PDA

View Full Version : Cookbook recommendations for new vegans

Pages : [1] 2

Piglet
Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
Hi

I am looking for some books to help me with my lifestyle change to Vegan. I am a very very new Vegan - this is day 2 and so any help would be great. I watched Meet your Meat and it had such an effect on me I knew vegan was the only way forward for me, but am finding it all a bit of a minefield as to what I can have/eat etc.

I have purchased Becoming Vegan and an Animal Free shopper guide and am looking for a couple of good cookery books for everyday meals for myself.

Thank you for your help

Piglet

paulvegan
Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
i use the Internet for most my recipes, try vegan village they have some wonderful links.on there.

good luck

fiamma
Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
Hi Piglet and welcome!
Congrats on your choice to go vegan :) I'm so happy for you. As you're from the UK, I'd recommend Rose Elliot's "Vegan Feasts". She makes simple recipes using basic, easy-to-get hold of ingredients, and many of the dishes are very quick to make. I've had it for years and it's falling apart! My vegan cookery "bible"! Another good one is "Cook Vegan" by Richard Youngs - as well as basic recipes he also includes some more unusual ones. And Sarah Kramer's books are good too. All the best on your culinary voyage :)

flutterby
Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:33 AM
am looking for a couple of good cookery books for everyday meals for myself.Have a look at the Vegan Cookbooks (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2417) thread Piglet. ;)

Piglet
Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Thank you for the recommendations.

I am definately going to order a few books and How it all Vegan plus The Accidental Vegan are top of my list so far.

Rose Elliott always produces good books too so I will now add Vegan Feasts to my list

I have been spending hours searching the internet and have found some great and informative web sites with recipes and tips. This really is such a great journey I have begun - I wish I had started it 20 years ago.

absentmindedfan
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:06 AM
The Food Revolution by John Robbins and The China Study by T. Colin Campbell explain the health, ethical and environmental issues that mean veganism is a necessity for anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together. They'll also give you plenty of information and factual backing for your lifestyle which can be handy when omnis decide to kick up a stink (which sadly happens from time to time)
Anything by Sarah Kramer is fab, as is 'Vegan with a Vengeance' and 'Vegan Planet' is great too.

Kevster
Dec 7th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Haha, the new book about animal rights from The Internationalist.

http://shop.newint.org/uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=421

Soul Rebel
Dec 7th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I've recently read:

Diet for a New America
The Food Revolution
Healthy At 100
Becoming Vegan

I have The China Study on hold at the library and need to pick it up.

PainterLady
Dec 7th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Most definitely "Vegan Vittles".

RebeccaDye
Aug 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I'm Vegetarian but becoming Vegan within the next few days but, seeing as I'm 14 and know no Vegans to help me or give advice, I'm in need of a handbook. I'm afraid that if I try and do this myself I'll just replace eggs, cheese, milk etc. with the soy versions which is boring and probably won't result in me getting the best out of being a Vegan.

Preferably something with a list of what I can eat and in what sort of quantities to have a balanced diet. Maybe some recipes too!

Does anyone have any recommendations?

twinkle
Aug 6th, 2007, 01:00 PM
First of all, good luck and welcome. I'm afraid I don't know of a handbook as such, but most vegan recipe books have sections on different food choices and nutrition, I would go to a large bookshop or amazon and see what you like the look of.

There's also a huge amount of information on here, and if you have any particular questions there are loads of people who will be happy to answer them :)

Marrers
Aug 6th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Viva! do a starter pack which includes The L-Plate Vegan booklet.
http://www.viva.org.uk/starterpacks/index.html#

You could also try to get someone to give a talk at your school.

There is also some info here:- http://www.viva.org.uk/guides/l-plate/vegan/index.htm and http://www.t3v.makessense.co.uk/articles/13.html but try doing some internet searching yourself.

RebeccaDye
Aug 6th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Thank you!!

cobweb
Aug 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM
'Living without Cruelty' by Mark Gold is a good one.

sweetveg
Sep 7th, 2011, 04:52 AM
hello everyone! i have been looking for vegan cookbooks day and night. and specifically i am looking for a vegan cookbook with healthy vegan food - i am looking for two cookbooks actually - one for cooking breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack recipes and another one for baking! (although if there is a book with both, even better!) specifically i am trying to drop the last five pounds and keep it there by maintaining a healthy eating lifestyle!

specifically i am looking for an everyday cookbook with simple low-calorie meals (400 cals and under) with not too much sugar. (and take less than 30 minutes to make with not too many ingredients) i am looking for very simple recipes and meals - less than ten ingredients would be great! (i am not opposed to using ener-g replacer/applesauce or nutritional yeast or other replacements)

for the dessert/baking cookbook, i am looking for low-cal sweet treats (200 cals per serving and under) that are healthy with not too much sugar. (easy to make would be awesome too - nothing too complicated please - i don't mind making my own frosting/home-made batter, but i am not interested in making fancy ganache or a cake with several layers!) i want to make good delicious healthy low-cal cookies, cupcakes and muffins and other delectable baked goods.

eg. a delicious vanilla cupcake -150 cals per cupcake.

if you have any insight on what cookbooks you would recommend, i would really appreciate it. :lol: i am following a couple vegan blogs though and would love recommendations for blogs as well! :)

i know there are lots of vegan cookbooks out there but i am hoping there is one that won't break the calorie bank and posts nutritional content!

PS i am a college student - which means i have very little patience to make food with lots of expensive obscure ingredients... :)

fondducoeur
Sep 7th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Appetite for Reduction- Isa Chandra Moskawitz would be my top recommendation.
I would also suggest 30 Minute Vegan- Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray.

I use both regularly. Appetite for Reduction is geared toward being a lower calorie cookbook, but 30 Minute Vegan definitely tends towards the lighter side when compared to other cookbooks (although it still has items such as enchiladas and nachos). Both contain many easy to prepare meals.

maggielassie
Sep 10th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Simply Vegan by Debra Wasserman; it's on Amazon. It's a great simple recipe book. There's also a section on nutrition in it...

sweetveg
Sep 11th, 2011, 03:42 PM
thank you so much everyone - i decided to purchase the happy herbivore and have requested to put apetite for reduction and simply vegan on hold at my local library! :) (currently they are checked out - and happy herbivore is not available at the library)

Firestorm
Sep 11th, 2011, 04:09 PM
^^ I just got Happy Herbivore as well. It looks good

TXvegan
Sep 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I like "Vegan on the Cheap" and another one that name is lost to me now, but it's got Eastern dishes - Indian, Thai, etc...

Sidhariel
Sep 21st, 2011, 03:21 PM
Oops.. I didn't read the OP correctly.. Post can be removed :P

Kim22
Sep 22nd, 2011, 02:16 AM
I highly recommend the happy herbivore

Bailey
Feb 9th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Hi guys
I'm just starting out with cooking vegan meals, and I was wondering could anyone recommend a great vegan cookbook? I don't have much time or energy when I get home so quick and easy recipes would be great, that don't need too many (unusual) ingredients. Also, there are so many good books out there but most seem American and I'm fed up with having to convert everything from 'cups'! Does anyone know of any good British books?
thanks!

Blueberries
Feb 9th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Heya Bailey, I understand what you mean about American cookbooks. There are a couple of UK cookbooks such as 'Another Dinner is Possible', and there are a few UK recipe sites I use, Animal Crackers recipes and Parsley Soup (type them into Google, I can't remember if they're .com or .co.uk). I'm sure some UK forumers can add to the list. :D

veganosie
Feb 9th, 2012, 11:51 AM
appetite for reduction! lots of cheap, easy, filling and healthy meals in there. no desserts though unfortunately :(