PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RedWellies
Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Oh, OK, thanks. Is it nice?

Soul Rebel
Nov 2nd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Oh, OK, thanks. Is it nice?

It was nice in college because it was cheap, but I haven't drank it since graduating.

Frank
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Cobra is vegan but I don't know what King Cobra is.

I would be wary of Cobra.

Cobra have refused to state whether or not they use isinglass.

They would not even tell the Vegan Society either - after repeated attempts.

I believe if it was suitable for vegans they would have come forward and acknowledged it.

They don't want to do that so it probably isn't.

They did make statements in earlier times that it was vegan - but nothing since they were asked about isinglass.

Until you get an assurity from them on this point - I wouldn't bother.

RedWellies
Mar 7th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I would be wary of Cobra.
Oh, OK, thanks for that Frank. I haven't re-checked with them for ages. I don't drink it myself but I like to know about alcohol so I can let others know. I will have to look into it... along with Pimms, my next challenge!

Lilac Hamster
Mar 15th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Here is the reply I got from Cobra for anyone who is interested.

Hi

We have had a final confirmation that there are no finings or animal derived materials used to brew Cobra , so I’m sure it is OK for Vegans.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Mela Masser
Marketing Coordinator

Cobra Beer Ltd.
Alexander House
14-16 Peterborough Road
London
SW6 3BN
Tel: +44(0)2077316200
Fax: +44(0)2077316201

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 08 March 2007 11:16
To: Mela Masser
Subject: RE: Cobra Beer

Thanks, but this does not really answer the question as to if it is vegan which it would not be if any animal ingredients such as milk or egg derivatives are used in the process. Please can you confirm whether or not anything of animal origin is used in the making of Cobra?

Regards,

Lesley Dove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: mmasser@COBRABEER.COM [mailto:mmasser@COBRABEER.COM]
Sent: 08 March 2007 10:17
To: Lesley@vegan4life.org.uk
Subject: Cobra Beer
Importance: High

Hi Lesley,

Thank you for your email.

Cobra beer is suitable for Vegetarians.

If you have anymore questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Mela Masser

Marketing Coordinator

Cobra Beer Ltd.

Alexander House

14-16 Peterborough Road

London

SW6 3BN

Tel: +44(0)2077316200

Fax: +44(0)2077316201

ajkochanowicz
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:01 PM
What about Guiness? Is that vegan?

(I love Guiness)

Frank
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:03 PM
No - Guiness is not vegan.

Guiness are happy to state that fish finnings may be present in the final product.

What about Guiness? Is that vegan?

(I love Guiness)

ajkochanowicz
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Damnit.

Kevster
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM
'NEW LIFE PARROT RESCUE & HELPLINE SERVICE

PRESENTS Vegan/veggie 'PALE ALE'

We are proud to announce the arrival of NLPR 'Pale Ale', especially
made for vegans and vegetarians - it is completely animal friendly and is
made using an ethical green system, as with all other ales made by St. Judes
Brewery.

The NLPR pale ale is only available at St.Judes Brewery -
www.stjudesbrewery.co.uk - who have a license to sell ale to you
straight from their brewery for you to enjoy at home.
However, we are working toward getting this stocked in supermarkets and other high street
outlets.

Retail price is £2 per 500ml bottle and for every bottle sold the
Charity will receive 25% of the revenue raised. NLPR Pale Ale follows on from
the NLPR 'Golden Ale', and to our knowledge, this is the first vegan
Ale in the UK designed to help an animal charity. If you drink Ale, then please support
this effort and buy a bottle or two and help our small charity to build a large parrot rescue,
rehabilitation, education and awareness facility for us to continue and expand our valuable
work and help more needy parrots today and, unfortunately, for those of tomorrow Small
animal rescue charities need your help the most.'

Kevster
Apr 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM
'it is completely animal friendly and is made using an ethical green system, as with all other ales made by St. Judes Brewery.'

This bit isn't quite right, with their other ales you have to request the vegan version. As they do offer a fined version of the beer which isn't vegetarian.

Kevster
Apr 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
New...... http://www.atlanticbrewery.com/

gertvegan
Apr 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
They're at the Bristol Vegan Fayre Mr Kev. :D

Kevster
Apr 20th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Indeedy doody, as are Sam Smiths i believe....

gertvegan
Apr 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Has anyone tried Stoodley Stout made by the Little Valley Brewery? See http://www.vintageroots.co.uk/product.asp?id=1866

Rich black stout containing chocolate malt mixed with oats and wheat. Stoodley Stout has a rich and creamy roasted flavour with aromas of orange, citrus and berry.

Kevster
Apr 20th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I most certainly have tried the Stoodley Stout, and the others in their range.
Suma also do a similar range by Little Valley but under their own label, and vegan trademarked! Available just about anywhere by asking your independent wholefood shop to sneak some in.

All pretty good, i've got a batch of their Elphin Brook bitter at present.

Risker
May 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
All of Brothers Cider's products are vegan, I had to check because they're the official cider of Glasto.

Kevster
May 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Made a special detour to Borough market in London for one of each of the Atlantic Brewery beers. http://www.atlanticbrewery.com/

I'll be having the Celtic ale shortly.

Kevster
May 12th, 2007, 09:48 PM
The Celtic Ale was quite distinctive, the Summer Ale is pretty lovely it's got a slight lemmony twang to it, i'd definitely have a few more bottles of that.

Kevster
May 13th, 2007, 05:34 PM
The Dark Ale is a bit rich for me, i'd definitely go for the Summer Ale though, and will get hold of a few more when the opportunity arises.

Poison Ivy
May 17th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I have asked our liquid engineers....

I'm sorry, but 'liquid engineers' .... that made me chuckle!:o :D

Mr Flibble
May 17th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I was thinking of donating a vat full as my contribution ;)

shez
May 18th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I have been just looking at The Bristol Vegan guide online and they have a small artical in the back regarding vegan drinks but I noticed some beers in the guide I thought were unsuitable (the ones in bold)

OTHER WIDELY AVAILABLE BRANDS
Bass Grolsch (except 275ml bottle); Budweiser; All; Carlsberg-Tetley Carlsberg, Lowenbrau; Pils Charles Wells Beers Can, Bottle, Keg (NOT Cask): Bombardier Bitter, Eagle Bitter,
Banana Bread Beer, Red Stripe Lager, Kirin; Lager, Cobra Lager; Interbrew Heineken; Export, Hoegaarden, Rolling Rock; Scottish
Courage Ltd Beck's, Holsten Pils

CIDERS
Aspall Suffolk Cyder: Dry, Medium, Organic; Bulmer UK Ltd Bulmers Original, Bulmers; Traditional (keg only), Strongbow, Symonds; Scrumpy Jack, White Lightning, Woodpecker
Cider; Dunkerton's Cider Company Black Fox; Sparkling Medium Dry, Premium Organic; Sparkling, Kingston Black Cider; Sedlescombe; Organic Vineyard Dry Cider; Thatchers All

In the Beers section I noticed Grolsch now a while back I read that only the
450ml swing top bottles and keg Grolsh was Vegan

In the Ciders the Woodpecker and Strongbow, again I am sure these have alway been unsuitable, I think this info was from the animal free shopper not the latest edition though...

Have these companies updated the process to a vegan one ? Confused :confused:

Thanks
Snaffler

hi there,
yer ive found this a few times. beers and stouts are tricky when it comes down to whether their vegan.

As far as i know strongbow is vegan but blackthorn cidar is not, (you can actually see the second is a lot more "orange" in colour) proabaly somethin' to do with beta carateen

As for grolsh yer its vegan. i think they actually have the vegan approved stamp, although im not to sure.

p.s i still miss guinness

refinnej
May 25th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Does anyone know if Waitrose Ales are vegan? There is an organic one labelled "suitable for vegetarians".

Kevster
May 25th, 2007, 06:50 PM
They used to have an organic ale that was vegan trademarked....

refinnej
May 25th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Ah. See the one I found today had the Vegetarian Society seal.

I think it's really rare for alcohol to be clarified with egg or milk (that is vegetarian, but not vegan), but I've read that it's possible, using egg albumen or casein.

Blech.