PDA

View Full Version : Russia

Ara
Sep 4th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Hello! I'm going to Russia on wednesday, and in retrospect i should have posted this before...hehe. Anyway, i'm pretty worried about eating over there and i'd quite like to know if there's any fail safe foods i can get out there? And any hidden nasties i should look out for, like animal stuff in breads etc. I'm going to be around Moscow and St Petersburg, Thank you!

aubergine
Sep 5th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Have a great trip. I hope to visit Russia some day :)

Kiran
Sep 5th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Hi Ara. Have a wonderful trip.

Please see the useful info provided here..

http://www.unclepasha.com/veg/linsk2.htm
:)

Gorilla
Sep 5th, 2006, 01:05 PM
i'd love to go to Russia too. hope you have a great time and find some decent food to eat. :) i've heard in Eastern Europe the food is often very meat-based but you might be lucky. cabbage soup and beetroot soup are apparently traditional dishes but i don't know if they're commonly made with meat stock (and they're not really that exciting i guess!). i speak a bit of the language but not enough to be much help i'm afraid :o

Ara
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Thank you guys! I'm very excited, now i've just got fit everything in my suitcase...:D

Kiran
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Good luck.. Don't forget your passport.:D

Or as they as in Russian .... Возьмите ваш паспорт. :D

Ara
Sep 18th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I'm back! I had a nice time, but i have to warn any future travellers that it is very difficult to eat out there, even in major cities. They just don't understand what a vegan is unfortunatly, and they really don't understand if you ask them if there's dairy in bread hehe. So i survived on veggies and fruits - probably done me good!

antman
Sep 18th, 2006, 04:10 PM
They just don't understand what a vegan is unfortunatly

To be fair to them, I sometimes have that problem here ;)

Welcome back :D

aubergine
Sep 19th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Good to hear you had a good time :)