PDA

View Full Version : Mini-questions and mini-answers about this forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Korn
Aug 11th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Q: Why are registering sometimes disabled?

A: Either because we are in the middle of changing the forum structure, or because we are attacked by 'trolls'. (Registering is enabled again now).

More short questions?

cedarblue
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:56 PM
korn, can you clarify what 'not a member of any public group' means in our member profiles?
thank you kindly :)

Korn
Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:19 PM
Sure! It means that the member you are looking at hasn't joined any of the so called 'User Groups', found under Group Membership in the User Control Panel.

Maisiepaisie
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Sorry I posted in the wrong thread about this before. I've worked out how to turn off my email notifications but I'm still getting them. What's happening? Someone help me, theres loads of them :eek:

Korn
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:37 PM
This seem to be a bug in the software, so I'll try to turn them off for you. Let me know if that helps.

Another solution would be to manually unsubscribe from each of the threads that you subscribed to before email notifications were deactivated.

Maisiepaisie
Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks Korn :)

lvhockhart
Aug 25th, 2006, 02:24 AM
What are 'trolls' (in reference to the forum)? I've heard the term before, but I can't remember exactly what that means.

Korn
Aug 25th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Here are some definitions:

'Internet troll, a person who is deliberately inflammatory on the Internet in order to provoke a vehement response from other users.'
'An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.'
'As a verb, the practice of trying to lure other Internet users into sending responses to carefully-designed incorrect statements or similar "bait."'

'An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.'

Some people have small invisible trolls living inside them without noticing it... :)

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:28 AM
How many moderators do this site have?

Four (including me), + 2-3 who are not currently active.

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I posted, but my comments disappeared immediately - why? New/not-yet-approved members (and a few other members who for some reason are on 'Delayed Posts') will see this happen, because the message is autmatically put into the moderation queue by the software. All messages will be approved manually until a user is approved for normal posting (unless they are spammers/trolls...).

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:36 AM
I don't like this site or how you guys run it, and would like to discuss this in detail with you - is that OK? That could have been interesting, and we have done that in the past eg. if member has been banned. Luckily this almost never happens, but still: we do this work, unpaid (we actually pay for doing it), and rather want to focus on the members who like it here. But of course, suggestions about positive changes are always welcome. We can always improve.

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Does mods/admins read private messages of other users? Of course not - that would be both unethical and illegal.

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:41 AM
What are 'infractions'? It's a feature found in the last three versions of the vBulletin software - a warning system which main purpose is to be a simple way to help people not to get banned, by informing them in a 'semi-automatic' way about our rules if they have been breaking them. More here (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11653&highlight=infraction)...

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Do you consider this an Animal Rights-forum? We consider this a vegan forum, and as vegans we think animals should have the same rights to a happy life as humans have. Vegan activism isn't the same as AR activism, even if they have a lot in common. Vegan activists often go further than some AR activists do, in that they don't see animal welfare campaigning as 'good enough'. Vegans don't limit the ethics around killing animals to 'suffering vs. non-suffering', but some people interested in involved in the AR movement do - so I'll consider this a vegan forum, not an AR forum - as the name suggests... :)

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Why do you require that people enter their birthdate when they register? We do it only because we'd like to know if children/minors are registering, because they have limited access to this site. We may change that in the future, and replace it with a dialog box asking if you are older than 13/18 years. The current system is the built-in solution, which means that we are 'COPPA'-compatible by using it.

Edit: The birth-date requirement has been replaced by a dialog box asking which age group people belong to (13+, 18+).

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Can I leave the forum anytime I want? Of course - just stop using it! :)

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Will all the posts of a user automatically be deleted if an account is deleted? No, so deleting an account actually have no function, which is why we don't do it. Even if would delete an account, all the posts would still be there with the user name next to each post. Also, remember that deleting a lot of posts inside a thread probably would make that thread more or less unreadable/confusing, and we don't want unreadable threads! :)

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Can I use any email account I want when I register? Yes, but using an AOL-account may not be a good idea, since people who register using an AOL-address often complain about not receiving activation codes.

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Do you sell or give away email addresses? No, and we'll never do that. Even if the site should be taken over by someone else in the future, we'd require that they won't do it either.

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I have some ideas re. how I think the site could improve - where can I post these? Try the 'Forum Info'-subforum, maybe? The forum has gone through major changes since it was created in August 2003, and many of these changes are results of feedback from our users.

cedarblue
Nov 14th, 2006, 06:46 PM
when i want to put a link to another thread up and i press the 'insert link' button i just get asked to give the url address; i used to be asked also what word or phrase i wanted the link to appear on the post as - does that make sense??

anyone??

Korn
Nov 14th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Hi,
Here's how I do it: First enter the word or phrase (eg: Protein).
Then select that word/phrase.
Now click on the insert Link-icon.
Enter (copy/paste) the URL there (eg: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3696)
Result: Protein (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3696&highlight=protein)
Hope this helps...

Mr Flibble
Nov 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM
If you're a fast typer and not a fan of rodents then just type:

<url=http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3696>protein</url>

with [ in the place of < and ] in the place of >. This and other tips can be found here (http://veganforum.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode).

Poison Ivy
Nov 16th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I've been trying to upload a signature (85 characters - inc. spaces, takes up 1 and a 1/2 lines in the 'edit signature' box), yet I can't do it because I get an error saying it has to be two lines or less in length!! It appears to be so, yet still won't work, any ideas why??:confused:

Korn
Nov 16th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I believe that an automatic line break is inserted after 40 characters....