PDA

View Full Version : Which shop bought vegan burgers are best for a barbecue?

Emam
Aug 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Hello. My sister is having a barbecue for her child's birthday shortly and I was wondering which shop bought burgers are best for use on a barbecue? I have made burgers at home myself but they don't turn out well :( I really want to show the omnivores that vegans can have burgers etc. as well. I saw a brand of burgers called Frys at my local health food shop, has anyone tried those? Also, has anyone ever cooked veggie sausages on the barbecue and do they turn out ok? Thanks.

Mr Flibble
Aug 15th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Frys burgers are the best for BBQ. The Couldron Foods that are vegan friendly can be BBQd, but aren't in my opinion very tastey. Beanies fall appart, as do most burgers that are just vegetables stcuk together and have breadcrumbs on the outside.

Frys sausages are also good for BBQ. The vegan friendly LM ones BBQ OK. The vegan friendly HB ones are OK. Biona work but tend to dry out a bit. There's some minging ones that come in slightly off yellow packs (frozen) in some health food shops that aren't very pleasent however you cook them!

The mixes you can get (sosmix etc) tend not to BBQ very well because they're too wet. If you're interested in getting a book that has tastey vegan recipes for burgers and sausages that can be cooked directly on a bbq grill then i can highly recomend not buying this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1897766556/202-7230928-4075048?v=glance&n=266239&s=gateway&v=glance). As it points out you can cook anything on a bbq if you put a baking sheet underneath, but then that makes it no different to normal cooking ;)

Lilac Hamster
Aug 15th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Fry's are gorgeous, I would certainly recommend them as the best brand we have ever tried,

Lesley

cedarblue
Aug 15th, 2006, 04:09 PM
yes frys are the best but in my experience can be a bit spicy for little kids.

Mr Flibble
Aug 15th, 2006, 04:14 PM
even the non spicy ones?

cedarblue
Aug 15th, 2006, 04:19 PM
i thought there was only one type? the only ones i seem to buy have been spicy...

there is another brand, i think its goodlife(?) which do nut cutlets which are nice on the bbq too.

Emam
Aug 15th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I will give the Frys ones a try I think. I hope my local health food shop still has them, it can be very hit and miss in regard to keeping things in stock. I can't remember if it was the spicy or non spicy ones I saw there. I might try the sausages in hot dog buns as well and marinate some veggies and do some kebabs. All the omnivores will only be eating beef burgers and probably chicken wings so I will probably have a better selection of grub than them :D

Cherry
Aug 15th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Agreed, frys are the best burgers and barbeque well. The spicy ones are good, but I think I like the plain ones best. You're right Cedarblue, Nut Cutlets work well on a barbeque too.

gertvegan
Aug 15th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Frys burgers are the best for BBQ..... Beanies fall appart....Beanie's Health Foods (http://www.beanieshealthfoods.co.uk/) are the folks that bring us the Frys range in the UK and Ireland but is the 'Beanies' burger the same thing or a different brand altogether, I'm confudled?

They have some new products coming out as well by the look of things. :)

Mr Flibble
Aug 15th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Ah, you assumed there was an apostrophe where there wasn't one. Beanies is my word for the plural of beany (http://www.beany.co.uk/index2.htm).

gertvegan
Aug 15th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks. It's good to hear Frys getting good reviews as I've got a freezer full from Beanie's Health Foods for the Bristol Vegans bbq in September. :D

Emam
Aug 15th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Hi Cherry, I really like your recipe website. I had been looking for a recipe for vegan soda bread so I will try out the one on your site as soon as I get the chance.

xwitchymagicx
Aug 16th, 2006, 12:02 AM
There's some minging ones that come in slightly off yellow packs (frozen) in some health food shops that aren't very pleasent however you cook them!

I think there the ones I have in my freezer! Probably are...even the picture doesn't look that nice.

I've never had a vegan BBQ so...

Tromaville
Aug 16th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Have to add to all those who said frys. They are pretty much the best burgers all round. The Beany burgers are horrible. Goodlife Nut cutlets are ok and can be bought fairly cheap from FarmFoods (or at least used to be there - haven't seen em there in ages) but would say the Nut cutlets are better done in oven than on BBQ. Most of the vegan sausages I've tried seem to do ok-ish on BBQs

But as virtually everyone else has said get some frys burgers, I personally prefer the spicy ones, but they are all great

Trom

Tigerlily
Aug 16th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I was going to suggest Sol spicy bean burgers or Yve's "chicken" burgers but I don't think they are available in Ireland.

aubergine
Aug 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks. It's good to hear Frys getting good reviews as I've got a freezer full from Beanie's Health Foods for the Bristol Vegans bbq in September. :D

*considers moving to Bristol* :D

Cumin
Aug 16th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Frys burgers are the best for BBQ. The Couldron Foods that are vegan friendly can be BBQd, but aren't in my opinion very tastey I really hate to disagree with the consensus :D, but I much prefer the Cauldron burgers (especially Chilli variety) to Fry's ones. I like the Fry's burgers, but they tend to be a bit dry for me, whereas the Cauldron ones are more juicy.
In fact, last time I had them - I got up late night afterwards to go and check the empty box to make sure they weren't actually meat ! This might put some of you off - but I don't mind it tasting like meat, as long as it isn't.

Pob
Aug 16th, 2006, 01:40 PM
A vote for fry's from me. They are juicy as long as you don't overcook them.

aubergine
Aug 17th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I eventually managed to try the spiced burgers last week. Wow. I thought the normal Fry's ones were good, but these are sublime.