PDA

View Full Version : Biscuits

jamboxrock
Sep 13th, 2006, 02:43 AM
The American kind, that is...

My mom made the best biscuits when I was a kid, and I've been craving them for so long. I tried making the Easy Biscuits from La Dolce Vegan a couple times, and while they were okay, they just weren't the same. So tonight I veganized the actual recipe my mom used (from Betty Crocker's cookbook) with pretty good results.

Baking Powder Biscuits

Prep: 10 min.
Bake: 12 min.
Makes 12 biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
1 tbs sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening using pastry blender or criss-crossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in milk until dough leaves side of bowl (dough will be soft and sticky).
3. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 10 times. Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured 2 to 2 1/4-inch round cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart for crusty sides, touching for soft sides.
4. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Serve warm.

Next I want to try the buttermilk variation:
Decrease baking powder to 2 tsp; add 1/4 tsp baking soda with the sugar. Substitute buttermilk for the milk. (For vegan buttermilk, add 1 tbs lemon juice to 1 cup non-dairy milk and let stand for 10 minutes.)

jamboxrock
Sep 14th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I bought Vegan with a Vengeance yesterday and there's a buttermilk biscuit recipe, so I suppose I'll try that next...

Melanie
Sep 15th, 2006, 10:22 PM
mmmmm sounds yummy