PDA

View Full Version : two recipes i found for vegan meat balls, and vegan meatloaf!

foxytina_69
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:50 AM
i made these "meatballs" tonight and they were fabulous! i also figured out the nutrition of them and one meat ball is only 37 calories and 4 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber! wow!

http://crueltyfreeshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_18_23&products_id=131

i added marjoram, thyme, garlic powder instead of raw garlic, and nutritional yeast aswell. (i didnt have tomato juice either so i just mixed tomato sauce and water for the tomato juice it called for) but one thing i would change is cut back on the salt. it calls for 1 tsp of salt, i would have used only a couple dashes or half a tsp instead.

im going to make the "meatloaf" this week sometime. ill post about how it is! (ive been craving for a long time a vegan loaf like this that tastes like my moms old meatloaf. im very excited to try it.)

ive just discovered textured soy protein and how great it is, how much nutrition it has (ive been on the search for lots of different vegan proteins that are really high in protein but not too high in calories) and ive been making lots of stuff with it. hence why i found this recipe for the balls and loaf.

absentmindedfan
Aug 8th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Great! Thanks :)

foxytina_69
Aug 10th, 2006, 05:25 AM
i made the meatloaf tonight. it was great. tasted pretty much the same as the meatballs. i added chopped celery and peas aswell as onions to it. (and also extra spices, ketchup, liquid smoke, nutritional yeast and a bit of tamari) i made a glaze for the top by mixing together ketchup and brown sugar. i covered it with tinfoil for the first half hour, then took off the cover for the last 15 minutes.

it was delish with fried onions and gravy!

i would use a smaller loaf pan next time rather than a large one, so the slices are tall rather than thin and wide.

meggymaggoo
Aug 10th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks Foxytina :) those recipes look great! Do you mind if I post the link elsewhere?

:)

cedarblue
Aug 10th, 2006, 02:52 PM
i am going to try these thanks foxy. im running out of ideas for acceptable dinners to make for the child using veggie mince, she loves it - at the moment its chilli & cornish pasties.

foxytina_69
Aug 10th, 2006, 05:01 PM
ofcourse not meggy. its not my link!! :)

claireyveg
Sep 26th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Made this for my family tonight- the meatloaf that is, and it was a hit! yay, the first fully vegan meal i've cooked for my whole family, my carnivour sister even ate half a peice and said it was "alright" :) which is a compliment from her, consdiering her diet consists of cereal and meat... yes i worry about her, but my very hesitant and worrying parents said it was good and very meaty! yay

foxytina_69
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:19 PM
im glad your family and you liked it claire :)

claireyveg
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:10 PM
so am i, thankyou very much foxtina! i had leftovers on a sandwich with ketchup the next day and it was sooo good i am considering making another one very soon just for that purpose, why is it that some things just taste better the next day, cold? lol :D

jamboxrock
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Awesome! I've been looking for a good meatloaf recipe, so I will definitely try this one soon. Does it "loaf"? The two recipes I've tried tasted really good, but didn't stay in slices, they kind of fell apart.

claireyveg
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:18 AM
yeh it kept its shape pretty well, just make sure you oil the pan enough and also when you take it out of the oven make sure you leave it for a good 10 mins or so to kind of "set" it makes all the difference, just a hint- go for the end peice!! :)

Tigerlily
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:18 AM
I want to try the meat loaf. I never had "real" meat loaf so this will be interesting. Does anyone know if this will freeze well?

jamboxrock
Sep 30th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Ah, thanks for the tips. I'll try this soon. I never made real meatloaf, but my mom did when I was a kid and I really liked it.

pavotrouge
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:58 PM
thx a lot foxytina...I've been looking for something like this since I just re-discovered a minestrone recipe I used to love aaaaaages ago and was wondering how to substitute the meatballs ;)

I'm going to report how they did in the soup as soon as I've tried it.