PDA

View Full Version : Leah Leneman's cookbooks

Evilfluffbunny
May 1st, 2005, 02:42 PM
I think all of Leah Leneman's ones are good, the recipes are easily customised to your own taste as well. :)

bittersweet
May 3rd, 2005, 12:02 PM
I think all of Leah Leneman's ones are good, the recipes are easily customised to your own taste as well. :)

The one with the chocolate cake on the front - my first Vegan cookbook, buoght before I went Vegan, because of that cake - wholefoods is all very well, and she does some very nutritionally sound recipes, but nothing sells like chocolate cake.

Oh, and it's a great cake recipe too - so much easier, moister and more reliable than old fashioned "cream the margarine and sugar together and add loads of eggs" mixture learnt in my childhood...although I do up the recipe by 50% of everything to make a bigger cake!

Smoothie
Sep 5th, 2006, 06:57 PM
yeah, i have the easy vegan cooking and the vegan cooking for one. they're both pretty good.

xwitchymagicx
Sep 9th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I have the Easy Vegan Cooking, and Vegan Cooking For One recipe books by her. :)

Tigerlily
Sep 9th, 2006, 11:44 PM
I have the Easy Vegan Cooking, and Vegan Cooking For One recipe books by her. :)

Do you like them?

xwitchymagicx
Sep 9th, 2006, 11:55 PM
I've not tried many recipes from Easy Vegan Cooking, but I don't much like Vegan Cooking For one as the recipes aren't very "tasty" and a lot of them aren't what I would find appetising just by reading the recipes through.

I few of the recipes, can't remember which ones are ok though, I liked the chickpea spread or whatever is called out of it. :)

The recipes are easy to follow and stuff as well in my opinion.

Tigerlily
Sep 10th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Good.

twinkle
Sep 10th, 2006, 06:45 AM
I have 365+1 vegan recipes by her and I've had mixed results. I made a good soup almost to her recipe (swapped mushrooms for cauliflower though :) ), and I based my falafel recipe on hers (but then tweaked it quite a lot). I remember being quite disappointed with one of the cake recipes though - think it was orange cake.

I don't know if it's fair for me to rate the book based on the fact that I'll never follow a recipe without thinking I can do it better :D

Imapeach
Sep 10th, 2006, 09:46 AM
My copy of Easy Vegan Cooking is so well-loved, it's falling apart :)
They really are incredibly easy recipes!

I also modify the sugar-free Date and Pecan Cake recipe on page 201 by using the wet ingredients as a topping for waffles and pancakes.

macbeth
Sep 16th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I bought Easy Vegan Cooking off ebay a couple of years ago, but only recently started using it :o

So far I love it! The three recipes I've tried (spicy tofu scramble, lentil curry and aubergine ragout) have been gorgeous. :D I'm impressed!

veggiechick
Sep 26th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Hey!

I brought het cook book Vegan cooking for one and it was a life saver, especially when i lived at home and my parents didn't know what food to get me in. The shopping lists at the front are brill!

Although i did try to bake a cake out of another of leah's books and i must have done something wrong as it came out very flat!

VeggieChickxx

Bluey
Oct 10th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Easy Vegan cooking is good, though it is very obviously not intended for australians. She's got some great recipes in their but also a few duds.

MarkAnthony
Dec 8th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Leah Leneman makes some fantastic introductory cookbooks, and her recipes are generally very healthy too. I think as I get better at cooking I'll find myself using her books less and less though.

Tigerlily
Dec 8th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Easy Vegan cooking is good, though it is very obviously not intended for australians. She's got some great recipes in their but also a few duds.

:confused: How wouldn't it be intended for Australians?

MarkAnthony
Dec 9th, 2006, 02:17 AM
I think cooking measurements/names for foods and utensils tend to vary from country to country. They do say the USA and UK are two nations divided by a common language and that nowhere is this more evident than in translating cookbooks from American to British terminology. Leah Leneman provides instructions/measurements for both British and American readers but I imagine it differs further still in Australia.

Tigerlily
Dec 9th, 2006, 04:02 AM
:) Oh yes! I think they use all metric.

Tin-Tin
Apr 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM
i have the vegan cooking for one
and although the recipes are al lfine
i did tend to find that rather a lot of the meals were indian
which is fine
but sometimes it needed a bit more variation i think
it had a pretty cool idea about trying to like plan the meals and told you what to buy for the week so as to do all of the meals
that was pretty useful
only i wasn't to keen on having somebody else plan all of my meals
so you ended up just swapping them about anyway
and the nthe weekly shopping guide kind of falls apart on you

but with all that said and done
its still a pretty good book to have
and ive even lent it out to my universities chef in hope of some better meals

Tofukitty
Oct 29th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Vegan Cooking for One was one of my first cookbooks and I used it practically every week when I was cooking for one. I found it very uselful as most recipes cook for at least 2-4 which meant as a single I would be eating the same dish a few times which can get boring. Also I wasn't left with bits of vegs left over that might not last until next week. I still refer to it, the celery soup is a good one when I have lots of celery and want to so something out of the ordinary with it.