PDA

View Full Version : what do you do from RICE ?

basteq
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:23 PM
my favourite is :
- rice with toasted sunflower seeds (http://vegweb.com/food/rice/3226.shtml)

wuggy
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:31 PM
A nest of brown rice, topped with lightly stir-fried vegetables, topped with a few nuts.

SilverBird
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:32 PM
These three recipes use white rice - no apologies made. We really aren't too keen on brown rice but do have lots of fibre in our diets from other sources.

Rice Salad
Cook rice with 2 or 3 peppers cut into about 1" pieces - use red and green for best colour contrast. Don't add salt to the water as some of the seasonings are salty enough. When cooked, strain everything into a colander and then allow it to cool for a while. Then I usually spread it out on a clean tea towel, add some well-drained tinned sweetcorn and season with black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic granules, celery salt, dried parsley (try to find one that's not too finely shredded) to taste. Now add dry roasted peanuts (someone told me that the "spice extracts and flavourings" in dry roasted peanuts can contain whey powder - perhaps someone can enlighten us all on this?). If you don't fancy the dry roasted peanuts then use cashews and/or walnuts. Mix everything together well, taste as you go and adjust seasonings accordingly. Now carefully transfer it into a large bowl. It keeps well in the fridge for 2 or 3 days if you use the dry roast peanuts, otherwise don't add other sorts of nut until you're ready to eat. Great as part of a packed lunch or picnic, is always popular as part of a buffet meal and also goes well with a hot curry or chilli.

Vegetable Rice
Peel a couple of onions and then chop them. Cook gently in a large saute pan with a (preferably see through) lid with some olive oil and a teaspoonful of dairy-free spread. Don't let the onions brown. When they're softish, add as much finely chopped garlic as you fancy. Now add a generous beakerful of rice and stir everything together. Cook gently for another minute and then add some peppers cut into large or small pieces depending on your preference, mushrooms (leave whole if small or cut into quarters if large - chestnut mushrooms work well in this recipe), carrots (blanch first to reduce their cooking time or use leftovers added towards the end of the cooking), green beans and garden peas (frozen ones work fine), tinned sweetcorn (add towards the end of the cooking), fresh chillies to taste, a tin of chopped tomatoes, some tomato puree, a teaspoon of sugar, a good grating of black pepper, a veggie stock cube or some Marigold stock powder. You can add fresh tomatoes, skin them or not depending on your preference - great when you've a surplus from the garden. Use two tins of tomatoes if you like. Add boiling water as required and check on this from time to time. If you have some broccoli then put this on the top so that it steams and doesn't get too soft. When the rice is tender turn off the heat and let it stand for five or ten minutes. If you have some red wine then you can add a glassful as part of the additional liquid. You can add some cooked red kidney beans and some Vegemince. This is one of those recipes that you make up as you go along, depending on what's in the fridge or freezer.

Lemon Rice
Rinse some Basmati Rice thoroughly and then put this into a pan with a lid. I use a saute type pan that has a glass lid so that I can keep a watch on the cooking progress without having to remove the lid. If the lid becomes steamy making it difficult to see what's going on, just tilt the pan a little and a clear place will appear on the lid. The theory is twice as much water by volume as the rice. I add just a little more than this for good luck - it all depends on the brand of rice you're using - you'll know how the brands of rice you're able to buy behave themselves. Add a little salt, a teaspoon of dairy-free spread and a whole lemon, cut into wedges. Try to use an unwaxed lemon, otherwise give it a good wash first. Remove as many pips as you can see. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat. Cook gently until the water is absorbed - the rice is usually tender by then. When the water has been absorbed and the rice looks nice and fluffy, remove the pan from the heat and leave to stand for five or ten minutes. A glass lidded pan is a good investment if you don't already have one. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving. Serve the lemon rice with curry. Remove the lemon if you wish or eat it if you like cooked lemons. Any leftovers keep well in a covered dish in the fridge. Eat cold or reheat as you prefer.

webster
Sep 18th, 2004, 04:13 PM
(someone told me that the "spice extracts and flavourings" in dry roasted peanuts can contain whey powder - perhaps someone can enlighten us all on this?)

Sainsbury's dry roasted peanuts contain milk, but Tesco dry roasted peanuts are happily vegan.

Mystic
Sep 18th, 2004, 11:16 PM
brown rice and dhal, or stir fried veggies, or curry....

Artichoke47
Sep 18th, 2004, 11:59 PM
I make vegetable, rice, and bean burritos!

SilverBird
Sep 19th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Sainsbury's dry roasted peanuts contain milk, but Tesco dry roasted peanuts are happily vegan.

Thanks for the info.