PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding a mango.

aussyj
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Hey, guys! Long time no post for me, huh? ... Well, I actually decided to come back, finally, and I even have a question now. See, I really like mangos! I buy one about every two weeks, and I enjoy to eat them as a snack on the days when I need that special treat to pick me up! The way I usually eat them is simple: I get a knife, and I start going at em'! ... Well, I decided to check into that method. I was looking online, and everything that I found mentioned that you must peel a mango. Everything mentioned that the mango peel is not edible.... Now, I haven't had any problems with health or anything, but this got me a little worried. Why should the mango peel not be eaten? Is there a reason, other than pesticides? ... I sincerely hope that I didn't screw up my digistive track, or anything... Should I start peeling my mangos from now on, or is it nothing to worry about?

eve
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I live in 'mango country', and outside my front door is a huge mango tree that is well over 100 years old. Pratically every garden has a mango tree. I've never heard of mangoes being peeled. We just wash the outside (though of course they don't get pesticides on them), it's because birds and other creatures go onto them, often biting into them. We cut chunks, and eat the mango down to the seed. Enjoy.

boombalada
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I spent a few months living in Tanzania a while back, and we had a mango tree in the garden too. The locals had no problems eating the skin, and I doubt there's anything wrong with it, though I confess I didn't much like it myself. I've heard a similar debate about the skin on kiwi fruit. I think, basically, if something tastes okay, and it doesn't have eyes, then eat it. Fruits are generally very safe to eat, unlike some vegetables, which have to be cooked first.
It's winter here, and I'm craving a fresh mango - the tinned stuff just doesn't cut it. And bananas are $15 a kilo because of some bloody cyclone in Queensland that wiped out most of the crop. boo hoo

Imapeach
Aug 7th, 2006, 10:58 AM
It's winter here, and I'm craving a fresh mango - the tinned stuff just doesn't cut it. And bananas are $15 a kilo because of some bloody cyclone in Queensland that wiped out most of the crop. boo hoo

Tinned mango is better than no mango!
Bananas were only $13 at my supermarket yesterday! :D Woo!!

I wonder how long it takes to grow a mango tree from seed? With the amount I alone consume during summer months, if we planted all the seeds, we could feed the world!

DancingWillow
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I love mangoes, and I've always peeled them. I think I'll try it with the peel next time! But, I wouldn't try kiwi's with the peel...their outside is too fuzzy to be edible in my opinion.

Wildflower
Aug 8th, 2006, 03:55 AM
I've never heard of mangoes being peeled.

I have never heard of them NOT being peeled - who knew! :)

We always peel kiwis too, allthough i quite enjoy how fuzzy peaches are, so I may like it. I was really saddened when I heard some farmers "breed" peaches to be less fuzzy. :( I felt a bit heartbroken actually...:confused:

Does anyone not peel bananas? i was reading a recipe here the other day and it said something like, 1 banana, peeled. I was like, who doesn't know to peel a banana? :p But apparently, different parts of the world have different peeling standards...

claireyveg
Aug 8th, 2006, 03:59 AM
I've never eaten mango peel on purpose, i have by accident though, i don't remember it being too bad but not something i would go out of my way to consume, lol. I would never dream of eating a banana peel or a kiwi for that matter, i do have a friend though who eats the entire apple, core and all!! weirdo... :p

Imapeach
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:08 AM
allthough i quite enjoy how fuzzy peaches are

I'm a fuzzy peach... well, since I stopped shaving my legs :D :eek:

DancingWillow
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:14 AM
How sad that they breed them to be less fuzzy...damn GM! That being said, I do prefer nectarines over peaches, partly because of the less fuzz on nectarines.

And I always peel bananas too!

DancingWillow
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:17 AM
I'm a fuzzy peach... well, since I stopped shaving my legs :D :eek:

rofl :D

i do have a friend though who eats the entire apple, core and all!! weirdo... :p

i've done that once or twice and it's not that bad, but usually i don't eat the core. i've heard that the apple seeds are really good for you, but i'm not sure if you have to chew them or just swallow them (and i'm not sure that this is true!)

Haniska
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Beware of MANGO MOUTH!!:eek:
http://http://www.bikevieques.com/blog/2006/07/mango-mouth-season-is-here-again_01.html

And no, I am not talking about the strings you get in your teeth. You can get a rash.

boombalada
Aug 8th, 2006, 07:02 AM
I'm not sure if eating apple seeds is such a good idea, i've heard somewhere that pesticides used on apple trees collect in the seeds. Of course, it's not a problem if you're eating organic - and organic apples taste SO much better...

helen
Aug 8th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I remember reading that apple seeds contain cyanide, as do peach and apricot stones :eek:

I eat kiwi skins but have never heard of mango skins being eaten until now!