PDA

View Full Version : Alpro soya products

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

tofutofu
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:57 AM
Hi.
does anyone else have this?
i have just started to have it instead of rice milk because its got all the calcium and vitamins in. Including B12!! :cool:

aubergine
Sep 4th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure if it's the light one, but I prefer the unsweetened Alpro.

nickysr
Sep 9th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I found it weird that they needed a light version - since the regular version is so low in fat... another marketing tool????Aimed at the non- vegan market I think?
Is it much different in taste to the regular???

Tigerlily
Sep 10th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I think you are right, Nick. Soy milk is getting pretty "hip" with the omni dieting crowd. :p

xwitchymagicx
Sep 10th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I think maybe a lot of people these days think that they are being healthy by having soya milk in the fridge, if they actually drink it or whatever is another thing entirly though. lol

Poison Ivy
Sep 10th, 2006, 08:10 AM
I tried it a few months ago, and wrote about it here (http://veganforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=177359&postcount=81):)

veggiewoman
Sep 10th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I started off using the original one in the fridge section lol,then moved onto the organic unsweetend alpro soya milk and find it fab to use.
The good thing with it aswell is it has a longer shelf life too.

owen
Sep 10th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Tesco value soya milk for me :D

It's actually my favourite out of all of the ones I've found in the supermarkets (and 65p a litre).

At one point I was thinking of getting a soya milk maker (works out about 15p a litre apparently) -- but soon after that I simply changed to having lots of fruit for breakfast so I'm only drinking a litre a week now.

Owen

lizmint
Sep 10th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I love this stuff, I switched from the regular Alpro a few weeks ago, and find it much more pleasant. I still use the "full-fat" Alpro for some recipes (made a lovely rice pud with it last night), but find the light version better for almost everything else. It's good if you're watching your weight too - less calories than skimmed milk, whereas the "full-fat" version seems to be roughly equivalent to semi-skimmed milk.

eco
Sep 11th, 2006, 10:27 AM
I tried a carton a few days ago and didn't like it at all. To me it tasted sort of artificial and was almost as bad as So Good. Yuck! I'll stick with the regular Alpro.

Marrers
Sep 11th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Having never been the biggest fan of soya milk I have just bought some Alpro Soya Light out of curiosity and it is......FANTASTIC:D
For anyone else who's not too keen on the flavour of 'regular' soya milk I highly recommend it, there's no discernible aftertaste at all - I reckon I could get even get my mum to drink some in a cup of tea or coffee without noticing it wasn't anything other than cows milk:D
I completely agree with Poison Ivy!

Gorilla
Sep 11th, 2006, 01:04 PM
i've probably said this somewhere else but i don't like the 'light' Alpro. it still tastes of soya milk to me but with a sickly artificial vanilla flavour to it. i'd say it probably is marketed at non-vegans but a lot of what Alpro make these days seems to be going that way. whether that's a bad thing or not, i don't know.

eco
Sep 11th, 2006, 04:06 PM
i'd say it probably is marketed at non-vegans but a lot of what Alpro make these days seems to be going that way. whether that's a bad thing or not, i don't know.
There's an advert on the side of the non-sweetened for a salmon recipe so they seem to aiming more at the non vegan/veggie market. On the whole I think it's good that they are targetting non vegans as it makes many more people aware that there are tasty dairy free alternatives.

puffin
Sep 11th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Its horrible stuff. Nearly as horrible as so good :)

Gorilla
Sep 12th, 2006, 01:19 PM
There's an advert on the side of the non-sweetened for a salmon recipe so they seem to aiming more at the non vegan/veggie market. On the whole I think it's good that they are targetting non vegans as it makes many more people aware that there are tasty dairy free alternatives.
i saw that fish recipe so they're presumably not a vegan company (i don't know if they started out as a vegan company though?). i just worry that some of their products are starting to get a bit gimmicky/faddy and as the business becomes more successful it's possible that they'll lose their ethical policies. of course it's a good thing to introduce non-vegans to vegan products though, especially if that means they reduce their dairy consumption as a result.

aubergine
Sep 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM
There's an advert on the side of the non-sweetened for a salmon recipe so they seem to aiming more at the non vegan/veggie market.

That really irritates me, just like when Sainsbury's add the giant words 'juicy prawns' along with a colour illustration to the packs of wholemeal pittas. Yuck!

What's wrong with a nice picture of some falafel and salad?!?!?!?!?!?!

Tigerlily
Sep 12th, 2006, 04:00 PM
I don't remember which brand it was, but there's another brand of soy milk here and I was on their website. They had a recipe section and I thought it might have some vegan items but it wasn't vegan. Obviously their target market are just "health concious" (haha) omnivores.

Cat
Sep 21st, 2006, 10:17 AM
Does alpro soya light taste like so good? I was going to try some but I can't stand so good, so if it does there's not much point in me trying it.
I like the regular alpro soya milk best, or holland and barretts own brand.

aubergine
Sep 21st, 2006, 03:21 PM
I'd be surprised if it did as So Good isn't a proper Soy Milk, rather it's made from Soya Isolate.

gemini
Dec 11th, 2006, 01:45 PM
It's nice on cereals (the Alpro light), but for tea etc, I prefer the Tesco value to all the others.
When they ran out recently I was inconsolable! Alpro tastes like custard in tea.

RachelJune
Dec 11th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I didn't realise So Good wasn't a proper soya milk - it's my favourite brand. I don't really like the taste of the Alpro ones, especially in hot drinks. Although in my opinion the Alpro Light tastes better than ordinary Alpro soya milk.

MarkAnthony
Dec 12th, 2006, 03:32 AM
I really, really don't like this Soya Milk Light stuff. I can't actually see the point in it. Soya milk is low calorie anyway, especially if it's unsweetened, but personally I never use the unsweetened stuff, except in savoury cooking. On cereal/in tea it's Alpro sweetened all the way. It's still fortified with the vitamins and all.

No offence to anyone who drinks this by the way, each to their own obviously! Just not my bag.

Marrers
Dec 12th, 2006, 09:55 AM
It is the lighter flavour and thinner consistency that I like about Alpro Light, nothing to do with calories!
But I don't buy sweetened soya milk as I don't like it in tea (I don't take sugar).

Earthmother
Dec 12th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I like Alpro light, but I can't stand any soya in tea, it tastes like cardboard to me, I drink tea weak and black now.

ETA: Just went to try alpro light in tea and you're right it tastes like custard cream biscuits (yummy!)

Cherry
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Has anyone tried the new Alpro tofu stuff? Seemingly they're only in Asda at the moment but hopefully will catch on. Tofu mince sounds a bit squishy so am curious to see if anyone has tried it and what it's like...

:)