PDA

View Full Version : vegan naan/chapatis

Cloudy
Jun 21st, 2004, 07:57 PM
Title says it all really. Just had one, quite nice - seem softer than the roti I've come to know and love!

harpy
Jun 21st, 2004, 10:19 PM
Oh good - I haven't had naan bread for many a long year. Whereabouts do they put it, with the other naan bread or in their funny-diet section (can't remember what it's called now, "Free From"?) or....?

Cloudy
Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:49 AM
Oh good - I haven't had naan bread for many a long year. Whereabouts do they put it, with the other naan bread or in their funny-diet section (can't remember what it's called now, "Free From"?) or....?

Dunno, the girlfriend bought them, haha

They look like they'd be in the 'normal' section though. They're marked as vegan on the front.

the marmite kid
Jul 8th, 2004, 08:48 AM
hello, im new here. thats good news about sainsbury's. like everyone else i hadnt had naan bread for years and missed it. tesco do a lovely vegan naan bread. i think its garlic and coriander. its definately got coriander in it. they are really nice. i can eat them on thier own or with some dal. now im hungry but i now know what im having for my tea tonight.

Gorilla
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:13 PM
i found those vegan naan breads in Sainsbury's too, they *were* in the 'normal' bread section. make sure to get the ones marked vegan of course, as many of you probably know some naan breads are made with eggs and milk.

korova
Aug 1st, 2004, 02:58 PM
i love that sainsbury's mark things 'suitable for vegans' on the front packaging, it makes life so much easier.
i'll definitely be checking the naan out!

triona.d.
Aug 31st, 2006, 06:36 PM
hi all, i've had some really helpful feedback with some yummy looking curry/dhal recipes but i want to have some naan (preferably) or chapatis with them. however i can't find any. well, i've tried Sainsburys and they had some with lots of 'stabalisers' etc. with words i didn't understand and had no idea if they were vegan or not. they said vegetarian on them. any tips guys?? i'd be very grateful!
triona

Pob
Aug 31st, 2006, 07:33 PM
Sainsbury do packs of 6 mini naan breads that are labelled as suitable for vegans. They are with the pitta breads and crumpets.

Very nice they are too.

aubergine
Aug 31st, 2006, 07:41 PM
I also like the plain naans they do. More my kind of size :D

sugarmouse
Aug 31st, 2006, 11:54 PM
I have had this issue aswell!! I love naan and chapatis..even though they dont agree with me lol.I ahve thought abot makin my own aswell but not sure wher to start!

triona.d.
Sep 1st, 2006, 01:13 PM
fab! thanks guys - just went to (bigger) sainsburys and bought some mini garlic and corriander naans labelled vegan...can't wait to try them! thanks again

Mr Flibble
Sep 1st, 2006, 01:28 PM
Incase anyone ever wondered, you can heat precooked (i.e. the stuff they sell in supermarkets) naan in both the microwave and toaster. It's not ideal, but we've only a microwave at work and sometimes I eat mini naan for breakfast on my way out heated for a couple of mins in the toaster.

Fresh naan is quite easy to make (especially if you have a dough making bread machine), you can susbstitute yoghurt for soya yoghurt in most recipes without problems. Black onion seeds are an important part thou and can be difficult to find in the UK.

cookey
Sep 1st, 2006, 08:31 PM
You can make chapatis with just flour and water. Mix together and roll out. Dry fry in a frying pan and make sure you turn them a few times. Great alternative in the mornings when you find you've run out of bread! (obviously this never happens to me, I'm very organised).

sugarmouse
Sep 1st, 2006, 10:43 PM
Cool I never did know that.I am going totry that.And if it goes wrong,I will blame you ;) :D

triona.d.
Sep 18th, 2006, 05:32 PM
i finally tried Sainsburys vegan garlic and corriander mini naans with my dhal...they were pretty good! that chapati mix sounds good though, must try it!

cookey
Sep 20th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I discovered the other day that if you add a bit of baking powder to the flour, they puff up, more like naan.