PDA

View Full Version : Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

Demon
Jun 17th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Anyone know of any vegan restaurants in Cheshire/Staffs?

Olivers in Ironbridge (http://www.oliversbistro.co.uk/) is very nice. Veggie with lots of vegan options. Check whether they'll be open before travelling though.

Demon
Jun 17th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Local to me is Cosmopolitan (http://www.cosmopolitanrestaurant.com/) in Chelmsford, Essex. An omni Italian restraunt with a vegan menu. Food is delicious but pricey.

Demon
Jun 17th, 2006, 09:02 PM
The Three Tuns (http://www.threetuns-coachinginn.co.uk/) in Pettistree near Woodbridge/Ipswich did me proud when my family met there for Mother's day this year.

They had not catered for vegans before, but when I got there, the chef had enjoyed researching the subject and gave me a menu with several choices for each course. The food was delicious. It's probably best to phone ahead to ensure they have the ingredients in.

RedWellies
Jun 24th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I had lunch today at Pie and Mash in Cheltenham. Lots of vegan options...pies, sausages, mash, vegan breakfast. And there was apple crumble and custard for pud! All certified organic. No smoking.

Catie
Jun 29th, 2006, 04:33 PM
The Ritz- Wow, for my friends birthday we are having afternoon tea at the ritz and they're making a special thing for me. I'm so excited!

Pob
Jun 29th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I had lunch today at Pie and Mash in Cheltenham. Lots of vegan options...pies, sausages, mash, vegan breakfast. And there was apple crumble and custard for pud! All certified organic. No smoking.Oooh - I will have to look that up next time I am down that way visiting my mum:)

AbFab
Jul 5th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I've only been for tea (drink not 'supper') but I thought I'd mention Service-Heart-Joy in Wimbledon in case any of you are down this neck of the woods for the tennis! 191 Hartfield Road, SW19 3TH. Basic, not open late in the evening, so not a place for dinner. Yet. Cafe style. Very yellow building on the corner, you can't miss it!

Christie
Jul 5th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Haha no I got excited just buying toothpaste there. I was like OH MY GOSH vegan toothpaste. Haha. They definatly had a variety. However it took us more than half an hour to walk there from town, and after a hard days shopping on a very warm day I was so tired to notice everything! I need to go back there again!

lozza
Jul 5th, 2006, 11:11 PM
yeah its a bit of a trek. we had to get a tram just a few stops past the city centre, cos we were going to that friends wedding. and it was a good 15min walk from the nearest tram stop! so its a long way to go on a hot day!

hehe it was funny cos i went to the cafe and i was like *squeek* "VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE!" ... "VEGAN CARROT CAKE!!".. then we went to the shop and i always get so excited around vegan cosmetics/bodycare etc.

:)

Kevster
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I always seem to go to The Basement when i'm in Manchester, it has great food and cakes. I have heard good things about cake at the Earth cafe too....

Went along to The Grove Cafe today for vegan pizza, and ABSOLUTELY GUTTED it was shut for the Summer, i only ordered a pizza from there a week ago! Anyhow, then had to drag Kiran along to Tariqs for food which was certainly pleasant. Definitely have to make a trip to Dandelion and Burdocks sometime soon over in Sowerby bridge.

Kiran
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Anyhow, then had to drag Kiran along to Tariqs for food which was certainly pleasant.

Yeah the food was good. I would have however preferred a smoke free environment. This restaurant permits smoking inside. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: The area being small, does not allow the restaurant to designate a smoke free section.

Tariq's is easy to find. Its just off Otley road near the Skyrack Pub and opposite to St. Micheals Church in Headingley. A short walk from the Headingley cricket stadium.

alisont
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Ive been working on a summer scheme for adults with learning difficulties at the college i work at this week. Most days we have had picnics or made wraps for lunch so ive been fine but on Weds we went to Pizza hut, I was thiking of taking my own lunch but looked at the online 'allergy' info bit of their website - they finally do a 'vegan' dish, all the pizza bases have whey products in:( but I had a penne pasta dish - basically cold,soggy penne pasta with a spicy roasted vege sauce - nasty pasta but the sauce was fine. Not somewhere I would ever go myself to eat at, but at least i found something to eat, whilst at work.

Why they have to put dairy in the bases is beyond me, Pizza Express is miles better for pizzas compared to PH!

Alison:)

lozza
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:34 PM
are you sure the pasta is vegan in pizza hut? i'm almost 100% sure its egg pasta. be careful!

i agree tho...pizza express pizzas are absolutely fantastic. and full of flavor. miles better than pizza hut. pizza huts pizzas are all frozen whereas pizza express make theirs fresh :) i think anyway. mmm i want pizza now.

alisont
Aug 6th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Yes Pizza hut do use mainly egg pasta:( I did go in on both the vegan/allergy stance as i am very intollerant to egg, in fact I asked to see the packet of pasta and the penne was dried egg free! I didnt risk any pasta off the salad cart as thats listed as fresh egg type.

When i was veggie and ate small amounts of egg - it made me so ill within a short time, i was fine after this meal, but unless its work i shall not be in PH again!

High time they altered their menu!

Alison

RachelJune
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:31 AM
I would recommend the Rainbows End Cafe along the high street in Glastonbury. I still try and hop on the bus (takes over an hour since I moved to Weston) every other weekend just to eat there!

It's totally veggie, and although there are usually only 3 or 4 vegan options, the food is always fantastic. You also get rather huge portions, good for those of us with large appetites :D The vegan chocolate fudge cake has to be tasted to be believed - pure heaven!!!

Then there's also Cafe Galatea further up the high street, again totally veggie and with quite a few vegan options - but unfortunately not much in the way of vegan deserts :mad: Still, a nice place to go for a meal in the evening.

Korn
Aug 14th, 2006, 01:43 AM
This is a long thread.... maybe it would be a good idea to divide it in two (a London and non-London thread)?

Marrers
Aug 14th, 2006, 01:50 AM
But I thought posts about London restaurants were already being moved to Vegan London thread?

catmogg
Aug 14th, 2006, 12:18 PM
This is a long thread.... maybe it would be a good idea to divide it in two (a London and non-London thread)?

Good idea... :) We could have a north/ south divide...Lol? Its really hard to just go on this thread and look for a specific place, i.e. Birmingham, etc...

cedarblue
Aug 14th, 2006, 12:24 PM
true catmogg

Marrers
Aug 14th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I agree, when I am going to visit a certain area there is probably a lot of info here but (although I haven't tried a search) I imagine it is hard to access.
Maybe things would be clearer if the place was put in the 'Re' title by the poster, or the mod if the poster forgot?

(Although I think that is only an option on an 'advance' reply, not a 'quick reply' which I'm sure many people, as well as myself, tend to use.)

aubergine
Aug 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Marrers - Is there anywhere in Croydon town centre that's Vegan friendly?

RedWellies
Aug 14th, 2006, 12:45 PM
If you have Google Earth, you can see many of the places on there. Cumin spent hours putting them on.

Marrers
Aug 14th, 2006, 12:55 PM
VeganDrummerSam asked about Croydon.

Not really anyting particularly vegan friendly in the main part, but you can get a nice vegan wrap at Dough Masters (2 branches) if you tell them you have allergies and make sure they remove any cheese off the counter or the equipment. They are so used to people having cheese with everything so be very clear.
http://www.doughmasters.co.uk

You might get some vegan pasta or an indian, a sarnie in Pret or falafel wrap in Starbucks if you are lucky, the usual fall back options.
What time of day are you going and can you travel out a bit?

If so Pepperton UK is well worth a visit. It's a five minute walk from Selhurst train station (which is one 3 min stop away from East Croydon or less than 10 minutes on the bus from West Croydon).

They have a good range of savoury mains and starters - the West African Stew is my favourite main. They also do great vegan cakes (chocolate and coffee & walnut cake- mmn!) They do take away too.

It is also an art gallery, the paintings on the walls are for sale and there are more pictures on display in the basement and upstairs.
http://www.peppertonuk.co.uk/

aubergine
Aug 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I keep meaning to go to Pepperton UK, and African food is excellent so now I have another reason :)

I'm not that familiar with Croydon anymore, but I would probably be going to Beanos on a Monday at some point so I'll have a look out for those. Failing that, I can always head round to Pepperton UK then too.

Thanks.

Marrers
Aug 14th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Pepperton is closed on Sunday evenings and Monday all day and evening. :(

I'd go to Dough Masters, the small branch isn't too far from Beanos. It is in that little arcade off the High St (almost opp St Georges Walk) that leads to the bridge to the Surrey Street (market) carpark.
The wraps are sort of like a roti - I usually have aubergine and spinach filling.