PDA

View Full Version : London 2006: Favorite vegan cafes / restaurants?

Pages : [1] 2

Korn
Sep 1st, 2006, 11:43 AM
We already have a thread about Vegan London (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79) - this thread is a poll about places to eat in London, closing December 31 2006.

Please enter suggestions about which places to include in this thread, but keep the discussions in that other London thread. I'll enter suggestions into the poll for a week or two, and then enable the voting.

When the voting starts, you can vote for one or more places.

Re. the suggestions: just list the the vegan restaurants/cafes you can think of, they don't have to be the same that you'll vote for later.

Mr Flibble
Sep 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM
I think it'd be hard to pitch places against each other as different ones meet different criteria (price, speed of service, dress code, type of food, healthiness of food etc).

If there's only 4 suggestions then the obvious choices would be the 4 most popular that we already know are the most popular, but there's tonnes of good places to eat out in London that will cook decent vegan food.

Korn
Sep 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM
If there's only 4 suggestions There are no suggestions yet, but there will be as many suggestions as you want. :)

the obvious choices would be the 4 most popular that we already know are the most popular Lot's of us don't live in London, we have many visitors from outside UK, some members are new vegans with no overview about these places, other people who read this aren't even vegan yet...

absentmindedfan
Sep 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM
VitaOrganic, Maoz, RedVeg, Mildred's are the places I've been to so far and I love all of them, VitaOrganic and Mildred's being my faves.

Korn
Sep 1st, 2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks, AMF, I just entered your suggestions into the poll...
Others?

Mr Flibble
Sep 1st, 2006, 12:15 PM
fairy snuff, in which case candidates could be

Vegveg (the chain that includes tai, joi, ctv etc)
Govindas
Pogo
Eat and 2 Veg
Vitaorganic
Beatroute
Redveg
Mildreds

Korn
Sep 1st, 2006, 01:32 PM
What do you guys think about including restaurants/cafes that are both vegan and lacto-vegetarian? As long as they have a good selection of vegan food, I don't have a problem with that.

RedWellies
Sep 1st, 2006, 01:40 PM
You already have:) Personally, I don't have a problem with that.

absentmindedfan
Sep 1st, 2006, 02:32 PM
I don't mind vegetarian restaurants (VitaOrganic is the only 100% vegan place I've been to or know of) but I'd rather not go to omni restuarants that have vegan options. The fear of cross contamination puts me off. Plus I have negative associations with omni restaurants as I usually visit them with The Family :rolleyes:

aubergine
Sep 1st, 2006, 02:43 PM
My suggestion is Spirited Palace in Crystal Palace, although I'm pretty sure me and Amy are the only two on here that have been to it.

Oh, and Pepperton UK.

GoatBoy
Sep 1st, 2006, 04:49 PM
beatroute is spelt beetrootor beat root, just had to mention.

there is some great place round the corner from it i have already forgot the name of.

and there is world food cafe in neals yard plus about three other places in the square. (i met danni minouge there, and had a lengthy conversation about massage equipment).

absentmindedfan
Sep 1st, 2006, 05:57 PM
Oh yeah Neal's Yard Cafe. They do a great vegan burger.

harpy
Sep 1st, 2006, 06:27 PM
You could add The Gate, and perhaps Kastoori (although as that's in Tooting it may not be central enough to qualify). Both of these are lacto-veg but vegan-friendly.

Korn
Sep 5th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Done - thanks!!

Are there any of these places that in your opinion should be listed (see below)?

http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/eat/index.htm
http://www.veggieheaven.com/guide/london.html
http://www.healon.co.uk/central/cfood.html
http://www.vegetarianguides.co.uk/updates/index.shtml
http://www.alotoforganics.co.uk/cats/eat.php

Gorilla
Sep 5th, 2006, 02:12 PM
i'd have to say Tai, the vegan Chinese buffet restaurant in Soho - i go there nearly every time i visit London :o

Kiran
Sep 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Speaking of Soho, I loved the Mantras on Dean Street. Myself and a friend went there a while ago and we absolutely liked it. Might be worth adding to the polls?

Korn
Sep 5th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Vegveg (the chain that includes tai, joi, ctv etc)
Maybe they all should be listed separately?

Mr Flibble
Sep 5th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Can do, though there are multiple ones called tai, so you'd need to specify the street. I personally find that the quality varies greatly between them (to the point now where I wouldn't take someone there for a meal of any importance), so maybe it is a good idea.

harpy
Sep 5th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Actually there are a few more Indian vegetarian ones that could be added to the list:

Ravi Shankar - in Drummond St behind Euston station
Diwana Bel-Poori House - also in Drummond St

Woodlands (a small chain - I most often go to the one in Panton Street)

There are probably quite a few more in this category but those are the ones I've been to relatively recently.

Gorilla
Sep 5th, 2006, 11:10 PM
i didn't know VegVeg was part of the same chain as Tai etc. i've only ever been to the one on Greek St. i can't tear myself away from there :o ;)

Korn
Sep 19th, 2006, 12:27 AM
The poll is open now...

refinnej
Oct 17th, 2006, 12:59 PM
What about Manna? It's one of my faves as well.

GoatBoy
Oct 18th, 2006, 02:12 PM
don't forget the pogo, hackney.

I work there and it rocks.

Davey
Oct 24th, 2006, 12:53 PM
i'd have to say Tai, the vegan Chinese buffet restaurant in Soho - i go there nearly every time i visit London :o

You gotta try "Peking Palace" in Holloway Road, Islington. Its the best vegan chinese restaurant I have been to since visiting the Garden Cafe in Orlando.
There is no alcohol which is a bit of a bummer, but the food makes up for it.

Your friend
Dave

Korn
Oct 24th, 2006, 02:32 PM
We'll add the places mentioned in the last few posts to the 2007-poll. Keep 'em coming!