PDA

View Full Version : Spirits, Booze, Liqueurs...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Gorilla
Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:59 PM
ok not really a recipe, but i used to love irish coffee and didn't think it was possible to make it vegan. but thanks to a local veggie restaurant, i've learnt that you can use a thin soya cream like Alpro Soya Dream if it's available in your area, just the same as you would with dairy cream. hopefully most other soya creams would work in a similar way.

it separates a bit more than dairy cream would, but tastes just the same (my non-vegan friends said so!)

hope someone finds this useful!!! :)

uww27225
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:01 PM
I find that very useful Gorilla. That tip will come in handy when the temperature really starts to drop around here. Irish Coffee is excellent on a cold night, though I find a warm glass of brandy is quite soothing too! :)

NorVegan
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:06 AM
And coconut cream works fine to :)

shez
Aug 10th, 2007, 06:49 PM
hi everyone,

I was just wondering if any one in the u.k has heard of desperardo bottled lager. Many of my friends drink it now and again, it is served with a wedge of lime, it looks nice but i never order it 'cause i always assume that lagers i dont know arnt veggie, i stick with my carlsberg or bud or grolsh. but since i like tequila (not the ones made with a worm..gross) and lager i was wonderin if anyone knows if its vegan. maybe we should make a list of special largers not just the really well know brands. cheers :)

Poison Ivy
Aug 10th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I've heard of it but don't know of it's vegan credentials. It's made by a French company if you want to contact (http://www.brasseriefischer.com/brasserie-fischer.htm) them and ask (unfortunately their website is all in French, as is the contact form but it may still be worth a shot!!:))

shez
Aug 10th, 2007, 07:40 PM
hey up. thanks ive emailed them (in english , unfortunatly i cant speak very good french) not sure if i'll get a reply? i'll keep you updated. However i know that many country's in europe have a purity law. i know pretty much all german lagers (made in germany) have to be veggie. I'm not sure about france though?

loratwopointone
Sep 5th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I used to drink Desparados before I was vegan, haven't since though. I'll pop along an e-mail in french =]

It's bloody lethal!

Mr Flibble
Sep 5th, 2007, 09:30 PM
However i know that many country's in europe have a purity law.

The only one I know of is Reinheitsgebot, which hasn't actually been law in Germany since 1993. It was replaced with Vorläufiges Deutsches Biergesetz (Provisional German Beer Law), which allows cane sugar to be added, which can be non vegan (use of bone char in processing; particularly popular in ths US). I've been led to believe by a polish manufacturer that bone char processed sugar is illegal there, but I don't know the status of Germany.

As for tequilla, I've yet to meet anyone who has personally gotten a reply from a manufacturer confirming its vegan status, or for that matter seen any dated replies from companies at all (I simply don't trust lists online which do not state any evidence or dates that it was acquired proving to be recent). If someone is able to produce or acquire one I'll order a bottle straight away.

Poison Ivy
Sep 5th, 2007, 09:43 PM
If someone is able to produce or acquire one I'll order a bottle straight away.

Ooh, sounds like a challenge!!:p:D

Poison Ivy
Sep 6th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Mr Flibble, prepare to go shopping:)

Jose Cuervo's response

September 5, 2007

''Dear Ms. ******* ******,

Thank you for taking time to contact Jose Cuervo. We appreciate hearing
from our consumers because your feedback is important.

In response to your inquiry, Jose Cuervo products are vegan, we do not
knowingly add animal products/byproducts to any of our our products. If
there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to
contact us.

Once again, thank you for contacting Jose Cuervo.

Sincerely,

Alexia W.
Jose Cuervo Consumer Representative

Vive Cuervo''

Mr Flibble
Sep 6th, 2007, 10:15 PM
blimey, you were quick!

I've written to both them and their owner (diageo) twice in the past few years and heard nothing back.

Will place an order tomorrow :)

Mr Flibble
Sep 18th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'll start then.

Last year for Xmas I made sloe gin (http://photos.offline.org.uk/showpic.php?picid=7427) (using the recipe from http://www.sloe.biz 's homepage) and Christmas vodka (using my own made up recipe). Both were a complete success, so this year I'm making twice as much of the vodka and am making damson gin (which I wanted to make last year but couldn't due to lack of damsons), using fruit kindly donated from Phoenix Rising's garden. I'll be using this Damson Gin Recipe (http://www.sloe.biz/pip/viewtopic.php?t=60). Last year's sloes have been in brandy for the past 9 months (to be honest I'm a little scared to drink it!), although a few of them made their way into some dark chocolate. I'm looking forward to making gin soaked damson crumble this christmas :D

Christmas Vodka

1 litre vodka (medium quality)
4 cups (if from frozen then thawed) cranberries, pricked
2 sticks of cracked cinamon bark (about 4 inches long each)
2 cracked nutmegs
20 cloves
2 tsp corander seeds
4 inches of split vanilla bean
220g castor sugar

Put all the above in an infusing jar/demi-john and shake violently for as long as you can bare. Do this each day for the first couple of weeks, then whenever you remember. If you don't have all of the above then don't worry, the essentials are just cinamon, cloves and some sort of hard sour berry. Some sugar is required, but potentially not as much as 220g - I like mine sweet. By xmas it should be dark red and tasting fantastic :)

I made several cocktails with it, but can't remember quantities and don't seem to have written them down! One that was particularly good was some of the above, some red vermouth (run a search here for confirmation of Nolly Prat being vegan - it's the only one I've found that is - unfortunately not that easy to get hold of), orange juice and potentially cointreau (again run a search for Remy), thou it's all a bit hazy. Basically the idea is cold mulled wine; it went down a treat served from red flasks at last year's santacon (http://photos.offline.org.uk/displaypicture.php?returnpage=yes&galleryid=278&orderid=77) :D

emmapresley
Sep 18th, 2007, 11:09 PM
omg..fabulous..thanks for this!

Corum
Sep 21st, 2007, 08:21 PM
h'okay Mr Flibble, you asked for this!!!

Right then chaps, Booze update! :D

1. Sloe gin/vodka -

5lbs Sloes picked up the road at the Hindover
much vodka and gin - about three bottles of vodka and two bottles of gin
2 1/2 lb of demerara sugar
to make five 1ltr parfait jars worth (bought those much cheapness at Lakeland).

the sloes are now starting to dissolve - just turned the five 1ltr parfait jars over and given them their twice-weekly shake

2. Sloe Wine
6lbs sloes
8pts boiling water
4lbs sugar
1lb barley
1oz yeast

- fermenting like a beaut - next Wednesday it'll be time to strain it and add the yeast, then bung the whole lot into a demijohn.

3. Blackberry Wine
6lbs blackberries
1 gallon water
4lbs sugar (this time brown unrefined)
1lb barley again (using the boiled water to extract more sugar from the grain - similar to the beermaking technique, sparging)
- likewise, smells lovely, seriously fruity pungent smell.

neither of the two wines above have got sugar or yeast in yet and they are already going well ;)

4. Lemon Verbena and Apple Wine, according to the new Black Dog House recipe book :D (bookfair leftover dummy books from work - all freebies, just blank pages and blank covers, made by the printers so we know how big to make covers, etc.) -

2oz lemon verbena,
1 gallon water
juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange,
2 1/2 lbs sugar,
four apples locally sourced (our own tree) - normally you use raisins, but Hemlock can't stand raisins! :D
1 cup of strong black tea
bakers yeast (we know, it'll only be about 14% but we haven't got a brewshop for 15 miles and we're a tad skint till payday)

Method -
stick lemon verbena and apples into a pillowcase (instead of a muslin bag as -- see above) and steep in the water/yeast/sugar, steep for three days (oops... forgot that bit, it's been in for five).
Wait another week for ferment to die down
pour into demijohn for secondary ferment.
bottle after three weeks.

So there you go... our own booze! ;)

plus, we've still got loads of blackberries and sloes in't freezer to make more!

Mr Flibble
Sep 21st, 2007, 10:33 PM
Some pictures:

Last year's sloe gin:

http://photos.offline.org.uk/showpic.phpcrappyforumpicid=7427

This year, accompanied with some of the sloe brandy that I finally decanted this evening (very strong, slightly too sweet, will probably mix well) I started off the damson gin:

http://photos.offline.org.uk/showpic.phpcrappyforumpicid=8379

http://photos.offline.org.uk/showpic.phpcrappyforumpicid=8380

Hemlock
Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
hahahaha!!!

here's one of our jars of vodka! :D

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/witchesabroad/IMG_1016.jpg

and we've got five of those on the go!

RedWellies
Sep 22nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
Mmmmm. I love sloe gin. And those others look great too!

Mr Flibble
Oct 21st, 2007, 09:31 PM
This year's Xmas vodka:

http://food.offline.org.uk/xmasvodka.JPG

I would have started it earlier, but I couldn't find the first cranberrys of the season until yesterday.

Cumin
Oct 21st, 2007, 09:37 PM
OMG! - I really really REALLY would like a little glass of that at the mo :). I'm really looking forward to christmas now, and I think you might have some visitors at your place Mr F . ;)

Mr Flibble
Oct 21st, 2007, 11:12 PM
:eek:

I totally forgot to prick the cranberries. They may have to be fished out tomorrow ;)

EcoTribalVegan
Dec 9th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Hey guys. I was a big egg nog fan (mostly because of the creamy texture, the thought of eggs in it always grossed my out a little). So I'm looking for a vegan egg nog recipe. I've seen a few online but I'm not sure how good they may be so I thought I'd go to the ultimate source of vegan information:D.

Hopefully you can send them ASAP (since there's a social gathering tonight).

Fuhzy
Dec 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM
You could always buy some Silk Nog if you are in a pinch...

EcoTribalVegan
Dec 10th, 2007, 04:42 AM
I don't even think they have that product. I made a version I found online. To be honest, I could only taste rum and a little bit of sugar...

Roxy
Dec 10th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Eco - Vitasoy make a product called Holly Nog that's available in Canada. Tried and tested by me - and it's awesome! Sorry - I haven't any tried and tested home made recipes.

bryzee86
Dec 10th, 2007, 05:02 AM
I have NEVER had egg nog.I'm curious though. What does it taste like? Will the seasonal silk nog still be in stores whe I visit NYC in March?