1 large can of chickpeas
2 tbs sweet relish
4 tbs vegan mayo
celery (optional)
green onion (optional)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
dash of dill
pepper and sea salt

mash chickpeas with fork. mix in relish and mayo. add spices. serve :)

i came up with this suddenly and its very delicious. i cant stop eating it :)

(its delicious on toast with lettuce and french dressing and bbq sauce, and then baked. the french dressing, when baked, tastes just like cheesewhiz)

Gorilla
Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:55 PM
hey that sounds great foxytina. i tried some ready-made vegan tuna i bought and i thought it was horrible. i'll have to try your recipe, thanx :D

foxytina_69
Sep 24th, 2004, 01:04 PM
:)

Artichoke47
Sep 24th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Wow, that was creative. Does it really taste like tuna, though? I'd rather taste chickpeas than tuna. I'm sure it doesn't smell like it. ;)

foxytina_69
Sep 25th, 2004, 02:44 AM
actually when u open the can of chickpeas it sort of does smell like tuna. ofcourse it doesnt taste fishy but its very delicious nonetheless. u can add kelp powder if u want that sea taste :)

Artichoke47
Sep 25th, 2004, 02:59 AM
I'll have to smell my chickpeas next time. ;) LOL

Cool! Thanks for the recipe.

foxytina_69
Sep 25th, 2004, 07:53 AM
everybody ive gotten to taste this (all non-vegans) loved it.

Steph
Jan 28th, 2005, 01:16 AM
This stuff really is scrumptious Foxytina, I'm making it tonight as I am running low on spreads/filling for sandwiches (note to self: BUY MORE AVACADOS TOMORROW, I'm going into avacado withdrawal!) I've made it before, and the recipie I've made calls for cooking/simmering the chickpeas in water for at least 1/2 hour to an hour, this really makes alot of difference, makes the texture even more "flakey", and really delish! :)
(p.s. I like a slug of the lemon juice in it and ALWAYS use the kelp granulars to give it the great sea taste...)

Kiva Dancer
Jan 29th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I make something a lot like this except I use a lot of white onion, some dried garlic, and a few dashes of hot sauce. :)

Tigerlily
Jan 30th, 2005, 12:02 AM
I disliked tuna and all seafood when I was omni (guess I still do :p).

But this sounds delicious!

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM
i have another mock sandwich filling that i don't seem to be able to find in any of my vegan cookbooks so i will share it here.

MOCK CHOPPED LIVER

6T vegetable oil
3 onions, chopped
1 1/2c fresh or frozen shelled peas
1c green beans, roughly chopped
15 walnuts (30 halves), shelled
1/2 firm tofu cake
salt & fresh pepper

heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and fry until softened and lightly browned. add the peas and beans and season with salt and pepper to taste. continue to cook until the beans and peas are tender and the beans are no longer bright green.
put the vegetables in a food processor, add the walnuts and tofu and process until it forms a thick paste. taste for seasoning and if it seems a bit dry add a little more oil and mix in thoroughly.

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:47 PM
MUSHROOM CAVIAR

1/2oz dried porcini mushrooms
1/2c water
3T olive oil
1lb fresh mushrooms, roughly chopped
10 shallots, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2T port
juice of 1/4 lemon
3 scallions, thinly shredded
1T chopped fresh parsley

break up the dried mushrooms, put in a bowl and soak in the water for about 30 minutes.
heat the oil in a pan, add the fresh mushrooms, shallots and garlic and fry until browned. season with salt. add the soaked mushrooms and water and cook until all the liquid has evaporated. add port and lemon juice. continue cooking until the port and lemon juice have evaporated and the mixture is brown and dry.
put the mixture in a food processor and process briefly until a chunky paste is formed. serve garnished with the spring onions and parsley.

emmy
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I may try this tuna recipe! I tried the mock tuna mix stuff from the vegan store and it was absolutely VILE. Ended up chucking the whole lot out :(

cedarblue
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:57 PM
i made alissa cohen's mock salmon and hated it, i'm not sure i like the sound of mock liver???

EnviroNut
Jan 14th, 2008, 10:33 AM
E.F. here is a recipe for mayo I found http://www.vegcooking.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=74&Search=mayo....dunno how it tastes because fortunately I can get vegan mayo where I live.

BTW your photo is absolutely adorable, that puppy is so freakin cute!!!

EnviroNut
Jan 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Aw she must be a huge slobbering mess now then huh! (I mean it in the cutest way possible....puppy slobber is acceptable in my book lol).

BTW I found some more mayos for you to try if you'd like...I always like to have a bunch of different variations on food to try...

http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/tofumayonnaise.html made with tofu

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=43

thats from the post punk kitchen...aka website of the author of vegan cupcakes take over the world....vegan with a vengeance etc...so I'd think that would be a good bet too, there are a lot of good recipes on there so I'd recommend looking around a bit on that site! =)