PDA

View Full Version : A Vegan Taste of Mexico

Tangerine
Nov 3rd, 2005, 01:16 AM
I just bought a vegan mexican cookbook called "A Vegan Taste of Mexico" Im in love with it... I love mexican food and this is perfect.

here is the amazon link for the book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1897766718/104-4368131-8156728?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

WolfRain
Oct 1st, 2006, 08:26 PM
Hey Tangerine.

Can't say Iv tryed the Mexico version of this series, but I have "A Vegan Taste of East-Africa", which is also excellent. I've also heard the "of the Carrabian" is good too. Maybe I should go for the whole series? :D

WolfRain

rantipole
Oct 5th, 2006, 04:11 PM
The one review of this book on Amazon made it sound unappealing. As a Yankee, I don't know that I would be able to convert from metric easily--and what the heck is a dessert spoon, anyway? It's a shame, because I love Mexican food and I've been missing it. I don't trust Mexican resturants not to use lard in the tortillas.

Have any other Americans used this cookbook? I'd like to hear from you so I can decide to buy this or not.

Cheers,
rant

ps--Of course, if my stupid country just used the metric system like everyone else, the problem would be solved.

pavotrouge
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:48 PM
As a Yankee, I don't know that I would be able to convert from metric easily--and what the heck is a dessert spoon, anyway?

C'mon, that shouldn't be a reason to hold back from buying a great cookbook- you can find programmes on the internet that convert measurements, and you probably will only have to do it the first time you use a recipe and write "your" numbers next to the ones in the book.

I also own and cook from a lot of American cookbooks- though I don't convert, but just estimate as I do with most recipes ;)

fiamma
Oct 5th, 2006, 11:32 PM
what the heck is a dessert spoon, anyway?

In the UK we have teaspoons, dessert spoons and tablespoons - 5ml, 10ml and 15ml respectively :) A dessert spoon is what you'd eat your pudding with, probably, hence the name... ;)

Risker
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:40 AM
I've just had a look in my copy, the measurements are listed in both imperial and metric.

Also, I can't agree with the comments about nuts in the amazon review. I've just had a quick glance through some recipes and of the 20 or so I looked at none contained any nuts with only 1 containing seeds.

There are plenty of recipes, over 100 pages, many of which have more than 1 recipe on them.

I've actually planned on cooking mexican tomorrow night, and I'll be making good use of this book.

EFCliz
Oct 9th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Can one of the people who has this book tell me if there are a lot of soya products like soy cheese etc in the recipes, or other things like seitan/tempeh? I have the "Vegan Taste of North Africa" and I really like it because a lot of the recipes just rely on vegetables and pulses. Apparently though, some of these books use a lot of substitute ingredients which I can't always get.

Gorilla
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:36 PM
i've just ordered this book along with A Vegan Taste of Thailand. i'm looking forward to trying them out, i love Mexican and Asian food.