PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here drink kombucha?

Pages : [1] 2

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 2nd, 2004, 06:35 PM
:D Does anyone here enjoy Kombucha Tea? Does anyone know what it is even? Just in case anyone is new to Kombucha, here's a bit of information:

Good Kombucha Tea is made with Organic black tea and sugar to which you add a Kombucha Culture (a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) which then ferments the Organic black tea/sugar mixture. The result is Kombucha Tea, a drink that increases vitality, boosts the immune system, and supports cellular function in general! It is an amazing tonic that has been used throughout time as part of a regimen to heal such conditions as cancer, effects of H.I.V., to lose weight, improve skin and clear up acne, and to tonify and balance out the system in general!

Kombucha Tea is best when you make your own, but in the U.S.
"GT's Kombucha" is a reliable, pure source and is available in Whole Foods and many other markets. However, it is costly ( around $3.79 a bottle) and this is another good reaason to make your own! It is so easy. If anyone is interested, I can send or post safe instructions on how to create and care for Kombucha in your own home.

Blessings and Be Well!

cedarblue
Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:49 PM
hi c.c., yes have enjoyed kombucha tea but haven't had it for a while. i usually buy the bottled when i can find it but itwould be interesting if you could post the recipe on the appropriate thread :)
i usually drink decaf tea, would that do as an appropriate base :confused:

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:41 PM
No, it must be *organic* black tea or green tea with caffeine. The culture thrives on the sugar and caffeine and there are only traces of either left in the final product. I can't post the entire thing because it's too long. I tried! :/

i_like_deer
Aug 3rd, 2004, 05:34 PM
i would be interested in the recipe too--maybe you could post it in sections.

akaredarcher
Mar 17th, 2006, 03:44 AM
I did a search of the forum to see if there were any threads devoted to kombucha. We 'started' ours last weekend with a donated culture. We are using black tea with peach in it & there is also some dried ginger in it too. I didn't mix it my boyfriend's omni mother did it when she visited over the weekend.
Question: is there anything non-vegan that I might be worried she has added to it? That is, is anything non-vegan commonly added to the mix?

For the record, I have never tried kombucha tea before but it certainly already smells interesting (in a good way!).

Diana
akaredarcher

foxytina_69
Mar 17th, 2006, 09:45 AM
yes cc, why not just post it in 3 posts or something similar?

youve sent this to me before, i had written down and lost it. id be interested to have it again :D

herbwormwood
Mar 17th, 2006, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=ConsciousCuisine]If anyone is interested, I can send or post safe instructions on how to create and care for Kombucha in your own home.

/QUOTE]
A few years ago I sent away for kombucha culture from a UK company. I followed the instructions to make the tea. I was so ill! Projectile vomiting, violent stomach pains and severe diarrhoea! I either did it wrong or it didn't agree with me. It was so bad, that I recall it with humour! However I have had some ready made kombucha cordial with no problem, it is very nice.

Blueshark
Mar 17th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Ah Kombucha Tea, sounds good.

I will have to look for it.

ConsciousCuisine
Mar 19th, 2006, 01:11 AM
A few years ago I sent away for kombucha culture from a UK company. I followed the instructions to make the tea. I was so ill! Projectile vomiting, violent stomach pains and severe diarrhoea! I either did it wrong or it didn't agree with me. It was so bad, that I recall it with humour! However I have had some ready made kombucha cordial with no problem, it is very nice.
Sounds like a bacterial contamination, poor thing :( Perhaps that was it or you just don't tolerate the culture for some other reason. Sorry that happened to you :o

akaredarcher
Mar 29th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Conscious Cuisine,
If you read this could you possibly send me the kombucha tea information that you mentioned in this thread? Ours is nearly 'ready' & I'm really interested in it now!
I hope your recuperation is going well too.
Diana
akaredarcher

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 29th, 2006, 04:55 AM
i buy these Synergy 'organic & raw' drinks that say they are 95% GT's Kombucha and have organic juice (i like ginger) added to them. they are really delicious and interesting and a good way to get probiotics since i don't like soy yogurt or sour cream. they are expensive though and i would love to make it on my own. i have seen recipes on the internet, but i would rather hear from someone who has done it. i don't know where to buy the supplies either. can i use one of my Synergy drinks as a starter? it doesn't seem like i should because of the juice. do they sell everything to make it with at Whole Foods?

Gliondrach
Apr 4th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Herbwormwood, I think I saw a notice in Almonds and Raisins, once, for someone who supplied Kombucha.

Vagetarian
Sep 2nd, 2006, 03:59 AM
My sister swears by it and drinks it every day for the general "good feeling" she gets. I tried it and didn't notice anything. For those who don't know, Kombucha is a fermented tea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha . For those who do drink it, I was wondering if you've noticed any health benefits from it.

thecatspajamas1
Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:10 AM
What does it taste like?

operasinger2686
Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:07 PM
/QUOTE]
A few years ago I sent away for kombucha culture from a UK company. I followed the instructions to make the tea. I was so ill! Projectile vomiting, violent stomach pains and severe diarrhoea! I either did it wrong or it didn't agree with me. It was so bad, that I recall it with humour! However I have had some ready made kombucha cordial with no problem, it is very nice.[/QUOTE]

Did you drink a lot of it right away? I've read that you are supposed to start off small and increase the amount every day. I've had a couple of stomach turns from too much kombucha, but it went away as my body got used to it.

operasinger2686
Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:12 PM
Here is how I was making it:

1 gallon of black/green tea (about 8 tea bags)
1 1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 C kombucha juice
mother culture

Make the tea and add the sugar. Stir to dissolve. Let it cool until it is at room temp (too hot will kill the culture). Combine all ingredients in a glass jar. Cover and let sit undisturbed in a warm, dark place for a week up to a month (depending on preferred taste). You can experiment with the amount of time. I like it after it has brewed 9-10 days. I stopped drinking it for about a month because I found that it was much too tart/vinegary/strong for my taste. I tried my friend's kombucha and it was a lot less of a kick, but still fizzy. She uses only a cup of sugar. I think I will try that, although it probably does not have the same health benefits with less sugar. I also would like to try different flavors. You can use different flavored tea bags. Or after you are done brewing the kombucha, remove the mother and add sliced fruit (strawberries, apples, lemons, etc) and let ferment for two days up to a week.

Ms_Derious
Mar 4th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I've sort of put a hold on my kombucha drinking for a bit, but I have loooads of scoobys if anyone wants me to post one to them?

operasinger2686
Mar 4th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I've sort of put a hold on my kombucha drinking for a bit, but I have loooads of scoobys if anyone wants me to post one to them?

I thought you always had to actively keep using a scoby or it would die. What do you do with it when you're not using?

Ms_Derious
Mar 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
You can just pop it in the fridge with some brew. It might need the brew changing every few months, but it'll be fine :)

operasinger2686
Mar 4th, 2010, 09:15 PM
You can just pop it in the fridge with some brew. It might need the brew changing every few months, but it'll be fine :)

So if I stop brewing all together for a while, I can just make some regular tea and replace the old brew with new, you think? Makes sense. The tea would kind of serve as a womb, so to speak.

Ms_Derious
Mar 5th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I'd recommend swapping 50% of the brewed kombucha out for sweetend tea as it needs for it to be acidic, but yeah, that should be fine :)

operasinger2686
Mar 5th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Brilliant. Thank you very much.

xrodolfox
Mar 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I can't stand Kombucha. But my wife loves it, and she makes it at home. I still get a bit grossed out the by the scobie.

operasinger2686
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I can't stand Kombucha. But my wife loves it, and she makes it at home. I still get a bit grossed out the by the scobie.

Hahaha! Yep! My husband thinks it's nasty too. I gave it to a good friend of mine who happens to be my husband's best friend's wife and now she is brewing multiple jars of the stuff in their basement. Her husband said to me, "My god, Katie, you've turned my wife into a monster with this stuff and now I have to look at those jellyfish floaty thingies all the time."

veganwitch
Mar 5th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I've had GT's kombucha on occasion and I really enjoy it. I also tried some green kombucha tea bags from Yogi. Maybe it was coincidence but I got a rash/hives on my upper torso after using it. Again, could have been coincidence or maybe my body detoxing. IDK, but I still have those tea bags. I keep wanting to try them again, but I'm a little afraid.