PDA

View Full Version : AAARGGGH! Milk Marketing!

Pages : [1] 2

Pob
Jul 27th, 2005, 04:54 PM
This may be old news to some of you, but I only recently saw this advertised at the cinema - it seems to be only advertised before teen rated movies - 12 and 12A in the UK.

The website is here:
http://www.naturallybeautiful.co.uk

and this is a link to the Milk Development Council's press release
http://www.mdc.org.uk/mdc-main/press-releases/NaturallyBeautifullaunch.htm

I have only just given up milk and have read a lot recently about how milk isn't good for people (not to mention the cows), and the advert at the cinema made me feel really ill. It was like watching people showering in blood and guts or something.

Anyhow I think that the website and campaign are disgusting and misleading. The press release even goes as far as saying that if you get young girls on milk then they will give the message to their kids to drink milk.

SurfNSun
Jul 27th, 2005, 05:19 PM
That's really gross!!!:(

Tofu Monster
Jul 27th, 2005, 06:43 PM
man, all these milk-related lies perpetuated by the dairy industry really piss me off.

in the doctor's waiting room where i take the guys i look after, there's a poster with a pregnant woman on, and underneath it reads 'your body needs milk'. it just really winds me up.

if your body 'needs' milk, how do you account for all us healthy vegans???

Roxy
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Vicky Hathaway marketing manager at MDC says: “There are 2.25m girls aged 11-16 in Great Britain. If every one of them drank just one extra glass of milk a day, that’s 164 million extra litres of milk a year. We’re aiming to make eating dairy a healthy habit, so that it’s not just over the next two years we’ll see increases in consumption amongst these girls, but for the rest of their lives. And as the mothers of the future, they will be instrumental in encouraging future generations to eat a healthy amount of a variety of dairy products.”

Oh yes, and just think of all that extra money the dairy industry will make, Vicky!!

Vegantastic
Jul 28th, 2005, 01:48 AM
campaign financed with aid from the european union and the milk development council

nice.. my tax money goes to the milk campaign :eek:

I think I will write a letter about that. Or I am going to ask for money for a campaign against milk/dairy.

darcydove
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:14 AM
oh, that's quite disturbing. especially the part about more litres of milk per year. yes, great idea, make even more cows suffer, how nice! ugh!

interesting, though, I just read an article the other day that would contradict that. -- usa today: "acne link to milk, sweets: Can diet cause acne? Dermatological dogma says no. New research says yes. White bread, doughnuts, soft drinks and other high-glycemic-index foods spike insulin and blood sugar. High insulin, says Colorado State's Loren Cordain, incites the overproduction of male hormones and the formation of zits. In Harvard research, teens who drank three-plus glasses of milk a day, especially skim milk, reported the worst acne. Outbreaks were 44% higher in skim milk drinkers than in non milk drinkers. Possible reason: hormones is milk. Buying organic might reduce the hazard."

Glen
Jul 6th, 2006, 02:36 PM
...is the name of the latest campaign by the dairy industry. Has anyone seen the TV advert? It is a spoof of hair and make-up adverts in which 3 models rub and bathe themselves with dairy products.

The corresponding website is http://www.naturallybeautiful.co.uk. It is the biggest load of crap I think I have ever seen.

You can watch the advert online. Also, note the 'Ask Alicia' agony aunt style section; A girl aged 12 has written in to ask how to make friends and she is advised to hold a sleepover, supplying dairy snacks and extolling their virtues to the other girls!

This really does infuriate me. Go on the site and check it out :mad:

Enchantress
Jul 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Naturally beautiful? Because stealing the breast milk of another species and drinking it beyond infant hood is soooo natural :rolleyes:.

aubergine
Jul 6th, 2006, 02:54 PM
The blind leading the blind...

Smoothie
Jul 6th, 2006, 03:49 PM
euw. that's just gross propaganda. wtf is wrong with people?

Pob
Jul 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM
That's been going for a while, I posted something about it last year, after seeing the ads in the cinema.

The story behind it is if you can brainwash the teenagers to believing that milk is the be all and end all of health and beauty, then they will pass this propaganda onto the next generation in a few years time.

Maybe we should complain to the ASA :confused:

Onefirefly
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Where in the world did they come up with that ad??? Not only that, but dairy products are going to make you fat not beautiful...

sugarmouse
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I dont know whether to laugh or cry at that website:(are people realy so impressionabel:(

Limey
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:44 PM
That's as annoying as these Happy Cow commercials here in the US. I would love for someone to make a parody of these commercials showing what really goes on.
Here's one of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtAsFHEstaI

And another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGwbK4xbiTk

tilly
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:15 PM
OMG! Have you seen the 'facts'?!?! :eek:

FOR YOUR FUTURE
Although it might seem a long way off now, one extra benefit of eating cheese and yogurts, and drinking milk, is that can help reduce the risk of you developing Osteoporosis as you get older. This is thanks to them being full of calcium that helps build strong bones.

It's the complete opposite! :mad:

Facts my arse.

tilly
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM
LMAO! I was just doing the fad or fact game to see what kind of shit they're spreading:

Stupid dairy tossers: Dairy foods make you put on weight
Me: Yep
Stupid dairy tossers: FAD! Scientific studies show that people who include three portions of dairy, in a healthy balanced diet, gain less weight than those who eat less dairy.
Me: Oh yes, sorry, I was wrong. Vegans are known to be the most obese group of people, and drinking pus is good for you. What have I been smoking? :rolleyes:

Christie
Jul 8th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Ive seen this advert on tv, I was amazed at how stupid people can be!

lozza
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:54 PM
BUMP!

i was going to post, saying OMG look what website i have found. but i did a search and found this thread.

what a bunch of fucking crap! i cant believe this website. its so god-damn ridiculous! i dunno how they can be allowed to make ads/websites like this.

oh & those happy cow ads are terrible. kinda like the dairylea ones here in the UK. where the cows are like "we have to make lots of milk for growing children!"

GAH!

Vegan cat
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:58 PM
i just got a glimpse on tv of the ad!! Shocking!!

princessemma
Jul 16th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I have just seen the advert for naturally beautiful. Can u believe this crap?

tilly
Jul 17th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Urgh!

This adverts so sleazy and full of shit... It disgusted my friend and he's only a veggie, but he's getting there ;)

I think they've just forgotten about what hotties us vegans are, with our luscious locks, manicured nails and strokeable skin...

*Sigh* :rolleyes:

veggiewoman
Jul 17th, 2006, 12:42 AM
I saw it too , made me mad, I looked at the website but couldnt find any contact details , I wanted to get us all complaining to them.
Any ideas on how we can still do that?

sugarmouse
Jul 17th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Its just a load of crap.I cant stretch my vocabulary for it.Just crap cos they know folk will buy it.it works.
sorry Tilly I dont think my heavily dyed pillarbox red (not tested on animals) hair n bitten nails fit that description but I guess I still got it! :D

Pilaf
Jul 17th, 2006, 03:32 AM
The fact is that right now, the common consensus is that milk is healthy, and despite this being mostly propoganda, it's penetrated the consciousness of the common citizen. Even people who don't drink it think they "should drink more...for my bones!" and I try to tell them that if they're fairly healthy without it, there's no reason to start.

Gorilla
Jul 17th, 2006, 09:43 AM
i saw that advert for the first time last night too (i don't watch a lot of TV). all i can say is, gross. :mad: