PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

TonyF
May 30th, 2006, 06:47 PM
A'dam is a fine city imho; and caters well for vegans.

In UK you can buy vegan beer no problem, other drinks from some wholefood shop.

RedWellies
May 30th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Anyone have any info on draught Strongbow, please?
Yes, sorry, meant to post earlier about this then I forgot!:o
It's OK, you can drink it!! Check out Isitvegan.info (http://www.isitvegan.info)

That site is compiled from first hand info so it can be trusted. And you can send them info on any products if you know them to be vegan.:D

snaffler
Jun 1st, 2006, 02:15 PM
I emailed the TLVB and here is what they say :)

They Said:------------

----- Original Message -----
To: Jayson Rowe
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: Dietary Question

Dear Jayson

Little Valley Brewery does 6 bottle conditioned beers which are all vegan. (Withens IPA 3.9 %, Cragg Vale Bitter 4.2 %, Hebdens Wheat 4.5 %, Stoodley Stout 4.8 %, Tod's Blonde 5.0 % and Moor Ale 5.5 %)
From draft only the Wheat beer is vegan, however in the future we will consider to do all draft beers vegan too.
My beers are available in some shops in Yorkshire and Lancashire. At the end of this year I will start selling beer via the internet (mailorder) to mainland UK. However starting next month Suma will start selling 4 of Little Valley beers under their own label, and those beers are vegan too.
If you have more questions please mail.

Wim van der Spek
Little Valley Brewery
To: sales@littlevalleybrewery.co.uk
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 1:41 PM
Subject: Dietary Question

I asked:------------

Dear Little Valley,

I have just read about you in the latest Vegan Society Magazine so I am guessing some of your range is suitable for vegan diets.

In the chance that I spot on of your beers whilst out and about could you tell me which ones are suitable for vegan diets and of course if it bottled or cask regarding suitability as I know Isinglass is often used in Cask Beers.

Many thanks for your time and help.

Best wishes

Jayson Rowe

Wildflower
Jun 7th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Has anyone posted this for the US?

I found it today and it looked promising...

http://www.veganproducts.org/drinks.html

Juice
Jul 5th, 2006, 01:18 AM
I'll never look at Corona the same. Lime. y.

snaffler
Jul 11th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Email below

Ref: 26-7/03476

11th July 2006

Dear Mr Rowe,

Thank you for your e-mail and enquiry regarding Blackthorn Cider.

We have passed your query to our Quality Assurance Department and they have given us the following information:

Blackthorn like all our other ciders/perries has finings added to it to assist in the clarification. This is an inherent part of the brewing process and there are two types of finings in use, one is derived from clay, the other from fish and/or shellfish. Our products are then filtered which will remove the finings but there may be slight traces left. Therefore Blackthorn Cider is unsuitable for vegans and strict vegetarians.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us, we hope this information is of use to you.

Kind regards,

Kirsty Haynes
Customer Care Administrator
01275 890 294
kirsty.haynes@cbrands.eu.com

Russ
Jul 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Blackthorn gives me a massive headache anyway.

Limey
Jul 17th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I'll never look at Corona the same. Lime. y.
I planned it all along.

snaffler
Jul 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM
In true bumpkin style I have sourced more vegan cider.

Copy of Email to Burrow Hill Cider, those of you who go to Glastonbury will be familiar with the Big Cider bus left of Pyramid Stage.

http://www.ciderbrandy.co.uk/

Copy of email sent and reply at the top:

Dear Jayson,

I am pleased to be able to say that we use none of those
products and our ciders are fit for vegans,

yours Julian Temperley

From: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (removed to prevent spam)
To: <contact@ciderbrandy.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 2:10 PM
Subject: Contact Form

> Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
> Jayson Rowe xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (removed to prevent spam) on Monday, July 17, 2006 at 14:10:31
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------C> Comments:: Dear Burrow Hill Cider,
>
> I am seeking some dietary information on your product for personal
> reasons, I have tried your cider many years ago at Glastonbury,I follow a
> strict vegan diet and it may affect me being able to drink it.
>
> This is question that may be best passed to customer care or someone in
> the lab/technical area of the company.
>
> I am trying to ascertain if your products are suitable for strict
> vegetarian and vegan diets. By this I mean that no part of production of
> or final fining processes use any animal ingredients or animal by products
> to achieve the finished product.
>
> This also includes such things as isinglass and gelatine that may have
> been used during production but is removed at the end of the production
> process, this would still deem to be unsuitable for these diets.
>
> I know many cider companies rarely use these products now and it seems to
> be more common in traditional ales rather than ciders.
>
> I look forward to hearing from you and hope you can give me and answer as
> soon as possible for you.
>
> Best wishes & Many thanks
>
> Jayson Rowe

VeganJohn
Jul 19th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Can you not get vegan suitable cider from the Co-op?

I don't drink it myself though.

greenfield
Jul 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM
i ignored a lot about how alcoholic drinks are made. i drink too-im a social drinker.i always thought of alcohol as being something very much veg, i mean i had no idea that it could contain animal fats or anything from animals.

smithfield
Jul 24th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Isinglas is the dried swim bladder of the sturgeoen. It is acceptable in kosher wine as a Rabbi decided that it was all removed at the end of the process. If you would like any more info on what wines are vegan please let me know,
Cheers,
George

Ms Macaque
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I heard that some wines contain bovine blood! I think the vegan wine would not contain anything like that of course. I have no idea about the other forms of alcohol. I know the local vegan c0-operative sells vegan beers, ales and wine so they should not contain any animal ingredients.
I don't drink any alcohol, of course, so it is the best way to avoid any problems not to mention all the other chemicals and ingredients that may go in....some of my friends are vegetarians and also from a Christian religion that would not permit the consumption of any blood-containing products so that will include wine...I hope they know about this bovine blood business in the wines though.........!

Pagan Vegan
Aug 9th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I have contacted Westons cider and they have confirmed in writing that there entire range, bottled, draught and keg is all vegan. IMHO it's the tastiest too!

:)

snaffler
Aug 15th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I have contacted Westons cider and they have confirmed in writing that there entire range, bottled, draught and keg is all vegan. IMHO it's the tastiest too!

:)

I will second that it is the best cider ever :p and that is from the a true bumpkin cider slurper....check out the westons web site http://www.westons-cider.co.uk/ you can buy online all labeled as vegan here as well.

Mr Flibble
Aug 15th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I usually have bottles of westons knocking around :)

They sell 3 litre kegs in sainsburys for a few quid - all labelled vegan of course.

snaffler
Aug 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Mr Fibble next time you are down sainsbury pick up a bottle or two of Westons Old Rosie they do sell it, one of the best in the range, also try Westons Stowford Press.

Mr Flibble
Aug 15th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I've not seen that one in the midlands, i usually drink their organic stuff (it's the same price as their non organic!). I'll keep my eyes peeled thou, I'm always up for trying new vegan products, especially those that are alcoholic :D

Russ
Aug 15th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Westons would be my cider of choice, but it's not available in most pubs. However there is one up near Ealing Broadway that has it :) However the stupid pub has a 21 and over policy, meaning even if I show ID to prove I am 20 years old, I can't order drinks. DUMB.

Chocs4me
Aug 15th, 2006, 04:25 PM
What do you drink when out?

I've just discovered irn bru isnt vegan (how gutted am I? i love the stuff!) and i usually either drink WKD or white wine so now i go the pub and cant have the wine cos its probably not vegan and cant have my precious WKD :( Whats a girl to drink without harming anyone but herself!! :D (Although, now ive entered motherhood, i dont drink very much any more but it is nice to have a few now and then!) Oh and dont tell me any beer, lager or cider suggestions as i dont like all that - thanks!! :)

RedWellies
Aug 15th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Some wines are OK. Fetzer white wines are vegan (they sell those in some pubs, like Wetherspoons). If you have a local pub, see what wines they sell and then you can find out if they're vegan.

Captain Morgan's rums are vegan if you like rum? I'm not sure about the "alcopops", you'd have to ask the manufacturers. I think Smirnoff Ice is OK.

Mr Flibble
Aug 15th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I've not seen that one in the midlands

wow, I really do talk bollocks sometimes don't i? :D

It practically lept out at me in morrisons about 15 minutes after that post. Thus tonight I'm going to be taste testing the difference between it and the organic. For purely scientific purposes you understand ;)

Cherry
Aug 15th, 2006, 10:11 PM
:eek: regarding irn bru. Are you sure? Have you been told that by the manufacturer?

Also we are advising vegans to avoid any fizzy drinks with Beta Carotene in them, as the manufacturers claim not to be under a legal obligation to tell us whether they use gelatine as a carrier for the product. The only exception to this rule is Irn Bru. They emailed us and told us that they do not use animal derived ingredients at any point in the manufacture of the product and that Irn Bru is therefore suitable for vegans.

from the realfood website (http://www.realfood.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=30)

Chocs4me
Aug 15th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! you just made me so happy! :D I had checked the isitvegan site & it said irn bru wasnt vegan plus i couldnt find it in the animal free shopper - but i guess a statement direct from the company would be reliable enough! phew!! :)

Cherry
Aug 15th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Hmm. I think if the isitvegan website says it isn't, and the realfood one says it is, then maybe we need to check with the manufacturer ourselves. There shouldn't really be conflicting reports. I hope isitvegan were just making assumptions. Fingers crossed :)