PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite way to prepare tofu?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

lvhockhart
Aug 25th, 2006, 12:39 AM
I'm getting tired of just adding it to stir-fry. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks bunches!:D

Tigerlily
Aug 25th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Breaded and deep fried.

lvhockhart
Aug 25th, 2006, 01:45 AM
I like fried tofu. A couple of questions, though. What kind of breading do you use and how do you make it stick to the tofu? Also, how long do you fry it?

Tigerlily
Aug 25th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I make a mixture out of flour, egg replacer powder (to equal one egg), and some water. I don't know how long I fry it for (I never time it) but I fry until it's golden brown.

my3labs
Aug 25th, 2006, 05:49 AM
This is my favorite way to make tofu:
http://www.house-foods.com/yummy_recipes/recipe_pages/steak_onion_gratin.html
(of course, use veggie stock instead of chicken stock, and soy cheese instead of swiss)
I also make "Chicken Fried Steak" with tofu that's been frozen.

Wildflower
Aug 25th, 2006, 06:07 AM
My favorite way is to scramble it with veggies for breakfast. I use silken tofu for this. First I sautee some onions, mushrooms and garlic, then I add the drained tofu, crumble it and mix in a pinch of cumin and tumeric (you can also add the spices to a bit of soymilk, and pour that in so it is extra creamy). I mix it all around with the veggies than add other veg later depending on the time needed to cook it. Generally, i add brocolli, red pepper, spinach, carrots and canned no-salt diced tomatoes. these just need to be heated gently, and should be added close to the end.

My second favorite (for non-silken) is to slice it plain, and eat it in a sandwich with some basil leaves and tomato slices. it is also good with olive spread.

I have tried freezing, thawing, stirfrying, etc as well, but usually i just eat it as is, or heat it gently and stir it into soup/noodle dishes.

fiamma
Aug 25th, 2006, 07:39 AM
sometimes I just eat it cold, with soy sauce and grated ginger. Apparently it's how the Japanese eat it.

insubordination
Aug 25th, 2006, 09:13 AM
There are many recipes for tofu loaf.

Korn
Aug 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM
I just collected our tofu threads in a separate forum...

Pob
Aug 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Unwrap it, recycle the box. Throw the rest in the bin :D

Jamie
Aug 25th, 2006, 10:51 AM
We mostly use a recipe for scrambled tofu that comes out of La Dolce Vegan and is really yellow. But delish! :) I've also had it in loaves, cheesecake, as well as stirfry for which we buy the ready fried chunks. A long long time ago I could make a sort of faux curried egg for sandwiches with it but I don't think I have the book with that recipe in it anymore. Or want to eat faux curried egg!

I'd be interested in trying some of the suggestions on here, or even making my own one day. I think it might be a little plain on it's own but I quite like the ones with herbs and things that I've tried, although they do seem a bit weird, I suppose until you are used to them.

Jamie
Aug 25th, 2006, 10:54 AM
does anyone know what I can do with some soft silken tofu because I bought a load of shelf-stable boxes before I realised pretty much all of the recipes I had wanted firm silken...?

sugarmouse
Aug 25th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I like it breadcrumbed aswell.Another thing I like to do if im lazy is add ready made breadcrumbs from the market (check for vegan on the packet) to tofu I have shallow fried,and mango chutney..gives it a really tangy sweet n sour taste!

absentmindedfan
Aug 25th, 2006, 11:03 AM
does anyone know what I can do with some soft silken tofu because I bought a load of shelf-stable boxes before I realised pretty much all of the recipes I had wanted firm silken...?

Good for desserts, like frosting on cakes and so on. Search the net I'm sure you'll find loads :)

fiamma
Aug 25th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Chocolate mousse??????????????????????????? *Please note the writer assumes no responsibility for the content of this message*

Wildflower
Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:56 AM

I personally don't see much difference between firm silken tofu and soft silken, so I would say just pretend you got the firm!

If you want actual firm tofu, you need to buy the kind that comes in a water pack and requires refridgeration. This is sometimes called chinese style tofu, where as the other silken kind is called japenese style tofu. You need this chinese style kind to make a stirfry or bread it and fry it up. japenese style is good for making dips/puddings, smoothies, and adding to cakes and stuff like that. If you put it in the blender it turns into like a pudding consistency and you can add herbs and flavoring for a dip.

Muppet
Sep 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM

For silken or firm tofu:

Tofu & brocolli flan:

Line a flan dish with shortcrust pastry and bake for 10 minutes.

While the pastry is cooking, fry two onions in some olive oil until lightly browned. Add a handful of chopped brocolli and some tamari or soya sauce to flavour. Stir for a minute or so then transfer into a food processor with a block/packet of tofu. Whizz together until smooth.

Pour the processed mix into the part baked pastry base and top with slices of tomato. Bake in a moderate oven until the top is brown and the pastry is done. It will never "set" completely, but if you leave it to cool it will get firmer.

Nice served hot with new potatoes and peas or cold with a leafy salad.

(You can substitue the brocolli for Spinach or other greens if you dont like brocolli). (You can freeze this ready made then cook).

For desert:

Tofu & fresh fruit smoothie

Blend half a carton of silken tofu with your favourite fruit in a processor or with a hand blender and eat!
It is deliciously smooth & very healthy giving you protein from the tofu & all the goodness of the fruits.
My favourites are mango witha handful of frozen mixed berries... mmm!

For firm tofu:

Grilled tofu:

Cut a block of tofu into strips 1cm thick and dip into a saucer of soya sauce or tamari so it is coated both sides. Place under a hot grill and grill both sides until slightly crispy (dont over do it or it becomes rubbery!).

This is nice in a sandwich with tomato sauce or salad or chopped into chunks & mixed into a salad or pasta or vegetable stir fry (or even instead of meat on a pizza).

lavender
Sep 4th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Ive just made the tofu and broccoli flan from the recipe posted by Muppet and it came out lovely! I had a packet of silken firm tofu about to expire so Im really glad this came up! :) I had to of course try some before I took the photo and It tastes nicer than my cooking looks :D

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k142/lavenderbluehound/flan001.jpg

Muppet
Sep 4th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Looks lovely Lavender! :D Where's my slice? :p

lavender
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
ummm errrrrrrrrrr 'in the post' :p :D

Muppet
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:24 PM
ummm errrrrrrrrrr 'in the post' :p :D

yeah, right! i believe you.:rolleyes:

lavender
Sep 5th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Lil assures me she carried it carefully and posted it off:D

Mr Pearcore
Sep 6th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Any of you tried scrambled tofu? As in scrambled eggs. Very nice.

Jane M
Sep 6th, 2006, 04:58 AM
This coming Sunday the key ingredient on the Iron Chef is going to be tofu! Hopefully they won't do anything to gross or meaty with it.

Tigerlily
Sep 6th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Mmm, I'm craving deep fried tofu. *licks lips* I might fry up a few pieces to add to my stir fry I am planning tonight. :)

Hopefully, anyway. It's raining and I need to walk to the store...