PDA

View Full Version : Vegan San Diego

Pages : [1] 2

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 12th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Where are you all at? There are a few good groups here in San Diego that host Vegan potlucks and the like... Where is everyone?

gertvegan
Sep 15th, 2004, 01:27 PM
I thought the great link posted by veganmike would be good for future reference in the USA forum to. All new VegSanDiego.com! HERE (http://www.vegsandiego.com/)

Mystic
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Hey CC, do you live anywhere near Hotel Circle? Sorry Off topic

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Yes, quite close actually. Is that one of the places you stayed? I was in NYC when you were in San Diego I believe...

Mystic
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Yes, I was in Hotel Circle South :) When were you in New York?

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:32 PM
September 6-16 :D What did you do in SD (eat junk food, I hope!)

Wishin986
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:33 PM
random thought. wouldn't it have been crazy to be in the same city right near where someonelse on the VF lived and most likely pass them on the street and you never knew it? just an interesting thought that I figured ide throw out there :p

Mystic
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:36 PM
We actually took it easy - went shopping at Fashion Valley and Horton Plaza, went to the baseball, ate at some Persian restaurant...I was actually in SD from 28th September - 1st October.

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:39 PM
We actually took it easy - went shopping at Fashion Valley and Horton Plaza, went to the baseball, ate at some Persian restaurant...I was actually in SD from 28th September - 1st October.

Which Persian restaurant? Did you go anywhere else to eat? The Co-op? In was in LA when you were here :(

Mystic
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:42 PM
It was somewhere in the Gaslamp area - 5th street I think. Can't remember what it was called, but I had like a split pea/eggplant spicy thing with saffron rice. Otherwise I lived off Jamba Juices, and plain bean burritos (god if I ever eat mexican again I will vomit). I also ate at wholefoods - sesame broccoli and brown rice! And yes, I did eat plenty of junk food. And I fell in love with the combination of dates and walnuts right in San Diego, where I discovered date and walnut rolls :D

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Please do tell me where you found vegan Mexican food! I know of only 2 places in all of San Diego that have even veg options!

Mystic
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Pokes i think?

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:46 PM
:D My friend Rafa owns Pokez! Cool place (GREAT Sangria!). The burritos there are sooooooooooo huge!

Mystic
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Pokez

947 E St (92101) (map)

619-702-7160

Ova, Lacto, Vegan-friendly, Organic, Fast-food, Mexican, Not 100% Vegetarian.

Found it on happycow

Mystic
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:48 PM
While it was nice, I swear, the next time I will have a burrito will be too soon :D

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Pokez

947 E St (92101) (map)

619-702-7160

Ova, Lacto, Vegan-friendly, Organic, Fast-food, Mexican, Not 100% Vegetarian.

Found it on happycow

HA! That review must be really old; it's not even 1/2 vegetarian and *not* organic at all!

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:50 PM
While it was nice, I swear, the next time I will have a burrito will be too soon :D

The soup with soft tortillas and beans is a pretty good meal :)

Mystic
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:51 PM
LOL - that is the happycow review thing!!!! I actually got recommended it by the hotel concierge.

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:53 PM
LOL - that is the happycow review thing!!!! I actually got recommended it by the hotel concierge.

Yeah, that's what I meant...the Hapycow review must be really old. I wish I could just tour around and write a book of reviews for vegan food! Problem is, even that would be outdated quickly due to high turnover etc.

Mystic
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:55 PM
I used Happycow like the bible when I was in the US, and a lot of the time, places were either
1. shut down
2. disgusting looking, that I would have prefered to eat out of a garbage bin :)

I can't remember now where they were, but I basically got by in the US coz of the miracle that is Whole Foods :)

Wishin986
Oct 10th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I can't remember now where they were, but I basically got by in the US coz of the miracle that is Whole Foods :)

Wholefoods is where I live. Most weeks I go there just about everyday for lunch and to grocery shop. There arn't many options in the area at all and this is the south in the US which means its BBQ and pork and steak country, groossss. so most restaurants dont even have many options, plus its all practically fast food and chains anyways which again rarely have much. thus whole foods is my life and i am so thankful to have one right down the street!

Tigerlily
Oct 11th, 2005, 12:16 AM
You Americans have everything!

We don't have a Whole Foods here. :(

Kevster
Jan 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Here is a Sea Shepherd fundraising event taking place in San Diego, California and involving food!

http://www.tapasandtopsls.org/

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 25th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Nice! Too bad they didn't go with a VEGAN catering company! It sure would be nice if ethical events that focus on offering vegan foods would support vegan catering companies (who can do vegan food better anyway!).

Kevster
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:53 PM
Nice! Too bad they didn't go with a VEGAN catering company!

Yeah, maybe so, mail them, and suggest a range of people that could have done it.