PDA

View Full Version : Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

gertvegan
Sep 23rd, 2004, 11:20 AM
Here is the thread to tell others about the restaurant, cafe, pub etc in the UK that you ate at recently.

I ate at www.cafemaitreya.co.uk in Bristol last week after watching supersizeme. Its a cosy little place, a 15 minute bus trip from town, with a great atmosphere and lovely staff. I've been there several times and never disappointed.

I had wild mushrooms en cocotte with smoked paprika and rosemary crusti folowed by warm salad of crispy nori with marinated pak choi, sprouts, mung beans and toasted cashews with horseradish dressing. Oh and a couple of vegan beers. :)

moonbeamzzz
Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:27 PM
on world vegan day,lisa and i found ourself eating lunch at shekinashram,dod lane glastonbury.its a spiritual community of vegans(who said they have honey on the premises :( )who eat lunch at 1.30 every afternoon and if you contact then before noon,they can provide extra meals for 6 quid.we were led to a table that was decorated with many,mant serving dishes full to the brim with the most beutiful raw vegan food imaginable,the food is served buffet style.lisa and i had never tasted such an extensive selection of raw food and it was all mind bogglingly yummy!it included some over the top yummy pates served with crackers that had been made in a"dehydtrater",and the salad dressings tasted like they had come straight from heaven!i must make a point of emailing them about the honey thing as it is nonsensical :confused: the meal was a double celebration as it was also our 2nd anniversary :) with sincere love from ruthie.xxx.

Gorilla
Nov 4th, 2004, 08:43 AM
wow, that sounds great Ruthie, i don't think i've ever seen a raw cafe/restaurant before. does anybody know of any more in the UK?

p.s. congrats on your anniversary! :)

gertvegan
Nov 4th, 2004, 02:11 PM
HERES (http://www.shekinashram.org/) a link to where ruthie and lisa stayed.

And HERES (http://www.heartspring.co.uk./) a link to the Heartspring raw guest house in Carmarthen, S.Wales.

Both were found on www.shazzie.com ;)

cedarblue
Nov 4th, 2004, 02:20 PM
HERES (http://www.shekinashram.org/) a link to where ruthie and lisa stayed. ;)

i notice they have a raw food weekend planned for next april!

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 13th, 2004, 06:15 PM
A couple of times a week I eat food from The Harvest Moon Cafe, Holyhead.
(Totally Vegan). :)

tails4wagging
Nov 20th, 2004, 06:19 AM
restaurant in our city had a full vegan menu with at least a dozen choices!.
The waitress heard me say that you can get a vegan parmesan called parmessano and she asked where from so they can get it in!!. I had mushroom stroginoff made with soya cream/soyamilk.
Even pudding was a vegan choice of apple and banana fritters made from tempora with soya cream.

I told them I was impressed and suggested to them one step further to offer vegan wine.

I think I will book this place for our Christmas bash with my vegan friends.

Mystic
Nov 20th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Thats great to hear. I hate going to restaurants when they don't understand the concept of vegan (i.e: chicken stock, fish, egg, cheese etc...). I hope this means that the knowledge base is widening and it is fantastic that they took that parmesan thing on board. I love being taken seriously :)

Artichoke47
Nov 20th, 2004, 01:23 PM
You're making me jealous! :D

I'm glad you found a great place!

Roxy
Nov 20th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Wow! That Italian Restaurant is VERY impressive! You've very lucky to have that place near you :)

tails4wagging
Nov 21st, 2004, 07:31 AM
Yes, The restaurant struggles I think to get custom, so they maybe trying to entice a broader clientelle.

We , five of us are going to book out Christmas bash there. :)

Gorilla
Nov 21st, 2004, 08:02 PM
that's brilliant tails, hope you have great time at your Christmas do :D

tails4wagging
Nov 24th, 2004, 04:49 PM
I think it is D'Pasquili (spelling!) above the Woolwich building society in Lincoln city centre. Near the stonebow arch.

This is the one that had about 1 dozen vegan choices. See My previous thread about it.

cedarblue
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
we are going out to a local carvery (uuurrrrgghhh) for husbands works meal out next week. just rang up on the off chance today of checking if the nut roast is suitable. it isnt but the chef is going to do me peppers stuffed with exotic couscous with a vegetable sauce.

i'll have melon cocktail for starters and skip dessert, just have coffee.

well done the feathers pub/restaurant, wadesmill, hertford, herts :D

gertvegan
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Theres supposed to be a new veggie restaurant that's opened in Barry, called Austins. With an abundance of vegan options.

Austins Vegetarian Restaurant, 40, Broad St, Barry, 01446748888.

Use it or loose it. Vegan times are changing. :)

gertvegan
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:09 PM
If anyone remembers the old "supernatural" cafe in newcastle upon tyne, you may wish to know that a health food store (almonds and raisins) has taken over the premises and now serve vegan food in a small cafe. Its on the upper level, princess square, near the central library, off northumberland street. The menu appears to be almost totally vegan, wih some veggie desserts. It gets very busy at lunchtimes, unfortunately only open during the day. The menu varies daily. Take away is available too.
Taking over the world. :)

tails4wagging
Jan 30th, 2005, 06:17 AM
in Lincoln. They have a vegan menu that offers a wide choice of vegan dishes.
A few of us went there last night, lovely grub. Four of us had vegan pancake stuffed with vegetables with a creamy tomato sauce. They even asked us where they can get vegan cheese from. They are hunting for vegan wine as well. It is such a welcoming place we have decided to go there on a monthly basis.
I was told that the day before, a customer came in that was a coeliac and she was so pleased there was a choice suitable for her.
I wish all restaurants were like that.

If you are in Lincoln sometime, the restaurant is called 'pasquali' and it is above the woolwich building society. 'Use it or lose it'.I have recommended it to the vegan society.

gertvegan
Feb 25th, 2005, 09:36 PM
There is now a fab Vegetarian Cafe in Swansea serving 99% vegan food called The Retreat, 2 Humphrey St, SA1 6BG. We want more vegan customers and vegan volunteers to help out in the cafe and the mind body spirit centre. We have rooms to hire too and the best vegan chocolate fudge brownie in Wales! All welcome. info@TheRetreatCentre.org

cedarblue
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:13 AM
i went here (http:/www.rainbowcafe.co.uk/) last night with husband and some friends.

you cant book so its a bit of a bit and miss affair as to whether you can get a table, we got there at 7.15 and only just got in - its very popular.

we all had wonderful food, i had the peshwari curry with rhubarb & orange crumble tart with vegan custard for dessert..mmmmmm

its open from 10am to 10pm. open for snacks, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner if ever youre in cambridge.

found it via the happy cow (http:/www.happycow.net/index/html) site.

:)

Aurora
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I have been there cedarblue. The first time I went there the food was lovely, but the second time I went it was a bit non descript really. I also found that it was a tiny little place and a bit dismal and they tended to put you into a little corner if the main tables were taken.

I think the only reason it is so popular is that it's the only vegan restaurant in Cambridge, which I find amazing as the place is full of students!

My son is in Manchester at UMIST and the amount of vegan restaurants/cafes is wonderful!

Saying that, I live in Essex and well......................let me know if you ever find anywhere that even caters for vegans!

gertvegan
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Aurora, how far away is the vegetarian place, Cafe Pulse, 80 Leigh Road, Leigh-on-Sea from you ?

Aurora
Feb 28th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Gert

About an hour. I live near the Suffolk border whereas Leigh on Sea is next to Southend, much closer to London.

Maybe if I am ever in that area I will give the Cafe a go.

Love
Feb 28th, 2005, 01:45 PM
The best vegan pizza in the solar system can be found in a Merseyside resteraunt called The Place in Aughton,why not give them a tinkle on the telephone and make a booking on 016955 423334 ;)

gertvegan
Mar 7th, 2005, 02:06 AM
From veganvillage.co.uk (http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/notices.htm)

New Vegan Cafe and Shop near Doncaster

We are a new vegan cafe and shop in Fishlake, a small village in between Doncaster, Goole and Selby. Organic fruit and veg, wholefoods, organic vegan cafe. Set in lovely countryside on a 4 acre organic smallholding. www.fieldgatecentre.org

ender
Mar 15th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I don't know if anyones said this one but...

Whale tale cafe in Lancaster is pretty good!

good range of vegan and ethicaly sound food!

also has a health food shop downstairs and an action center downstairs were some Animal Lib stuff goes on! if your in lancaster and need feeding you could do considerably worse than whale tale! Not cheap as far as my student wallet is concerned though!