PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Grillers?

veganfever
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:20 AM
The Oryginal Griller by Morning Star, is anybody familiar with this product?
They sell it in Washington state and I like it very much, however, the fact that it's in a regular frozen food section, never in health food part of a store wories me. The list of ingredients looks OK, nothing suspicious.
Why veg*ns would't have it?

Roxy
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:23 AM
I've never heard of that brand up here in B.C.

But just a thought - is the company a reputable company? ie, not like Kraft who make the famous Boca Burgers.

veganfever
Sep 23rd, 2004, 01:37 PM
I have no idea. I the company because of this and other products. They have a few others, like those immitating sausage links. BTW, I am not seeking realy meat substitutes at this point, these products are just good in their own right.
Thanks, Roxy, I will look little more at the company by doing some research on internet. :)

uww27225
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:04 PM
I don't know if you mean the grillers patties or the crumbles. The original grillers patties have egg whites and whey in them. It does appear that the crumbles are fine. From what I've found, most morningstar farms products are not vegan. They definitely target omnivores looking to eat healthier and not veggies. (Which is disappointing b/c my local supermarket carries the line and they look so good.) Morningstar Farms is owned by Kellogg's. I don't know if that's a bad thing, or not?!? Here's a link to their website where they list their products and ingredients. www.morningstarfarms.com

veganfever
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:39 PM
Thank you , uww27225, for the info and the link. Yeah, I checked their website and grillers and sausage links are no good for vegans since they contain milk and egg products. However Better'n Burger and Harvest Burger appear to be OK, I just didn't try them, yet. I will do that as soon as I can find them.
I'm done with the grillers. :)

mysh
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:52 PM
Better'n Burgers contain lactic acid.
Harvest Burgers look ok, BUT, they contain "natural flavors from non-meat sources", as opposed to Better'n Burgers that contain "natural flavors from vegetable sources".
I don't know if it means something, and I would still eat Harvest Burgers until I hear specifics.
Now I only wish we could get White Wave to put the same thing on their silk to somewhat ease our minds...

uww27225
Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:17 PM
What is White Wave? You've mentioned it before mysh and the name doesn't sound familiar.

mysh
Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:21 PM
White Wave is the company that makes Silk soy milk, tofu, etc. They are now owned by Dean Foods, an evil general food company.

Gorilla
Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:42 PM
i'm getting confused by these companies - it seems from searching the internet Dean Foods own a company called Morningstar Foods, which i take it is different to Morningstar Farms ?? :confused:

we don't have most of these brands in the UK but we do have some veggie meat substitutes made by one of the Morningstar people - i don't think any of them are vegan so i don't buy them anyway though....

mysh
Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:53 PM
Yeah, it is all very confusing. That's why I'm not (yet) completely vegan - I only look at the ingredients on the label of the product, not at the company behind it.
Oh, and Morningstar Farms is Kellogg's.

Zool
Apr 30th, 2005, 11:55 PM
I try to aviod morningstar farms products. Almost none of them are vegan friendly. Boca burgers are a much better company to go with. They're completely vegan and they taste almost the same as morningstar ones.

veganfever
May 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
I try to aviod morningstar farms products. Almost none of them are vegan friendly.

Yes. I think they have one of the burgers vegan friendly, but unfortunately for them, I am not interested in burgers anymore. After I switched to vegan about 6 months ago I am not interested in meat substitutes in general.
Instead, try mixing romain letuce with some dill and flat parsley and if you feel adventures add maybe broco sprouts and some belgium endive and you will think that you are in heaven eating it. No dressing necessary of any kind. :)

bulletproof
May 2nd, 2005, 05:15 PM
boca burgers?