newmayaml
Apr 25th, 2004, 09:47 PM
any recommendations? suggestions?
vegan-wise, i mean...
thanx,
me.

Roxy
Apr 25th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Hi I'm from Australia (but have been living in Canada for 2 years). What part of my beautiful country will you be moving to?

Roxy

tricia
Apr 25th, 2004, 11:24 PM
can you pack me up with your stuff pls... i wanna go....

newmayaml
Apr 26th, 2004, 04:40 PM
have no clue on where i'm moving...
i just got my permanent resident visa...
so where should i go??? :confused:

Roxy
Apr 26th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Well firstly, congratulations on your visa!

I am originally from Brisbane which is about halfway on the eastern coast, in the state of Queensland. Just north and south of Brisbane are the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast, so if you like the beaches, they are within a one hour drive. Moreton Bay, off Brisbane also has a few islands which you can go to for day or overnight trips or even for short vacation.

The city itself is made up of lots of leafy suburbs. I really miss the amount of trees, birds and nocturnal wildlife.

A little bit further inland there is lots of subtropical forest to go hiking or picnicing in. Also plenty of green, rolling hills to spend time in, exploring the small towns.

All in all, it's a laid back, tropical kind of city. I wasn't vegan when I lived there, but there are plenty of restaurants catering to vegetarians, and it has all the major supermarkets and plenty of health food stores to cater for a vegan lifestyle.

Let me know if I can help you out with any more info.

Roxy

newmayaml
Apr 27th, 2004, 10:17 PM
gee thanx roxy!
i'm so confused...
iv'e been to australia only once,
seen only a little and LOVED it so much!!!
i want to return to all those amazing places,
but then what about all the rest?
the brisbane area that you are describing sounds wonderfull...
i have to decide...
it will probably be sydney, though, at least at the beginning,
'cause it's the easiest place to find an IT job, for hubby.
well i'm gonna ask you a lot more after we make up our minds...
keep in touch
maya.

Roxy
Apr 28th, 2004, 05:48 AM
My brother lives in inner-city Sydney and it's a much more fast-paced lifestyle than Brisbane. He works in the television industry, so there is a lot more opportunity there for him than there is in Brisbane.

I've only visited Sydney a couple of times, but I really loved the novel diversity of the city itself. It's definately a big city with something for everyone! There always seems to be some sort of festival or event happening there.

Like the Brisbane area, Sydney also has lots of beaches and plenty of good weather for visits to those beaches. There is also plenty of National Parks and bushland in the Sydney area that is good for hiking.

About 65km outside of Sydney you can travel into the gorgeous Blue Mountains. There's a blue haze that hangs over the mountains which is a really fine mist given off by the oil from the eucalyptus trees. However, the air there is a lot fresher and cleaner than the smog of Sydney - so you might find it to be a good weekend getaway!

Sydney is more diverse (and a lot bigger) than Brisbane, so if you decide to move there I'm sure you'll find a vast array of vegan options available.

Roxy

elthia
May 1st, 2004, 01:10 AM
I'm just back from my second visit to Australia, and have been looking at relocating there myself. Here's some questions/thoughts for you:

* What does your husband do in the tech field? Depending on his background, there may be more than "just Sydney" for jobs. E.g., in Hobart TAS there are a few web content, PC support, etc companies.
* There are a few websites that provide job listings and placement services -- iirc there's jobs.com.au and the like. search for an Australian newspaper (e.g. Mercury in TAS) and you'll find links to the jobs databases and/or local listings.
* What are your other lifestyle requirements? "nice to have"s? I have v close friends mostly in TAS, but also have some in Sydney and Melbourne that I can query for info.
* My experience of the major grocery chains (Coles and Woolworths) on both mainland and in TAS:
- there tends to be an organic/"whole foods" section or aisle
- bakery products etc are well labelled
- lots of Asian food products are available (e.g., sweet chili sauce, tofu)
- soy milk and cheese are available, but not nearly to the degree of dairy-based products (no surprise there)
- some prepared foods are vegan-friendly, just require close scrutiny of labelling (e.g., i found some frozen potato wedges)
- read the food labels! in particular, I was surprised to find animal fats in products that are typically made with vegetable oils in the US
* "vegetarian" typically means "eggs and dairy" -- beware the "vegetarian" section of menus! most restaurant staff was knowledgable and helpful in finding something on their menu that I could eat

Please post any questions on this "brain dump!" :)

-elthia

Mystic
May 16th, 2004, 04:00 AM
:p

Hi! I am an Aussie vegan living in Australia -> Melbourne to be precise. Being vegan is relatively easy anywhere you go in Australia (provided you are not in some outback town with no shops!). All the major supermarkets stock vegan burgers and 'meats' like sausages and luncheon meats, beans, wholegrains, ice cream, milks, and yoghurt (although I reckon all the vegan yoghurts in Australia are absolutely repulsive). Most of the time vegan chocolate, or 'soychocolate' can be found in the health food section of the supermarket. Tahini and nut butters are easily accessible, and most breads, spaghetti sauces (tomato based) and breakfast cereals are vegan. If you go to www.vnv.org.au (http://www.vnv.org.au), it will provide an extensive list of vegetarian/vegan restaurants. food products and where to shop in Melbourne. It will be of much use to you if you choose to come to Melbourne.

eve
Jun 20th, 2004, 05:24 AM
hi newmayaml, and hope that you'll be happy with your move to Oz. I live in Queensland, about 4 hours north of Brisbane, and there's nowhere else I'd rather be - though Perth is lovely. I've been to Melbourne a couple of times, but it tends to be cold and wet there! I lived for a number of years in Sydney, and loved it until the last few years before coming to Qld. Sydney just got too expensive, too noisy, too unfriendly. Of course your choice is going to depend on so many different elements. Where I live there is no work to speak of so young people don't come here. But Brisbane itself is fine.
Good luck :)

Buzzola
Jun 20th, 2004, 12:53 PM
I'd recommend Melbourne. We have some fantastic vegan restaurants here ("Soul Mama" in particular)! It's also just a great place in general. It's not as fast-paced as Sydney, which I like (I can't handle being in Sydney). I think Melbourne just has a good balance between relaxed and uptight.

Also, Adelaide is probably the most beautiful capital city I've been to. I have no idea what it's like to be vegan in Adelaide but it's definately worth it.

And Banana: where do you find the luncheon meats? All I can find is Sanitarium stuff which "may contain traces of milk, eggs" :mad:

newmayaml
Jun 20th, 2004, 09:27 PM
hi all, and thanx for all your help.
after a lot of thinking, we decided to go for sydney first, just untill we'll get the hang of this new country...
wer'e moving somewhere around augost, so i hope to see you all there...
:D
thanks again,
maya.

Roxy
Jun 21st, 2004, 07:56 PM
Hi Eve - I am originally from Brisbane, but have been living in Vancouver, Canada for the past 2.5 years.

What town are you from if you don't mind me asking? I've done a lot of travel through QLD so have probably been there :)

Roxy

eve
Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM
Hi Roxy, I'm in Maryborough, and have been here for around 6 yrs now, having come from Sydney. Maryborough is a great little place, with friendly people, and a laid back lifestyle. But I still have friends in Sydney, so the email is well used, and occasionally I take the Tilt Train to Brisbane then fly down to Sydney for a visit. Whilst it is enjoyable to visit friends, I'm always glad to get back here!

Roxy
Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:47 AM
Hi Eve - yep I've passed through Maryborough a few times - the last time being about 6 years ago - on my way to North Queensland.

Roxy

adam antichrist
Jul 19th, 2004, 01:12 AM
I lived in Sydney for 5 years and it is a horrible place. There are a few vegan resteraunts, green gourmet in Newtown, another in Marrickville but the name escapes me...
Lots of animal welfare groups very active you can get involved with if you are so inclined. However, there are quieter towns just north and south of Sydney filled with people who commute to the city to work. For example Gosford is about 90 minutes by train North of Sydney and the housing is much cheaper, air is cleaner etc...
I went further still, to Newcastle, which has a great art and alternative music scene and is 2 hours drive from Sydney. I pay the same amount in rent for a 1 bedroom beachfront flat that I did to share a three bedroom house in the festy inner west of Sydney, and here I have breakfast in my front yard watching whales swim past.

Frank Lucas
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:13 AM
I'm in Lismore / regional city near Nimbin.First heard about Veganisum when saw a Vegan sign in Nimbin about 15 yrs ago. Whish i'd known about it like 30 yrs ago.
It really has changed my life / I find the world so better top live in. I suppose a lot of it may be (Not feeling Guilt) for killing creatures. Yet it still isn't easy.
Aloha

eve
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Hey Frank Lucas, I have a good friend in Nimbin - Sienna Blake, who is editor of thr Vegan Voice magazine. I'm webmaster for Vegan Voice on line, and whenever the next qtly issue is published, Sienna sends me extracts and news of the new mag, together with the cover pic, to put on the website. Take a look - http://veganic.net

You're fortunate to live down there. Cheers

newmayaml
Aug 21st, 2004, 05:11 AM
thanx guys for all of the support &advices. i just arrived yesterday, still looking for a flat to rent.
there is an urgent question i need to ask you: where can i find vegan shoes?
it's realy important 'cause hubby's got a job interview on monday, he needs to go dressed up (in israel he never wore a suit, in australia we were told it's a must) so we need to buy proper shoes. is there a store in sydney where we can buy them for him?
thanx a lot,
maya & hubby :)

Kooks
Aug 21st, 2004, 11:23 AM
Hey Maya,

I know that here in Melbourne there's the Vegan Wares shop - but I haven't heard about one in Sydney.

I'd go to shops and Paddy's Markets and check - sometimes you can find that some of the cheaper shoes at markets and some shops are vegan.

Welcome to Oz:-) I'm an Ex-Israeli too btw

Cloudy
Aug 21st, 2004, 01:37 PM
Hey Maya,

I know that here in Melbourne there's the Vegan Wares shop - but I haven't heard about one in Sydney.

Aye aye, a bit of good news:

"As of August 2004 we are evaluating the possibility of opening our own
store in Sydney. We are presently having discussions with a property
owner and are hopeful of a positive outcome"

( http://www.veganwares.com/sydney.htm )

newmayaml
Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:21 AM
:(
we had no choice...
the interview was today and hubby just had to buy a decent pair of shoes...
so thanks for all the help,
i'm going to contact veganware to make sure they sell some shoes here in sydney, so the next time we'll buy shoes they will definitely be vegan...

btw kooks, i guess ur the one from the banana republic aren't you?
i visit there sometime although i rarely write, but when i do i use the name "mayula matzhikula"... so hi!!!

Kooks
Aug 24th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Yeah, that's me:-)

If you'll come down to Melbourne I'll have heaps of tips for you - Melbourne is a great city to be vegan in! (And anyways, come on... Melbourne versus Sydney??? Melbourne rocks!!:-D)

Kooks

adam antichrist
Aug 24th, 2004, 03:01 PM
thanx guys for all of the support &advices. i just arrived yesterday, still looking for a flat to rent.
there is an urgent question i need to ask you: where can i find vegan shoes?
it's realy important 'cause hubby's got a job interview on monday, he needs to go dressed up (in israel he never wore a suit, in australia we were told it's a must) so we need to buy proper shoes. is there a store in sydney where we can buy them for him?
thanx a lot,
maya & hubby :)
Sizeable shoes in Bronte used to stock a few samples of vegan wares items... not sure if they still do. The vegan wares website had info on it... address and phone number etc.
I got some vegan shoes from kmart last week (for $20) but I'm not sure they have any suitable for job interview

newmayaml
Aug 30th, 2004, 05:36 AM
we r still looking for a job,
and we won't stay in sydney for long that's for sure, kooks!
so what is the vegan place in sydney to go to?