PDA

View Full Version : The death of intimacy?

Kevster
Sep 19th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Here's what Martin Jacques says....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1307401,00.html

wuggy
Sep 19th, 2004, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't know about intimacy, too busy talking to my 'friends' on the computer!! :D

catmogg
Aug 30th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Very interesting..

if there is one thing we can be sure of it is that there will be neither permenance nor security in a world dedicated to accelerating and uncontrollable change, to which there is to be never again any alternative. Needs created by continuous and dispossessing change are immediately answered by the system which has called them into being...

Jeremy Seabrook

The capitalist system has a insidiously Orwellian necessity to eradicate the weave of history and make sure a certain interpretation of reality is maintained. Any other possibility is shown to be unworkable and a threat to our well being...

Hanif Kureshi

eve
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:30 PM
catmogg, do you ever post any thoughts of your own? Jeremy Seabrook (whoever he is) needs to upgrade his grammar if he is supposed to be quotable! Gee, wish I knew what he and Hanif are on about. I don't mind admitting to ignorance :)

catmogg
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:38 PM
Jeez, was that necessary (:o ), did i really deserve that? I just typed them out real quick and they were in relation to the material we were directed to by Kev...which i found interesting. :(

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:49 PM
Very interesting..

if there is one thing we can be sure of it is that there will be neither permenance nor security in a world dedicated to accelerating and uncontrollable change, to which there is to be never again any alternative. Needs created by continuous and dispossessing change are immediately answered by the system which has called them into being...

Jeremy Seabrook

Yes! I agree! A mass depersonalization of sorts has taken place in our society. With everything constantly changing and a new product or explaination ready to "answer" said change, we are really in a state of chaos! Is it progress or esxcess? By making things more "simple" (read: quick, as in the fast-food mentality syndrome) we create a need for more advanced technology and products, training and the like, making old ways outdated before all are even aware that the original thing/idea even exists! Human interaction (intimacy) is being taken out of the mix!

catmogg
Aug 31st, 2005, 04:29 PM
It seems to me that there's just so much rubbish in our lives, in the world and it stops us from knowing the good in our hearts, knowing that there's something important there, its squashing the human spirit. Thats my way of putting it.

DianeVegan
Aug 31st, 2005, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the link, Kevster, and the rest of you for your thoughts. Working less, consuming less and subsequently spending more time with my spouse has been the best decision I've made. I can survive on less and will never work more just to purchase unnecessary (luxury) items again.

My sister has taken off from work to raise her children. We thought she was being ________ (fill in the blank - nuts, selfish, crazy, stupid, ridiculous) for not working so that her children would "have more." Now I can see that she's given her children the best gift she could - herself. She hasn't purchased new clothes, a new purse, new ANYTHING in years because of this choice. But she has something that she could never buy - time, opportunity and memories with her family. Hopefully, her children will grow up to have the same priorities as their parents instead of the priorities of a consumerism-driven society.

eve
Sep 1st, 2005, 12:21 PM
What you say is so true, Dianecrna. Sharing time with the children is the best thing of all. So many people imo, just 'want' - want a new car, want a bigger house, want more money, want a baby, a husband, another baby, another car, a bigger bank account, etc etc etc. The funny thing is, that when they buy the new car, that's not the end of their wanting, because now they want to fit it out with dvd etc, then when all is done with the car, they want a new fridge. As the buddha pointed out, 'wanting' is the cause of dissatisfaction, because it never ends. And we always want what we don't have.

But by your sister's decision, she has given up a whole heap of wantings! Of course I'm much older than she is, as she has children to raise, but I've found over the years that living a simple life, getting by without buying new things, and so on, makes for a much more satisfactory life than those I see around me, where people are never satisfied even though they have so much.

Thank you for sharing that. :)

DianeVegan
Sep 1st, 2005, 11:54 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Eve. I am not much older than my sister and have been much more "successful" than her financially but I look up to her in many ways. I have owned many things that are beautiful but take the most satisfaction from gardening, taking walks, canning and preserving, cooking, spending time with family and friends. Dropping out of the rat race that is around me has opened me up to what life should be about, finally. I feel like I have so many lost years of youth because I chased a dream that wasn't real. One of the great things about this forum is that there are so many people like yourself who have found out what life is truly about. :)