garlic, minced or pressed
ground cumin
corn tortillas
vegetable oil
toothpicks

What You Do:

Boil the potatoes until fork soft.
Cool them down so you can manage them.
Mash them up as is, or peel and mash them. You can use a fork or potato masher, but do not blend them mechanically.
Season to taste with salt, pepper, chopped cilantro, garlic, ground cumin, etc.
Lay a corn tortilla on the counter or on a plate.
Spread some of the potato filling in the middle of the tortilla. Be careful, or it will spill out when you roll it up.
Fold the bottom half of the tortilla over the filling towards the top.
Fold the top half of the tortilla tightly down over the bottom.
Secure with a toothpick, pushing it centrally through all of the layers, or use two; one on each end.
Repeat until the filling is gone.
Heat up about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet.
Fry however many taquitos will fit on the bottom of the pan without overlapping.
When the bottoms are golden brown, flip them over and cook the second side the same way.
Drain on paper towels, salt them while hot and remove the toothpicks.

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 21st, 2004, 03:33 AM
MMM. My daughter loves tacos like this! :) we put a bit of jalapeno and salsa in with the potatoes and then top them (once cooked) with guacamole and Vegan Gourmet Cheese and more salsa!

Roxy
Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:55 AM
Yayyyyy! Thanks Foxy! I can't wait to try these now!

uww27225
Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
Those sound really good! Can I come over for dinner the next time you make them? :D

Roxy
Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:42 AM
I haven't made them yet, but I'd be glad to make you dinner lol! Potato tacquitos, guacamole, vegan sour cream, fresh green salad and how about some fruit sorbet for dessert. Is Sangria vegan? If it is, I'll make some of that too!

foxytina_69
Sep 23rd, 2004, 07:18 AM
mmmm these with guac and vegan sour cream.... and salad.. *drool*

uww27225
Oct 5th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I made these this weekend. We made an extra baked potato the night before and used that. These were awesome and filling. I topped mine with salsa.

blue
Nov 1st, 2004, 10:17 AM
I just found this thread, printed the recipe, and I'm going to make this today! It's my night off from work! Yippee! This sounds fantastic!