PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for Beef Stock in Soup

Tangerine
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I was making this mixure of bean soup the other day - I added the beans, tomatos, corn, celery, onions... but the recipe asked for 3 cans of Beef Stock - I went to the store to see if there was something I could substitute the beef stock with but I didnt see anything that didnt contain beef or gelatin in it... -- I ended up making it without the beef stock - but it wasnt really "soupy" it was more just beans and veggies which was good but I was trying for a soup.

so I was just wondering, when making a dish/ meal like this - is there a good substitution? or maybe I don't need those 3 cans of beef stock and I should of just added more water...

anyways just curious:):):)

Mr Flibble
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
just experiment using different vegetable and mushroom stocks :)

Haniska
Sep 5th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Lipton onion soup mix baby:)

Tangerine
Sep 5th, 2006, 04:01 PM
ok... so glad I asked you all... because I don't know a lot about cooking, but that onion soup mix sounds nice :)

Mr Flibble
Sep 5th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Lipton is owned by Unilever (http://www.animalaid.org.uk/youth/active/unilever.htm).

Kiran
Sep 5th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Try adding some boiled red-lentils. This will make the soup thick and chunky. Try experimenting. Adding some grated carrots could help too.

harpy
Sep 5th, 2006, 08:58 PM
As well as veg. stock you could try adding a spot of soy sauce, or that stuff called Braggs Liquid Aminos which you can buy in wholefood shops (like soy sauce but a bit less salt).

I find these give soups a bit of extra body (without needing to resort to the dead kind, aargh :eek: )

Tigerlily
Sep 5th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Marmite? I never used it (not very popular in Canada) but I heard it is good in soups.

Mr Flibble
Sep 5th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Lipton is owned by Unilever (http://www.animalaid.org.uk/youth/active/unilever.htm).

Marmite is owned by Unilever (http://www.animalaid.org.uk/youth/active/unilever.htm) (in the UK at least - it's 'owned' by other companies in other countries but i'm not sure who is getting the royalties since marmite was invented here).

Tigerlily
Sep 5th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Or whatever Marmite subsitute.

Unilever probably owns your bumhole too, did you check for their stamp?

Tangerine
Sep 5th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Lipton is owned by Unilever (http://www.animalaid.org.uk/youth/active/unilever.htm). hmmm... maybe I can find a generic onion soup mix ... since Im on a tight budget :)

thecatspajamas1
Sep 6th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I made soup today and for the broth I used "Better Than Bouillion". You add one spoonful for each cup of water and it makes a vegetable broth.

You can also make your own vegetable stock if you're up to it.
Here's one recipe from vegweb.com:

Master Vegetable Stock

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

3 pounds assorted vegetables -- celery,
zucchini and onions (heavy on the onions)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 gallon water

Directions:

1. Wash, but do not peel the vegetables. Dice coarsely or slice using the medium slicing blade of a food processor.

2. Saute in hot oil until vegetables are tender.

3. Combine the vegetables with water in a large pot; cover and bring to a boil; uncover, reduce the heat, and cook at a rapid simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.

4. Strain the stock, and discard the vegetables. Freeze the stock in portions suitable for your familys needs.

Preparation time: 25 minutes, Cooking time: about 2 hours

kriz
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:14 AM
VEGETABLE BROTH!:) I love the cube ones, they're much tasties than any other broth out there. I can't imagine my kitchen without them...THAT and garlic you got to have.;)

Haniska
Sep 8th, 2006, 02:08 AM
hmmm... maybe I can find a generic onion soup mix ... since Im on a tight budget :)

Make sure you check the label, the Food Lion ones around here have milk.

Tigerlily
Sep 8th, 2006, 02:23 AM
I found an organic onion soup mix, it's vegan and as has simple ingredients. I don't remember the brand name.

foxytina_69
Sep 8th, 2006, 02:41 AM
lol tigerlily, can you STOP making me bust out laughing today. lol. that was so funny lol. omg.

uhm for the question just use vegetable stock. its the same thing. like harpy says, a tablespoon or so of soy sauce adds extra body.

Tigerlily
Sep 8th, 2006, 02:57 AM
I'm in a funny mood. I just had strong, sugary tea. :)

DianeVegan
Sep 30th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Another good beefstock substitute is a dark or red miso, such as those made from barley. Adding a bit of red wine (if desirable) and some soy sauce (mushroom soy sauce if you can find it) during the cooking, then the miso at the end is the closest approximation I've found.

Dori
Oct 24th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Marmite? I never used it (not very popular in Canada) but I heard it is good in soups.

Marmite is great. I use it to flavour many dishes. I even spread it on toast and eat it like that. Yum.