PDA

View Full Version : Mini-questions and mini-answers about this forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

Gwydion
Feb 7th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Cool :) Thanks Korn.

Ladygold
Feb 21st, 2012, 09:12 PM
I have been trying to figure out exactly how the ignore list works. If someone has a link to a page explaining it that would be helpful.

Thank you

LG

Korn
Feb 22nd, 2012, 07:17 AM
I have been trying to figure out exactly how the ignore list works. If someone has a link to a page explaining it that would be helpful.

Thank you

LG
Marking someone as 'ignored' means that their posts will be hidden from view when you are logged in.

Ladygold
Feb 22nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
So they are still able to see what I post and comment but I just cannot see it right?

LG

veganwitch
Feb 22nd, 2012, 11:43 PM
Just wondering if the "add a signature" feature is gone for good? FWIW I liked it :)

Risker
Feb 23rd, 2012, 12:12 AM
^ I didn't even notice it had gone but I liked it too, much better to have signatures clearly separated from posts where you can skip over them than having to read the same thing repeatedly because people add them manually.

So they are still able to see what I post and comment but I just cannot see it right?

LG

Easiest if you just try it. It's not very good to be honest because you'll still see that a person has posted, just not what they have posted and they can still read and reply to everything you've posted. Also, other people can quote them and you'll be able to read that. Sorry there's not a better way of getting away from my posts :D.

Ladygold
Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:21 AM
Easiest if you just try it. It's not very good to be honest because you'll still see that a person has posted, just not what they have posted and they can still read and reply to everything you've posted. Also, other people can quote them and you'll be able to read that. Sorry there's not a better way of getting away from my posts :D.

lol not trying to get away from your posts....thanks for the info, I was just curious about how it works on here.

LG

Korn
Feb 28th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Hello. I can't post and i'm not sure why. I've registered and confirmed it on my email address but can't post.

Hi,

this is a site for vegans, and you use honey.

Here is one of our threads about honey:
Why don't vegans use honey? (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?18347-Why-don-t-vegans-use-honey)
Non-vegans can't post in the main areas, and can't post unmoderated.

Firestorm
May 26th, 2012, 02:40 PM
On the main forum page there used to be a list of recent posts, will it be coming back? I've noticed it vanishes sometimes and then comes back a few days later but I find the forum is much quieter without it .

FaerieSuzy
May 27th, 2012, 06:58 PM
On the main forum page there used to be a list of recent posts, will it be coming back? I've noticed it vanishes sometimes and then comes back a few days later but I find the forum is much quieter without it .

I second this, I noticed it had gone and I really quite liked it

Blueberries
May 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM
@ Firestorm & FaerieSuzy- I agree. I usually check the forum runner app as it displays the most recently active threads but I like using the full version of the forum to view photos and multi-quote and I like the recent post list.

Korn
May 29th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Hi, I think the sidebar with recent posts has it's pros and cons. If it's not enabled, I think people will spend more time on browsing through the actual forums. I also think that the sidebar can be sort of... misleading, especially when one poster has posted a handful or two of posts in a row, because unlike Today's Posts (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/search.php?do=getdaily&contenttype=vBForum_Post) and New Posts (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post), the sidebar shows very few posts, which in some cases gives the impression that there's only one or a couple of people who have posted recently.

There's a new version of the vBulletin software available, with a new (and better? worse?) solution for showing recent activities. I'll get back to that soon. But the actual reason I disabled the sidebar, was that some posts - when seen isolated, and with only the first sentence visible in the sidebar, may appear as rather... rude.

Here are some of the sentences I saw in the sidebar shortly before I disabled it:
"God you think you're so clever."
"They look rubbish. Ewww, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, mate."
"No I wasn't criticising you"
"Good, that should make up for annoying you the other day."
"Muahahaha. I see you're not denying anything."
"What a load of shit."

Seen isolated as excerpts from longer messages, messages of this kind easily give the impression that our threads have a rather level of conflict/negativity. Admittedly, these are all from a person it's sometimes hard to understand whether they are joking/serious etc, but nevertheless - short excepts like that do't work well in the Recent Posts sidebar.

Anyway - stay tuned. Let's see what the new upgrade will bring. And don't forget that there are two other New Posts-solutions which still are active (and that most forums actually don't have the kind of sidebar we usually have!). :-)

Lentils
May 29th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I missed it at first but I do agree that quick links -> today's posts is much better, perhaps add it as a one click option? :p

Firestorm
May 29th, 2012, 06:53 PM
OK. Thanks for the info Korn :-)

Korn
May 31st, 2012, 04:44 PM
The sidebar is back now, and there's a new feature as well; an updated "What's New" function:
http://www.veganforum.com/forums/activity.php
This new Activity Stream page will indicate (but not show the full message) when a new post is made, and will check for new posts once a minute. If you don't click on the notification about new posts, the auto-notification will stop after 5 messages.

And - just like with the other new/today's post features: if you are logged in, you'll see new posts from the non-public sections as well - plus the subforums you subscribe to.

Blueberries
May 31st, 2012, 10:34 PM
Does anyone know what happened to the chit-chat section? I can't find it :(

Risker
May 31st, 2012, 10:37 PM
It's there, under the heading 'Member forum'

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?53-%E2%80%A2-Chit-Chat

Korn
Jun 17th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Why were most of the sections only available to registered users yesterday?

The reason is that we had an overload situation on the server. When this happens, I adjust the forum permissions so only those who really want access (read: those who register!) have access to the forum.

I also adjusted some other permission settings – eg. for members who are not vegans yet - and those who recently have gone vegan. For some reason – and that the reason was probably an error on my side! – some user groups didn't have all the permissions set correctly.

Unfortunately, this affected also some of the 49 new members who registered yesterday. There may still be room for improvement, so please let me know if you have any suggestions, or think that you don't have the permissions/access you should have!

Korn
Sep 14th, 2012, 07:38 AM
My husband tried to register in this forum a couple of days after I did. He got an activation email where he clicked on the confirmation link but it wouldnt let him log in. He tried to log in a few times every day but it still doesnt work.

Is it maybe because we share the same IP adress, since we live together and use the same internet?

Hi,
the idea behind the questions is about users sharing some info about themselves. He didn't post any location info (which is required - he just posted "God's waiting room"), and one of the other fields weren't really responded to either.

Korn
Oct 26th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I'm getting an 'invalid user' message when I tried to activate...

Well, if someone just fills in fake info (like eg. Interests: ipuy3383aiusydiuyisuasd6auisdy) in the registration process, the account is deleted without any notice. But we haven't had any registrations from anyone with the email you posted from, or any users with the name you signed with, so I need more info to help you out.

Marrers
Dec 4th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I'm getting this message whenever I try to post, despite my original post being long enough:-

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

When I click to post something sometimes it also says this before the 'message is too short' page comes up.

Are you sure you want to leave this page?
Changes made in the editor will be lost.

I've tried a couple of threads but I can't seem to post photos or edit my posts - but for some reason this thread I can! I've tried logging out and back in but the problem persists. Is it just a temporary glitch for me or a general problem?

(I have managed to post on one thread although it did not run as smoothly as normal but I have been able to post and edit in this thread as normal.)

Risker
Dec 26th, 2012, 04:42 PM
What's this "- - - Updated - - -" thing that appears in some posts? When I edit mine I get the "Last edited by" text like Marrers' post above.

CoolCat
Dec 26th, 2012, 08:37 PM
What's this "- - - Updated - - -" thing that appears in some posts? When I edit mine I get the "Last edited by" text like Marrers' post above.

If you comment in the same thread in short succession when none else commented in between your second post gets appended to your first, and the two posts separated with that updated line.

Risker
Dec 26th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Ah, thanks :)

Korn
Feb 5th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Hi,

I am having trouble registering on the vegan forum site. A message tells me to use "contact us" link but I can't see this. My partner registered a couple of days ago and I got this email address from him.

I'd love to register and looking for advice.

Kind regards,

Hi!
What exactly do you want help with in terms of the registration process? It's not easy to help you until I know exactly what kind of trouble you have. :-)
The Contact Us link is at the bottom of the main page (veganforum.com).