PDA

View Full Version : tesco jam doughnuts - vegan?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Barry
Sep 4th, 2006, 12:53 PM
can anyone clear this up for me? I've heard contradictory claims and i'd love if they were cause coffee and doughnuts is a bit of a tradition in our house that till now i've had to skip.

twinkle
Sep 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Gosh, I remember the Tesco's doughnuts controversy waaaaay back - amazing how rumours persist - I blame undated webpages ;)

Best way to find out is to ask Tesco themselves, in fact, that's always the best way if things aren't labelled because then they might start realising there's a demand from people to know what's in their food.

As far as I am aware they are not vegan. I think there's a thread about doughnuts somewhere on here so you could do a search, or this query will probably be merged with it later on anyway...

twinkle
Sep 4th, 2006, 01:10 PM
As to the tradition, maybe you could make a new one - there are lots of vegan cookie and other sweet snacks around these days - I favour Doves Farm tasty bars - they're like gooey rice crispy treats in bar form, and they do a diet version that's alright too.

Or you could try making your own doughnuts? If you have a deep-fat fryer I suspect it would be pretty easy.

Barry
Sep 4th, 2006, 01:30 PM
i searched the site all right but i only found two references to the doughnuts which weren't very helpful! making doughnuts sounds good although i do live in a shoebox with a kitchen the size my of my arm, and i don't own a deep fat fryer - thank god, i'd be fat as a fool.

twinkle
Sep 4th, 2006, 01:33 PM
...i don't own a deep fat fryer - thank god, i'd be fat as a fool.

Hee, me too :)

Sorry you couldn't find anything useful - maybe the thread I'm thinking of got culled :(

RedWellies
Sep 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I'm sure I asked to look in the ingredients book at a Tesco's bakery and they weren't vegan, or at least had a suspect ingredient as I didn't buy any! But I could have my supermarkets muddled up!

Mr Flibble
Sep 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Perhaps you were looking for this thread (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468)?

also i heard that Tesco's jam doughnuts were listed as vegan in the Animal Free Shopper, but they'd started using eggs in the recipe before the entry could be removed from the book, and apparently many people were eating them without realising.

Korn seems to have removed some of the advanced search options which doesn't make it very useful :confused:

PygmyGoat
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I had one of the Tesco vegan-friendly product list that they send out (if you ask them to) and the jam doughnuts were on it, yet they have been removed from the latest Animal Free Shopper, haven't they (the UK Vegan Society book).
V. confusing :confused: .
Still, shouldn't be eating doughnuts anyway I s'pose! :rolleyes:.

...........on second thoughts, though, maybe I'll e-mail them and find out :D !!

Gorilla
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:04 PM
i don't trust supermarket bakery products that don't list the ingredients on the packaging, so i just avoid them regardless. the supermarket can change suppliers frequently so that one batch may be vegan and yet another may not. i think this is why it's so confusing.

i buy the carob coated doughnuts from Veganstore - ok they're not the same (and a lot more expensive) but at least they're definitely vegan! ;)

Barry
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:12 PM
cheers for the info everyone, think i'll be giving them a miss. they sound dodgy...

sandra
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I think I'll write to Tesco and just confirm whether their doughnuts are vegan or not. I wrote to them about 2 months ago regarding ingredients in something else and am still waiting a reply, so I WON'T hold my breath!

Barry
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM
jesus, that's customer service for you......

sandra
Sep 4th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Yes, I get the feeling they don't want me to know what's in some of their products! I think I'll ring them tomorrow and see if I get on any better!

lavender
Sep 5th, 2006, 10:27 AM
The bakery department say that they dont contain milk - but...... they contain milk powder - so they are a No - but at least one baker has learnt what a vegan is, he said they dont contain any meat so yeah they are, he was then told what a vegan is :)

Its probably just as well, Im trying to lose weight as it is :D

lozza
Sep 6th, 2006, 11:15 PM
mmm donuts. yes...just as well. i am trying to control my weight also.

i think if i knew any supermarket donuts were vegan, i'd be off buying them all the time..and getting fat :D hehe.

Korn
Sep 7th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Korn seems to have removed some of the advanced search options which doesn't make it very useful :confused:

I haven't removed any search options.... please send me a PM about this! :)Thanks...

catala
Jan 19th, 2007, 02:00 AM
I used to work in the bakery in Tesco, and I remember they were vegan :confused:

I'll have to pop into the bakery tomorrow and check if they are still Vegan :rolleyes:

Melanie
Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
Damn I want a doughnut now

boomshanka
Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Damn I want a doughnut now

Which one though Mel, so many to choose from. yummmm. The good thing is they are low in fat, if you eat them quickly. ;)

catala
Jan 24th, 2007, 01:58 AM
I have checked the ingridients and according to it, yes, they are vegan.

Melanie
Jan 24th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Which one though Mel, so many to choose from. yummmm. The good thing is they are low in fat, if you eat them quickly. ;)
-Grins- I shall eat them really quickly then :D And the yummiest one :p

:eek: Like really? Really really really vegan? You sure? -Bounces-

Veryblue2
Jan 25th, 2007, 12:01 AM

Hi Catala,

Firstly, can you post the list of ingredients? and secondly do all tesco stores use the same recipe/ingredients or are they pre-made and they just 'finish them' in store?

catala
Jan 25th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Veryblue, tesco jam doughnuts are premade and they just "finish them".
If you ask one of the assistants in the bakery (The ones who display the bread) they SHOULD provide you with the list of ingridients.
Note that tesco launched iced ring doughnuts in a box of 6 a few months ago. I wanted to know if they were vegan but they didn't have the list of ingridients, which makes me assume now that the one I read was an old one.
I will jot down the list of ingridients and post it shortly.

Kiran
Jan 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM
We went to Tescos last night. Our jaws dropped when we pinned our eyes on two last doughnuts. I spoke to one of the bakers there who was very helpful. He said that there is no milk or eggs in the doughnuts and he was pretty sure about it as they were made in-store. There are also no artificial colourings/ingredients. Hence I could confirm its vegan, as declared by Tesco.

RachelJune
Jan 25th, 2007, 10:10 AM
We went to Tescos last night. Our jaws dropped when we pinned our eyes on two last doughnuts. I spoke to one of the bakers there who was very helpful. He said that there is no milk or eggs in the doughnuts and he was pretty sure about it as they were made in-store. There are also no artificial colourings/ingredients. Hence I could confirm its vegan, as declared by Tesco.

Might I also add, they were very deliciously yummy! The first time I've tasted jammy doughnuts in 4 years, mmmm :D Absolutely divine...