PDA

View Full Version : Vit. D3, ect. Would they just be thrown out?

veggiegirl3
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Right now, I avoid all foods with animal-derived Vitamin D. Recently, I heard that animal-derived "trace ingredients" would be thrown away if not used and it wouldn't slow down or stop the meat/dairy industries at all. However, I still feel like people are making money on them, and that's wrong, so I avoid them. What are your oppinions? Does avoiding them help in some way (even small), by making a statement for instance, or does it hurt the vegan movement by making veganism "seem hard?" Would these things be thrown away if not used? For now, I'm stearing clear, but I would like more info.

Edited to add: I am not talking about things that state, "May contain traces..." I am talking about products (like cereals) that ADD IN these things.

absentmindedfan
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
I avoid them if they are from animal sources as I do not consume any animal products. Also I like to buy from vegan-friendly places partly as it makes a tiny difference to their sales but mostly I'd rather they had my money.

RedWellies
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
vg3, you could look at it like this.... if everyone was like us (basically vegan) but consumed animal derived vitamins, then the animals could just be killed/kept for the vitamins. (Unlikely I know due to the cost involved but who knows?)

veggiegirl3
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Good point! I currently avoid them, and will continue to do so, but I wanted to get some more info on the issue...I had never thought of killing animals for the vitamins! I hope they'd never do that, but they could! That point makes it seem right to continue to avoid these things. :)