PDA

View Full Version : Potato salad

foxytina_69
Sep 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM
this recipe tastes just like my moms potato salad, and its vegan.

ingredients:

2 pounds of potatoes (it equals about 7 to 8 medium potatoes) peeled
about a cup of peas
1 cup of vegan mayo
scant 1/8th cup of sweet pickle relish (it equals about 2 tablespoons)
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons minced onion
2 teaspoons mustard
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
sea salt and pepper to taste

directions:

peel potatoes, chop each potato into quarters, and then boil until theyre soft but firm when you poke them with a fork. drain.

prepare dressing with all other ingredients except peas, whisk, and set aside.

mash the potatoes roughly, leaving them a bit chunky. add the peas, (i just use frozen peas and add them frozen, they thaw right away with the warm potatoes) and sauce, and mix until combined.

taste to see if you need more salt or pepper.

you can also add chopped celery or carrots or whatever else you fancy in your potato salad.

this is delicious!

this is best when you let it sit for atleast 4 hours or overnight before eating.

mmmm good old fashioned potato salad!

Mr Flibble
Sep 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Vegan mayo does indeed work very well in potato salad. I generally just use chopped pre boiled/cooled new potatoes and smoother tham in it with chopped chives. Makes a quick and dirty picnic/buffet item.

cedarblue
Sep 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM
exactly the recipe i was going to suggest mr f! :)

foxytina_69
Sep 9th, 2006, 01:06 AM
no offense but it sounds kindof boring to me! lol. :D but i suppose it would be good if you wanted a really quick potato salad.

cedarblue
Sep 9th, 2006, 10:47 AM
yes it is a simple recipe - just right for those times when you just want something natural, simple and fresh tasting without too much fluffing around.

i like the sound of the fresh peas in yours (i would have them raw) and i might add some raw corn niblets sliced off the cob with the mayo and herbs too!

foxytina_69
Sep 9th, 2006, 10:57 AM
yum!

my mom always added peas to her potato salad, thats why i do lol. she always mashed her potatoes too, for her potato salad. you can also chop the potatoes and THEN boil them until cooked and have it that way. i like my potato salad mashed though.

Tigerlily
Sep 11th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Mmmm. I think this week, I'm going to make a nice meal out of veggie burgers, oven fries, potato salad, and coleslaw. Mmmm.

foxytina_69
Sep 12th, 2006, 02:07 AM
mmm that sounds good tigerlily!

Gorilla
Sep 12th, 2006, 01:08 PM
i've never heard of potato salad being made with mashed potatoes before. i make mine the 'boring' way too because i'm lazy ;) but yours sounds good, Tina :)