PDA

View Full Version : Braun electric toothbrush

justagirl8
Aug 27th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Hi, not sure if I'm putting this in the right place, but I have a Braun Oral-B electric toothbrush which I had before turning vegan, and last night I opened the last of the heads thats came with it. My problem is that I know Braun are not an ethical company so I don't want to buy any replacement heads from them, so does anyone know if you can get any good quality ones that are vegan and would fit on Braun toothbrushes? If not I guess I'll have to buy a new one, but I don't even know if there are any ethical companies that make electric toothbrushes :confused:

Justin
Aug 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM
are there animal ingredients in the brush or was it tested on animals? if you can give the item away for someone else to use that may be better than just disposing of another consumer item with a lethal battery in it.

personally, things like this need to be balanced, I've a cashmere sweater and leather hiking boots that I use. I don't want these animals to have suffered for nothing and I find them a good reminder to me of why I don't want to buy things like this anymore, as I feel uncomforable in them now.

these are just my views though, find your own way and you'll find happiness and peace

herbwormwood
Aug 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Hi, not sure if I'm putting this in the right place, but I have a Braun Oral-B electric toothbrush which I had before turning vegan, and last night I opened the last of the heads thats came with it. My problem is that I know Braun are not an ethical company so I don't want to buy any replacement heads from them, so does anyone know if you can get any good quality ones that are vegan and would fit on Braun toothbrushes? If not I guess I'll have to buy a new one, but I don't even know if there are any ethical companies that make electric toothbrushes :confused:

Do you have a dental problem which requires you to use an electric toothbrush (such as gingivitis or receding gums)?
If so you may wish to consider whether the advantages of using the electric toothbrush (keeping your teeth and avoiding dentures, which will carry their own vegan dilemmas!) may outweigh the disadvantages.
If it is just because you like it, maybe you could take the battery out and dispose of it in the proper receptacle at a recycling centre? However many companies who make tooth care products are not ethical, so you are not necessarily doing the right thing by switching. Its a difficult question!

Jacqui
Aug 29th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Hi justagirl8
I have exactly the same problem.
I figure if I give it away then someone else will still buy the heads, and if I throw it away it adds to the landfill.
I do have gum problems, and the toothbrush has helped a lot but I have not been able to bring myself to purchase more heads from P&G.:confused:

nervine
Oct 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM
are there animal ingredients in the brush or was it tested on animals? if you can give the item away for someone else to use that may be better than just disposing of another consumer item with a lethal battery in it.

If you give it away to someone else then that person has to buy new heads for it so they then contribute to animal testing.