UK.
Regards
Barbara
Consumer Helpline Advisor
InBev UK Ltd
0870 24 111 24

Makes life so much easier in mainstream pubs!!!

Stella have brought out a new drink - Cidre - This is NOT suitable for vegans, I emailed them and they have confirmed its not.

dekidex
Jul 3rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
Hello.... Does anyone know if Sweetheart Stout is vegan? I can't seem to find any information on the internet about it. Thanks!

veggie~snackle
Mar 2nd, 2012, 02:19 AM
For anyone who wants an alcohol-free vegan beer, check this out. I don't drink alcohol and this is the only beer I can buy locally that is totally alcohol free (others are 0.5%). So I e-mailed the company to see if it was vegan. This is their reply:

" Thank you for your kind inquiry and your interest in our enterprise and our products.

With reference to the brewing process of Bitburger Drive we would like to inform you that the alcohol is carefully removed once the beer has fully matured.

Due to our modern brewing technology we are in fact able to reduce the residual amount of alcohol to approximately 0,02 vol.% and below – which mathematically equals 0,0 % and corresponds to an alcoholic strength you will find in many natural fruit juices.

Our Bitburger Drive as well as our Bitburger Pils are brewed according to the German Purity Law from 1516. Thus we only use water, hops, malts, and yeast as ingredients. For the purification of our beer we exclusively use diatomaceous earth. Moreover, we process vegetable casein adhesives for our emblems.

If there are any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

With kind regards
Astrid Mathey

VMP/Kommunikation Bitburg/Astrid Mathey

BITBURGER BRAUGRUPPE GmbH
Römermauer 3 | 54634 Bitburg "

Firestorm
Oct 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Does anyone know if Ridgeway Beers are Vegan?

Jara
Oct 12th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Does anyone know if Ridgeway Beers are Vegan?

Maybe this could be useful. Is a wine and beer directory where you can find out whether they are vegan or not:

http://www.barnivore.com/wine#

Firestorm
Oct 12th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Maybe this could be useful. Is a wine and beer directory where you can find out whether they are vegan or not:

http://www.barnivore.com/wine#

Thanks, I checked Barnivore first, then spent another hour googling to try and find out to no avail. I just thought someone may have already checked it here:-)

Mymblesdaughter
Oct 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Just thought I'd mention some vegan friends of mine they run a brewery in Hastings and all their beer is vegan. They are a new company so are still growing and have just started to sell their beer online. Some of the pubs in Hastings stock their beer and hopefully they will be moving out into the rest of the country soon.

http://hastingsbrewery.co.uk/

Jara
Oct 14th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks, I checked Barnivore first, then spent another hour googling to try and find out to no avail. I just thought someone may have already checked it here:-)

Why don't you write them?

Firestorm
Oct 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I have, just waiting for the response:-)

Firestorm
Oct 15th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Got a response. Its a no to Ridgeway beer.

Glen Lambert
Oct 20th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Anyone know if the Carlsberg Zest with spiced orange is vegan?

Glen Lambert
Oct 25th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Anyone know if the Carlsberg Zest with spiced orange is vegan?

It isn't due to the filtration process.

vegmonkey
Apr 19th, 2013, 01:03 AM
For those in the Midwest, Great Lakes makes some great beers and I read elsewhere on the internet that they don't use isinglass for filtration, they use a synthetic filter called PVPP (I believe) which may not be the healthiest thing out there but at least no animals were harmed to make it!